TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Sex and Puberty (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f6-sex-puberty/)
-   -   That time of month! (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f6-sex-puberty/t159889-time-month/)

Katielovebug11 February 28th 2020 06:37 PM

That time of month!

Does anyone else have like random periods throughout the month? I thought your period was supposed to happen right around the same time every month? Mine is off like a week or so every month. I mean it happens near the end of the month but sometimes 5 days early or 4 days late. Is this normal for me?

DeletedAccount71 February 28th 2020 09:08 PM

Re: That time of month!

Some variation in the menstrual cycle is normal, especially if it's just by a few days and especially if you're still a teen. It's more like when you're weeks or months off that it's unusual. If that happens, or even if you're just really concerned, talk to your doctor. If you want a more regular period some forms of contraception can help make that happen, too.

Ennui. March 1st 2020 04:49 AM

Oh boy, my period is fun and comes as a surprise every time. :bleh:

But yeah, I agree with what Jordan said above that sometimes there are natural variations in the menstrual cycle that make it come a little bit earlier or later than normal. There are a lot of apps out there that help you to track your cycle though, so maybe you can start to notice if there are any patterns or trends going on. I use an app called Clue, which also lets me input other factors such as what type of birth control I am on and if there is anything else going on such as taking antibiotics, being sick, etc.

I can understand how this would be frustrating though, especially if you're being taken by surprise. I've had lots of nice underwear ruined that way, erp. Like Jordan said, there are forms of contraception that can help regulate your period if it is an issue for you. There are several different types, so you can discuss the one that will be right for you. Some examples are the birth control pill, which has to be taken every day, the arm implant, which is good for 3 years, and the IUD, which are good for several years as well. There are even more than that! So, if this is something you're comfortable with, I'd ask your doctor.

Even if you don't feel comfortable with contraceptives (which is 100% fine!) it still is worth it to go to the doctor just for a checkup. It's a good idea whether you're sexually active or not, just to make sure everything is healthy and working as it should. There's no need to be worried or embarrassed either, as these doctors have definitely seen it all.

I wish you the best of luck!

Dawn. March 2nd 2020 02:48 AM

Hi there Katie! :)

Mine varies a lot as well. There's often been times when I've been 2-3 weeks late so if yours in late by a couple of days, I don't think it's an issue. However, if it is significantly delayed, then maybe seeing a doctor might help.

Celyn March 3rd 2020 10:03 PM

I think it's fairly normal to have a period be around a week or so early or late than what we might expect it to be. It's rare that periods would come exactly the same time each month. For me, my periods can be between a few days or more later than what I expect it to be. If it's more than that, then for me, there's usually a reason like I've been very stressed or not sleeping much and I overall don't feel good, and when I'm settled and sleeping better, I'll notice my period arrives.

If you're interested, you might like to check out this guide on menstruation from Scarleteen: https://www.scarleteen.com/article/b...o_menstruation

But as it's already been said, if you notice irregular periods, missing periods etc then it's always worth talking to your doctor.

startangle March 25th 2020 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katielovebug11 (Post 1350277)
Does anyone else have like random periods throughout the month? I thought your period was supposed to happen right around the same time every month? Mine is off like a week or so every month. I mean it happens near the end of the month but sometimes 5 days early or 4 days late. Is this normal for me?

cycles can range anywhere from 21 to 35 days in adults and from 21 to 45 days in young teens.

x_sepi_x July 2nd 2020 12:23 PM

It does sound fairly normal to be honest. Periods generally occur in a similar cycle for most people (in normal health/weight etc). It may help if you keep a log of your period start and end on an app on your phone if you can? After a few months of logging it down you may find that you do indeed have a general cycle that occurs after X amount of days every time :)