TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Terra Rae Offline
Telescope <3
Not a n00b

Name: Terra Rae

Yaz / Yasmin - August 26th 2009, 01:24 AM

I'm currently taking Yasmin as my birth control, and have been for a few years. I recently saw a commercial advertising that these two brands of birth control have a higher risk of causing stroke or blood clots than other brands. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow and asking to be switched, because there is a history of heart conditions, high blood pressure and blood clots in my family. Do you think this would be a good enough reason for my doctor to change my medication, given that I've had no problems with it thus far? I'm just afraid of what -could- happen.

Don't patronize,
I realize,
I'm losing and this is my
real life.

"The way to a man's heart truly is through his stomach. None of those pesky ribs to stab through." <3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Yaz / Yasmin - August 26th 2009, 02:25 AM

Your doctor may want to speak with you a bit more in-depth about this. Despite your age, if there is a family history of medical conditions that could be affected by your medication, your doctor should know.

Really the only reason you need to have to switch is that you WANT to, especially for things such as birth control pills. The brand/method you use should be entirely up to you, as long as it is safe for you.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Yaz / Yasmin - August 26th 2009, 03:01 AM

Any birth control will do that. If you're on Yasmin/yaz, then you really should be fine. They are both pretty low-dose =)

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reakless Emotion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Brittany

Re: Yaz / Yasmin - August 26th 2009, 03:19 AM

I'm on Yasmin as well, and have been since grade 10, and I haven't experienced any problems as of yet. Whereas my friend was on Alesse, and she had a blood clot.

And I will take you in my arms, and hold you right where you belong.
Til the day my life is through, this I promise you.121109

(#5 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Yaz / Yasmin - August 27th 2009, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHolyValorx View Post
Any birth control will do that. If you're on Yasmin/yaz, then you really should be fine. They are both pretty low-dose =)
Any birth control pill might have that side effect (I don't know for sure, you would want to ask your doctor about that).

There are other type of contraception, though. You can read about other types here (the list is not exhaustive, of course) or ask your doctor about your other options.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Yaz / Yasmin - August 27th 2009, 04:38 PM

Hey Terra Rae,

I do think that this would be a good enough reason to visit your doctor in order to discuss your medication. If you're worried about anything concerning your health or medication then I believe that is a good enough reason to talk about it with your doctor.

However, I don't think that you necessarily have to change your medication because of this risk, as it has already been stated, there is also this risk with other birth control medication - there are risks to a lot of medication. I think that checking out the link that Jessie provided would be a good idea for considering another form of contraception or if you want another birth control pill then you may want to do some research into the other pills before you make a decision to change. Of course, talking to your doctor should also help you make this decision.

Take care.

Closed Thread