TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Neurodiversity This forum is for everything about neurodiversity, such as autism, ADHD or dyslexia - talk about here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Soda_Voxel Offline
Doing my best
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Please call me Soda.
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 12,432, Level: 16 Points: 12,432, Level: 16 Points: 12,432, Level: 16

Angry UGH - March 22nd 2021, 09:45 PM

Why the fuck do I have to be autistic?!??!?
I can't understand anything. I can't get jokes or understand sarcasm. I don't get subtle cues. I can't understand things even if it's explained to me. I overreact to everything. I can't cope with change even if it's good change. It's not fair. i fucking hate everything

It's enough to live a live with love until we die
Autism, Depression, Anxiety
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: UGH - March 22nd 2021, 09:55 PM

I'm sorry you're having a hard time right now. I can understand why all of that frustrates you and I know Autism has many challenges which make things like this a lot harder. I don't have a whole lot of advice right now, but I wanted to let you know that Autism or not, you're absolutely fine as you are. You can't help how your brain processes things, and you shouldn't beat yourself up over things which are not your fault. But frustration is understandable, and I am sorry you're feeling like this right now.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 107,426, Level: 46 Points: 107,426, Level: 46 Points: 107,426, Level: 46

Re: UGH - March 22nd 2021, 11:59 PM

Hello,

I am so sorry that you are having a hard time right now and hope that you will be okay soon. I am sorry that you are dealing with how you are autistic. With this you are looking at everything different and that is totally fine to do. We want to be able to see and feel things differently than other people, we wouldn't want to all be the same. Would you be able to try talking with someone about this and how it is making you feel? For example are you able to talk to your parents or siblings or another family member or someone at the school that you are going to? The school counselors or a favorite teacher. When we are talking about how we are feeling with someone we are letting them in and it helps take some of the hurt out of us. I found this article on someone who's autistic and it gives you ways to help yourself when you are having a hard time. When you have time if you would like to look at this, maybe it can help you out some. It is, https://autismawarenesscentre.com/ca...n-with-autism/ Are you able to find different things to help you out when you are having a hard time. Going for a walk or listening to music or watching movies or TV shows or using a fidget spinner or grabbing your favorite blanket or trying anything else to help you out so that you will be okay soon. I hope that you will be okay soon.

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat,
It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise''
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,284, Level: 42 Points: 88,284, Level: 42 Points: 88,284, Level: 42

Re: UGH - March 23rd 2021, 10:01 AM

Hello there,

I'm so sorry to hear that you are having a hard time at the moment. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for you. If you ever need anything, feel free to message me.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: UGH - March 23rd 2021, 01:07 PM

Some time ago my mum would make jokes saying that she thinks she's autistic. At least I thought she was joking. Then the more I thought about it, the more I started to wonder if she was right.

She takes practically everything I'd say literally. You tell her, 'Break a leg!' and she'll reply, 'Why would I want to do that..?' when really it's just a saying for 'good luck!'. You can't make jokes with her because she simply doesn't get them. Like, at all. The only jokes she sort of understands are those really bad Christmas cracker jokes. She's often quite blunt to the point where it comes across rude. She sometimes struggles to understand how somebody is feeling, especially when you're the one she's upset. She likes routine and dislikes change. Everything has to be in order and if there's any change to a schedule or if somebody is late, she starts getting stressed and terribly anxious. Even if it's only 5 minutes late. She sure as hell has no clue how to respect personal space because she doesn't understand it.

She's never been diagnosed, and I very much doubt she ever will.

Yes, she frustrates me sometimes. Yes, she never really gets my jokes. Sometimes, no matter how much I explain something to her, her reply will always be, 'Nope... not getting it' and I just give up. All these things I've listed about her can be frustrating...

..however, she's still my mum and I love her very much.

The point I'm trying to make here is, it's ok to be autistic. Sure you may think in a different way to others around you but this can also be a good thing. You have a beautiful mind that can be applied to so many helpful and useful things, even if you don't think of it that way. Who cares if you don't get jokes? Sure people might be frustrated by it, but chances are they still like you because you're fun to be around and recognise the fact you don't get those jokes. They'll find a way to work around it.

It might seem like such a difficult situation to be in, but remember that you have a chance to help those around you, understand you better. It's a learning experience not just for you, but everyone else. Help them to understand how to enjoy your company even more. Explain to them your list of issues, your do's and don't's. Give them as much information as you possibly can. If things still go wrong after that, then that's their own fault for not taking on board what you've said.

And for the record, I have a few autistic friends and they happen to be absolutely fantastic. They send me goofy memes they find funny. They send me their version of a joke, or something that makes them laugh. They talk to me about their passions and the things they're working towards. In fact, their dislike for change is something I can appreciate because of my work schedule.

Autism is not a bad thing!
Closed Thread