TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
pokemon Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

nail picking? - January 6th 2009, 07:34 PM

I heard that a lot of people pick their finger nails and the skin around them. I for one, do. I pick them until they bleed sometimes, and it hurts sooo bad, but i can't stop. It relieves stress kind of, like smoking. I've tried to make a conscious effort to stop, but it won't work. Anyone else have this, or have a way to stop it? my nails look bad all the time and I would really like to stop.

now you're here and everything's changing
- s u d d e n l y - l i f e - m e a n s - s o - m u c h -
i
can't wait to wake up tomorrow

and find out this promise is true
i will never have to go back to
the day before you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Acerbated Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Niki

January 6th 2009, 07:41 PM

If you bite them at all, I know I was able to stop my nail biting by chewing gum [which created a gum addiction for me, but still ]. I eventually kicked the gum habit, and I am still not back to my nail biting. I have pretty nails again :]

If your problem is picking, why not give yourself something else to pick at? Also invest in some good nail clippers, and a nail file. Keep your nails well maintained, but clipping then filing away any rough edges. I find I'm tempted to pick at my nails when they're jagged or if they break from getting too long, so make sure you keep up your efforts. After awhile you should be able to kick the habit, and you won't have to be so anal about the care of your nails.

To replace the picking, buy some [for this, cheap] nail polish and apply it everyday. Pick at the nail polish, instead of your nails.Replace your habit, don't try to just drop it. If the nail polish doesn't work, maybe try wearing an elastic band around your wrist and snapping it when you're stressed. I've usually seen this used for self harmers, but it could very well work for your nail picking as well.

Good luck :]

(#3 (permalink)) Old
FastForward2012 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Ellie

January 6th 2009, 07:44 PM

I used to chew my fingernails. Then I stopped. Now I chew the skin around my fingernails. I'm trying to stop. Lately,I chew my lip. lol I need to find something else to chew on. I do it when I'm nervous, or hungry.

I just thought I'd let you know that I do it too. I haven't really found anything that helps besides putting a pen or something in my hand, because I won't do it then.

To Write Love On Her Arms<3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

January 6th 2009, 08:01 PM

The nail polish idea above is a really good one, I'd recomend it. It worked for a friend of mine.

I do have this habit as well and as I really don't care what my nails look like I've never bothered stopping. However I did find that I wouldn't do it when I had something else to do with my hands, try playing with your keys or squezzing a stress ball or something similar.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

January 7th 2009, 12:17 AM

I used to bite my nails ALL THE TIME. Seriously. I stopped when I was in seventh grade, though. I just decided one day that I wanted to let my nails grow.

I realize that it's not quite that easy for everyone, though. If you want to stop, and you simply can't do it just by telling yourself to stop, maybe try putting hand sanitizer on your hands frequently. It doesn't taste very good, so it might keep you from biting on your nails. Or if biting isn't the problem and you're just picking at them, maybe try to keep nail polish on them. I find that I try not to pick at my nails much when they're all pretty with nail polish on them. It wouldn't hurt to try it, I'm sure.

Good luck. :]

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student

(#6 (permalink)) Old
VanishingActs Offline
~kiss it better~
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Vicki

Re: nail picking? - January 7th 2009, 07:44 AM

Hey there,

One of my friends had the exact same problem. She used the nail polish idea and she said that helped a lot. When she found herself wanting to do it she used to make her hands busy by doing the washing up, washing her hair, painting her nails or she would put a pair of gloves on.

When you feel the urge try to distract yourself and do something else. Remember if the skin around your nails are delicate be sure to keep it fresh and take care of it using a good moisturiser.

Take care,
Vicki

(#7 (permalink)) Old
*Faith* Offline
They'll never know.
I've been here a while

Name: Faith

Re: nail picking? - January 7th 2009, 09:09 AM

I have the same problem, I bite and pick so my nails are really scratty. I keep trying to stop but I never succeed. Doing my homework or typing on the keyboard does tend to keep me distracted for awhile if that's any help?

You were the angel of my life, taught me to be free
Now I'm a stranger in your eyes.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
i_am_me_again Offline
I'm A Pyschotic Neurotic.
I can't get enough

Name: Jaymi

Re: nail picking? - January 7th 2009, 10:06 AM

I used to bite my nails, skin around them & the cuticles, the tops of my finger tips were red, bitten, bleeding, sore, everytime I went to hole a pen, for example,my fingers would sting. My nails were so bad they starting peeling from the cuticles & were all mishapen

I tried loads of things, wearing gloves was one.

But what stopped me biting is actually when I went to have acrilics put on. I had proper false nails gelled on. They looked so good, that i was just too afraid to take em off. Whilst wearing the fake nails, my skin got better & my actual nails started to grow & by the time the false nails had to come off, my hands looked fairly nice & I didnt want to start biting them again.

HelpLink Mentor & Forum Moderator

PM me!

Our lives are like music.
It hits its high and low notes,
But in the end,
It all turns into a perfect melody
  Send a message via MSN to i_am_me_again  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
drowningangel Offline
.Surrender.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kathy

Re: nail picking? - January 7th 2009, 11:42 AM

As said above, I would stop picking or biting at my nails whenever I had false fingernails on. I knew it would probably hurt worse to tear them off than to pick, and I'd spent money on them for goodness' sakes!

The nail polish idea is good too. I actually use that one.

Married since 28 June 2009 to my DevilDog

-----

"Whatever souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
- Emily Bronte

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: nail picking? - January 7th 2009, 12:26 PM

You can buy nail polish/stuff that you put on your hands that tastes bad.
Try keeping something in your hands,like a rubber band.And playing with that rather that picking at your nails.Something to distract you?
Marie.

Closed Thread