TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Neurodiversity (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f537-neurodiversity/)
-   -   Weighted Blankets (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f537-neurodiversity/t161130-weighted-blankets/)

DeletedAccount53 January 12th 2021 12:26 PM

Weighted Blankets

Edited: Below is an extract from a blog post on '20 Benefits of Weighted Blanket Therapy'

Weighted blankets were initially created to help people with sensory processing disorders like autism, as a non-medicated and natural form of therapy to help ease their anxieties or to calm them down when stressed.
Weighted blankets creates a sense of being swaddled. The physical connection that you feel provides warmth and security, helping the body relax. These have been researched to help with:

General stress, insomnia
Anxiety before sleeping
Arthritis, fibromyalgia, and general body pain
Mood disorders like depression and anxiety

Our weighted blanket is due to arrive this afternoon according to my phone notification. I hope it will help Julie and me enjoy a good night's sleep. When the weighted blanket stimulates serotonin, melatonin hormones are also released -- promoting sleep and helping regulate the sleep cycle. Overall, the blanket’s pressure provides a calming, soothing environment that is conducive to sleep, so the tense, anxious, restless person gets the sleep they need, or so it is claimed in Sweden.

A weighted blanket provides a gentle yet deep pressure that goes deep within the body. Researchers have found that this “deep touch pressure stimulation” which promotes the release of two brain chemicals -- dopamine and serotonin which have a calming effect that combats anxiety, stress, and depression.

Psychologists say that the weighted material may be effective because it produces a light touch sensation whenever you move under the blanket. This may feel like a caress. The sensation may stimulate the release of hormones/brain chemicals that soothe the nervous system, reducing anxiety.

So, we'll see. :)

Celyn January 12th 2021 03:53 PM

Re: Weighted Blankets

I would love to try a weighted blanket someday! They seem to be quite soothing and generally, I love the feeling of being wrapped up and having a gentle pressure around me (I had a padded gilet that had a similar effect :p )

If you are interested, we have an article on weighted blankets, here.

Let us know how you and Julie get on with the weighted blanket! :)

Ennui. January 12th 2021 05:52 PM

I love mine! Warm and cozy.

BackingErlking January 13th 2021 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pork Chops (Post 1361090)
Weighted blankets were initially created to help people with sensory processing disorders like autism, as a non-medicated and natural form of therapy to help ease their anxieties or to calm them down when stressed.
Weighted blankets creates a sense of being swaddled. The physical connection that you feel provides warmth and security, helping the body relax. These have been researched to help with:

General stress, insomnia
Anxiety before sleeping
Arthritis, fibromyalgia, and general body pain
Mood disorders like depression and anxiety

Our weighted blanket is due to arrive this afternoon according to my phone notification. I hope it will help Julie and me enjoy a good night's sleep. When the weighted blanket stimulates serotonin, melatonin hormones are also released -- promoting sleep and helping regulate the sleep cycle. Overall, the blanket’s pressure provides a calming, soothing environment that is conducive to sleep, so the tense, anxious, restless person gets the sleep they need, or so it is claimed in Sweden.

A weighted blanket provides a gentle yet deep pressure that goes deep within the body. Researchers have found that this “deep touch pressure stimulation” which promotes the release of two brain chemicals -- dopamine and serotonin which have a calming effect that combats anxiety, stress, and depression.

Psychologists say that the weighted material may be effective because it produces a light touch sensation whenever you move under the blanket. This may feel like a caress. The sensation may stimulate the release of hormones/brain chemicals that soothe the nervous system, reducing anxiety.

So, we'll see. :)

I have ordered one from Amazon as well. Kinda type of at-home therapy that can provide similar benefits to deep pressure therapy, oh... it's perfectly awesome! Can't wait for mine to arrive.

Dawn. January 13th 2021 07:36 AM

I would love to try one one day. :)

DeletedAccount53 January 14th 2021 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackingErlking (Post 1361134)
I have ordered one from Amazon as well. Kinda type of at-home therapy that can provide similar benefits to deep pressure therapy, oh... it's perfectly awesome! Can't wait for mine to arrive.

Ours arrived yesterday. Last night we slept undisturbed and didn't wake until 11:10 AM. That was the longest we've ever slept in. We woke refreshed, no aches, clear heads. It was a wonderful feeling.

We also have Icelandic blankets folded on the sofa in front of the log fire. Slumber beneath Lopi woollen, hand woven blankets and we're as snug as a bug in a rug.