TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MyVisionIsDying Offline
Talk Nerdy To Me.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Shane

should I be worried? - June 10th 2018, 04:15 PM

Ok so a couple of days ago I got a small cut on the pad of my small toe and stepped out onto the decking in the garden an hour or two after my mum cleaned it so it wasn't dirty- however, my paranoia and anxiety is getting to the best of me so should I be worried about getting tetanus because of it?

My mum has been trying her best to drill into my head that I'm irrationally overthinking but my anxiety likes to drive the point of me stepping out onto the decking, in spite of it being cleaned, because it's quick to get dirty again...

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: should I be worried? - June 10th 2018, 05:55 PM

Tetanus is actually rare, and according to this NHS article, there were only 4 cases of tetanus in England in 2016.

It usually occurs with deep wounds or wounds where dirt has got inside. If the decking was clean, and you have a small, but not deep, cut then you should be okay. You may have also been vaccinated against tetanus as a child or teenager.

For now, try not to worry. Keep the cut clean and if you are concerned, be sure to wear something on your feet as a protective measure. If you notice other symptoms or anything that alarms you, then it's best to talk with your doctor. That said, since you get anxious, it might help to find ways of reassuring yourself instead as sometimes we can spend too much time worrying about our health that we notice things that are normal.

Take care

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MyVisionIsDying Offline
Talk Nerdy To Me.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Shane

Re: should I be worried? - June 10th 2018, 06:10 PM

Thank you.

I've been so anxious that I suggested to my mum that I get the shots I missed as a teenager; it would give me the chance to alleviate my phobia of injections and it will give me a peace of mind. My paranoia has played up because I missed them.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount29

Edit avatar

Re: should I be worried? - June 10th 2018, 07:03 PM

I think it would definitely be something to bring up to your doctor, explain to them about the cut you've gotten (but Holly is right, you'll only get tetanus if the wound becomes infected either by dirt or bacteria etc) and inform them that you wish to get a tetanus shot.

In the United States, you need them every ten years or if you get a deep wound after the first shot.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: should I be worried? - June 10th 2018, 08:16 PM

Hey there,

I agree that Tetanus is quite rare; if you are worried about it and have the ability too maybe you could go to the doctor to discuss it. Talking to a doctor about the chances of you getting Tetanus would probably help alleviate some of the anxiety you are having over the matter. It might even be possible for you to call your physician and explain the situation over the phone without having to schedule an appointment.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread