TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount27

Edit avatar

Pain from cigarette smoke - July 31st 2018, 03:40 PM

I was going to make this anonymous but oh well. I go to trade school and the majority of people in my class smoke cigarettes. They always ask me to come with them when they go smoke, because they want to talk to me. And I do, so I donít have to sit alone and do nothing during lunch breaks. They usually have more than one cigarette so in total Iíd probably inhale smoke from 6 cigarettes in a half hour period? I donít smoke, by the way. I donít know if that was already obvious. So at first, the smoke didnít bother me like I didnít have any problems. But recently, Iíve noticed that when Iíve inhaled the smoke, it really hurts. And I feel sick. I feel like I really canít stand sitting there when thereís smoke anymore, I feel like Iím going to pass out or vomit. Itís like everything feels instantly really dry. My mouth and my throat, even my tongue.

The pain actually starts inside my nose or in my throat, depending on whether Iím breathing through my nose or my mouth. And I get a headache. Then my lungs start hurting. Itís like stabbing pains in my chest, especially when I breathe. So Iíve been home for almost 11 hours now and my nose and chest still really hurt. I still have a bit of a headache. Iím most worried about my chest because itís been feeling hard to breathe. Like I can only take shallow breaths. I usually use the treadmill at night for 30 minutes and tonight, I almost collapsed because I couldnít breathe properly whilst walking.

Is it weird to be having this kind of reaction, especially all the chest pain and shortness of breath? And is there any way to basically decrease the chances of developing a disease caused by the cigarette chemicals? Iím worried Iíve already done long-term damage, just by sitting there and breathing everything in...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Pain from cigarette smoke - July 31st 2018, 08:25 PM

If you don't smoke, and have regularly been around several smokers, then the symptoms you are experiencing (headaches, dry mouth, chest irritation) are common of second hand smoke. You can check out short and long term symptoms here (UK based website).

What's concerning in your post is the severity of the symptoms you are experiencing. Maybe you can get checked out by a doctor? If you have any underlying health issues, such as asthma, it may experience why the smoke affects you so much.

Generally, the longer you are exposed (as in regular exposure for years), the higher the chances of doing long term damage. The only way to decrease the chances would be to avoid being around the smoke. Maybe you can compromise and only spend half of the time around those that smoke? Or at least excuse yourself when you start feeling the effects of the smoke?

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
RalphMcDonald Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Pain from cigarette smoke - August 7th 2018, 11:38 AM

You are suffering from what is called as passive smoking or second hand smoking. Try to reduce your exposure to the second hand smoke, keep yourself away from the people who usually smoke. If you are not doing so then it becomes a big problem for you. So its your decision how to take care of yourself.

Last edited by RalphMcDonald; August 8th 2018 at 07:47 AM.

Closed Thread