TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ryiga Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Losing weight - December 12th 2019, 07:35 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, because it contains weight figures, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hi!! Hope everyone's doing great.

I'm a 17 y/o male, at around 5'9"-5'11", (not sure with the american metric system), and i'm slightly plump. I got a bit of belly fat and hip fat that i'd like to lose and make a positive change to myself as well. I'd go to the gym but I live in a small town without one & i've got/had asthma so I can't really run long distances either, otherwise i'd be choking and gagging for air haha-!

Perhaps somebody could share their own experiences with weight loss and share some advice on how I could help myself?

Last edited by Spoons; January 10th 2020 at 02:15 AM. Reason: I am adding the prefix due to the potential for weight figures in the responses.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Staff On Leave

I've been here a while

Re: Losing weight - December 18th 2019, 10:54 PM

Go for walks! It doesn't have to be long ones, just ten or fifteen minutes every day.

Water retention can build around the waist and hips, so watch out for that.

Lift some weights, but be sure to check with a doctor before you do anything strenuous that can lead to bodily injury.

Articles Writer Newsletter Editor Resource Editor Social Media GuruChat Buddy

TeenHelp Member since 2010

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Re: Losing weight - January 9th 2020, 03:51 AM

Hi there!!

I have my own weight loss journey to share.

After the age of puberty, around 11 or 12 years of age (I'm female), I began gaining weight rapidly. I had been skinny as a child, so this was pretty unprecedented. I think I gained up to 15kg, reaching my peak of 60kg at the age of 14. I did whatever I could to lose weight - running, jogging, skipping, you name it. But nothing worked.

But one day in school we had a zumba session. It not only was fun, but I began to think that I could potentially use it as a weight-loss method. So I went home and played some zumba dance videos on my laptop. I started copying their moves. In no time, I started zumba dancing in the confines of my own room. On many occasions I also used hip-hop and K-pop dance routines. K-pop dance routines make an excellent cardio workout actually.

In 3-4 months, I lost up to 7 kg. And over the next two years, I lost up to 12 kg. By the age of 17, I was around 49kg. While these helped aided my motive, the major reason that led to my weight loss was when I identified what was causing the weight gain in the first place.

I realised I was eating too much rice. I would have 3 rice-based meals a day (I'm Indian) - first for lunch at school, then another rice meal when I came back home from school and finally at night for dinner. I was a vegetarian, so there was no meat in my diet as well, yet the rice consumption was ruining my body shape. So I cut down on the rice meal I had after I came back from school; that was me overeating anyway. This, along with my zumba, made all the difference.

I don't mean to stay you should eat so little that it is unhealthy; instead try to examine what you eat and consciously try to make improvements. The key thing is that you are neither overeating nor undereating; you should be eating nourishing, whole foods that give you proper nutrition. Trust me, that will help in your weight loss as well.

Today, I am 21 years old and weigh 48kg. I exercise regularly, around 3 times a week. And I do various forms of activity - walking, jogging, cycling, dancing. And I still continue to eat healthy.

It is highly possible. All you have to do is identify what is causing the weight gain. With a healthy, balanced diet (no processed, junk food; just stick to whole foods). If possible, try to incorporate more plant-based foods into your diet. Many people have seen immense improvements to their weight after going vegetarian. Other than that, try to find a form of physical activity (zumba, karate, pilates, swimming, etc.) that you enjoy. Don't run on the treadmill when it is causing you more trouble than benefit.

Good luck - and feel free to ask me any more questions!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière

I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Losing weight - January 9th 2020, 11:14 AM

Exercise supplements fat loss but what (and how) you eat is the most important thing. If you're eating calorie-dense foods that provide little nutrition at all, and end up at a calorie surplus at the end of each day, you're going to gain weight.

Think about what foods you're currently eating and what you could replace those foods with. E.g. White rice for brown rice. White bread for brown bread.. and so on. What is the nutritional factor of the foods you're currently eating? Do they provide any vitamins and/or minerals? Do they provide much protein, if any at all? I'd also like to point out that eating fats are not a bad thing. In fact some fats are actually good for us, though fat in general is often marketed to be a bad thing to get us to spend more money elsewhere (such as fat-reduced yoghurt which is filled with sugar/sweeteners instead). Trans fats, also known as polyunasturated fats, are bad for the body. Try not to eat them if you can. Are you getting any omega 3 & 6 in your diet? Also, make sure you try and stay hydrated (water!).

There are lots of ways you could exercise, too. As has already been suggested, consider going for walks, or a 10-30 minute jog around your local area will help.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Losing weight - January 11th 2020, 01:08 AM

I am currently on a weight loss journey one of the things I find that is like really useful for me is walking everywhere instead of getting on a bus (unless of course I am like going out of town then I will get a bus), switching sugar to sweetener, I also have asthma but as long as you always have your reliever inhaler with you running shouldn’t like be to much of a problem - you could start by running say for 5 mins and as your stamina increases etc you will be able to run for longer periods of time etc, also the Nintendo Wii if you have on try the Wii fit or the just dance games or a workout dvd one around dancing that you can just like do from the comfort of your own home. You could also use a BMI checker if you google BMI checker it will come up with some. Also eat less carbs and try and have balanced meals

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
lovelysunshine Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Losing weight - January 31st 2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryiga View Post
Hi!! Hope everyone's doing great.

I'm a 17 y/o male, at around 5'9"-5'11", (not sure with the american metric system), and i'm slightly plump. I got a bit of belly fat and hip fat that i'd like to lose and make a positive change to myself as well. I'd go to the gym but I live in a small town without one & i've got/had asthma so I can't really run long distances either, otherwise i'd be choking and gagging for air haha-!

Perhaps somebody could share their own experiences with weight loss and share some advice on how I could help myself?
Hello
Knowing that you want to make a change is the first step in making a change. Now it's about taking action! The small things really DO make a difference.
Focus on eating healthier. Try eating more plantbased, nutrient dense foods. Foods that will help keep you feeling full and satiated. Limit processed foods. It's not about depriving yourself. It's about creating healthy, SUSTAINABLE changes that will benefit you in the long term.

Make sure you drink plenty of water. Aim to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. Try to avoid soft drinks as they contain a lot of unnecessary sugar. This is what I mean about making small changes.

In terms of exercise, you don't need to do hardcore exercise. Aim for at least 30 minutes a day. Gradually build it up. But do take it easy. Try to stay active during the day. Or find an exercise that you'll find enjoyable with family or friends! Exercise doesn't have to be boring. Challenge yourself. Don't be afraid to try something new
After all, you don't need a gym to exercise. Go for a walk around the block. Buy an exercise machine if you can! I have an exercise bike that I use at home. This allows me to exercise in the convenience of my own house

The most important thing you can do is believe that you can and will lose weight. It's what YOU tell yourself that really matters.

If you have any other questions i'd be more than happy to help

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Losing weight - January 31st 2020, 02:56 PM

1) make sure you are sleeping enough. Being sleep deprived is associated with increased weight and obesity for a variety of reasons

2) eat healthy food... all of your exercise efforts will be wasted if you're eating too much and eating a lot of cookies and other junk

3) find exercise that works for you, like yoga (Sarah Beth Yoga, Yoga with Adrienne -- both on YouTube), and you can likely find a lot of other home work outs for things like weight lifting (you can do a lot of things like push ups, burpees, lunges, squats, etc without ever needing weights, though if you can buy some dumbbells at a local Walmart you might find it helpful). You can also go for walks.

4) drink 2 litres of water a day - this is sort of the minimum, you might need more for your specific needs and lifestyle