TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

who gets diagnosed with osteoarthritis as a young adult? - December 27th 2018, 01:03 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of rape or abuse, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I feel so awkward and ashsmed. I probably did it to myself because I slouch too much. I told my housemate and she was like "wow isn't that for older people? what did you do to yourself to get such a thing?"

I am hurt that my father used to hit me on my back so I sit up straight instead of actually taking me to a doctor. He blamed everything on me as if I can control it all. My skin picking problem i got smacked for it and emotional abuse for having acne. For flat feet, he stepped on my toes when I walked around ulthe apartment barefoot because slippers were uncomfortable. For my speech problems that worsen with anxiety he yelled at me and made me repeat my sentence over and over again till I said it "proper"

For my eating he emotionally abused me and tried putting me on diets and convinced me I am fat.

For self harm he called me a tiger and told my sisters "a bear bit her" and humiliated me.

For having sensory issues, when I expressed what triggered me/bothered me thinking bringing awareness would help him help me, he went ahead and did those exact triggers.

And every time I get diagnosed with something whether physical or mental /emotional I think how I am only 24 but u feel like I'm so old and ready to retire. No child should have had to gone through what I went through and now I'm going through an old person's disease.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Saudade. Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: who gets diagnosed with osteoarthritis as a young adult? - December 28th 2018, 04:41 PM

I'm so sorry to hear your father put you through so much abuse in your childhood. Nobody deserves to be treated the way you were, and you are such a lovely person. You have the right to be angry with your father for the way he treated you, but do not make this out to be your destiny. All the physical abuse he put upon you, don't let that define your diagnosis. You need to learn to manage it. Perhaps go to physical therapy? They have exercises there that help you strengthen whatever part of your body that needs strengthening.

You've got this, Violet. If you ever need to talk, I am here. <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: who gets diagnosed with osteoarthritis as a young adult? - December 28th 2018, 07:43 PM

While osteoarthritis is often found among older people, it can occur at any age. There are many factors and though poor posture may be one of them, it's highly unlikely that you brought this on yourself. You may want to read this on the symptoms and treatment options of osteoarthritis.

I'm also sorry and saddened to hear the way that your father abused you, especially with things that you were struggling with already. You needed and deserved help and support, and you got the opposite from your father.

Going through such abuse and trauma throughout your life and having to deal with health issues can take it's toll. It makes sense that you would feel physically and mentally tired because of all that you have been through.

Hope you can find treatment that helps

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread