TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance.

I can't get enough

Name: Emma

Migraine - May 20th 2020, 12:59 AM

I finally told my parents that I had a migraine for four days and now my face goes numb. But I will be ok for a while and then my right side is numb for a while. I tried heat and ice, nothing works. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow, don't want to go to the hospital. My parents yelled at me and said that I should have told them sooner.

Has anyone else had this and did something work for you? When you have time can you please help me. Thank you.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor and Forum Moderator.PM/VM

"Dance is an art
that imprints on the soul.
It is with you every moment,
it expresses itself in everything you do."
-Shirley MacLaine

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Migraine - May 20th 2020, 01:03 PM

I used to suffer a lot of really bad migraines when I was younger, to the point I started smelling things that weren't actually there. Sometimes they would last for 3 or more days and it was horrible. I didn't even realise they could do that. I went to the doctor and they diagnosed me with severe migraines. I've never had my face go numb though, that's really concerning!

I have to wonder if there's an underlying cause as to why that's happening to you, but I'm no doctor so I couldn't say.

For the migraines itself, the doctor advised me to stay away from brightly lit areas, keep my curtains closed to help prevent over-sensitivity to the eyes. Another suggestion was to try and stay somewhere quiet. Avoid listening to music to help relax hearing.

My mum used to give me massages to help as well, particularly around the back of the head and neck area.

If you're able, see if you can get some over the counter strong ibuprofen to help reduce swelling around the head area. If you can't take ibuprofen, any other pain killer should help ease it, even if it's only a little.

If you do need to use your phone, try downloading an app that allows you to dim the screen further than your phone's brightness allows, and remove the blue tone. I use an app called Blue Light Filter. It's really helpful, especially at night when you want to use your phone but the screen is just way too bright, even on the lowest brightness setting.

Life is for living, not for losing.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Migraine - May 20th 2020, 09:24 PM

Sorry to hear that you have been experiencing migraines for days, including numbness. Must be awful for you. I also understand that you might not have wanted to tell your parents either and that when you told them they said you should've said sooner. This isn't your fault though. If it's difficult talking to your parents, maybe you can find another way such as texting or emailing them instead?

I'm unsure if I have experienced migraines but when I've had a bad headache, it helps me to have a lie down and take some paracetamol. My friend does get migraines and has numbness and she has found that staying away from screens, reading and going for a lie down in a darkened room can help.

As Sarah suggested, it can help trying to think of any triggers that might've caused your migraine such as stress or tiredness.

For more information on migraines, feel free to check out this article.

Hope going to the doctors goes okay and that they can help you with your migraines

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I can’t help, I’m always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline

I can't get enough

Re: Migraine - May 20th 2020, 11:34 PM

Thank you both so much for your help with this. I'll have my phone dim when I'm not feeling well, the dark room helps me too. I'll ask my mom or sister to give me a massage. Thank you for the article. The doctor helped me and said I should feel better in a few days. Thank you both so much.

"Dance is an art
-Shirley MacLaine

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Migraine - May 21st 2020, 05:00 AM

Hey,

I am glad the doctor helped you! I get migraines all the time and sometimes all you can do is see a doctor. Sometimes they're just stubborn and don't want to go away on their own. I had one for one month before, and another that lasted two weeks. I went to the doctor for those and the second time around, what they did was give me a shot of Toradol, which I guess help to take it away? Other doctors may give different things, so if it doesn't work, keep trying!

If you continue to get migraines, I definitely think you should see a doctor again. I have a referral in to a neurologist right now that has been pushed back due to everything going on, so I can't say what exactly they do, but I know that can help you develop a treatment plan that will help you. Sometimes it is trial and error, trying different medications and lifestyle changes until they find what works for you. They have both medications that can help prevent migraines and some that can "abort" them when they come on, if you are comfortable with taking medication. If you're not, I'm sure they hav other things up their sleeves. If you don't know of any neurologists, I'm sure your primary doctor will be able to refer you.

If they keep happening, I'd also try and see if there are any patterns you notice. For example, is there a certain time of day that you notice your migraines are coming? Are you doing a certain activity? Are you feeling a certain way? Hunger, thirst, illness, etc? Did you eat or drink a certain thing? Did you smell a certain scent? I know for me they also come on when I need a new glasses prescription. But, there can be a lot of triggers. I am working on this myself too because I don't always keep good track of when my migraines come on and I know I need to do a better job. I've identified certain types of light like my desk lamp and exercise, but I know there are more. I'd also write down what symptoms you get with a migraine to track what they are and make a note if any new or concerning symptoms come up that you didn't have before.

What works for some people may not work for others, but there are definitely things you can try. My friend likes to take hot showers when she has migraines, but for me excessive heat makes it worse. It may make you feel better though! For me, I get really bad hot flashes with mine and my mom had me put an ice pack on the back of my neck and it helps. I eventually got what's basically an ice pack hat that covers my head and neck area!

I agree with over the counter medication such as Excedrin Migraine or a similar type of "migraine" painkiller, or others like Naproxen or Ibuprofen. One thing I want to warn you about is rebound headaches. Basically these happen when you overuse painkillers, such as taking them for more than a few days in a row. So, if you don't find relief after a few days I'd definitely go to the doctor again.

Another thing that helped me was changing the brightness on my phone and laptop, like what was said. I put both of them on "Night Shift" which basically changes the colors to warmer instead of cooler, Really it's supposed to help you sleep, but I THINK it also helps reduce the levels of blue light, which can be a migraine trigger. I also set anything I can to dark mode, where the background is dark and the font is light and I find that to help me.

Definitely quiet, dark rooms and a lot of rest whenever possible for migraines. If they get bad enough you may be able to get some accommodations for school. I was in grad school when mine got really bad, but I was allowed to have medicine in the nurse's office with a doctor's note. When I got to grad school and they got worse to the point I ended up in the ER twice, I got accommodations where I was allowed extensions on assignments and flexible attendance when it was reasonable to give them, and I had it set up where I was allowed to wear sunglasses in the classroom. I also was able to take my tests in a private room and get extra time on them, but that was more for anxiety. I'm to sure whet they'd do at the high school level, but maybe they'd let you go to the nurse's office and lay down. Your doctor would probably be able to write to your school nurse about anything you may need and go from there.

As you get to know what your migraine symptoms are, you'll also be able to better manage them. There are smells that make me really nauseous when I have a migraine that wouldn't otherwise, for example (nacho cheese sauce, ewww), and I know to avoid those. If you get really bad nausea and/or vomiting with yours the doctor may prescribe something to help. The one thing I can't manage well is the hot flashes, because I can't take off my clothes in public

I think I've covered everything I've dealt with recently, but if you have anything else you want to know about migraines, feel free to ask!

Feel better!
Dez

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline

I can't get enough

Re: Migraine - May 21st 2020, 09:58 PM

Thank you so much for this, it was very helpful.

"Dance is an art
-Shirley MacLaine

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Omen. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Migraine - May 23rd 2020, 07:43 AM

Hi there,

Sorry to hear that you suffer from migraines...they are the worst. I used to suffer from them as well from the ages of 9 to 13. I wouldn't be able to see out of my right eye and I would vomit from the migraines. I used to go into my room, make sure it was really dark, take painkillers and sleep. For me, that used to work and now, even though I still sometimes get migraines, thankfully, they are no longer as bad as what they used to be.

It is concerning that your face goes numb. I would strongly recommend you seeing a doctor as well. I hope everything goes ok.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline

I can't get enough

Re: Migraine - May 23rd 2020, 12:38 PM

Thank you so much for your help. I told my mom yesterday that I still wasn't feeling well and the numbness wasn't going away so she called the doctor and he called someone else in. I hope this works.

"Dance is an art
-Shirley MacLaine