TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lost_chil Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Alice

Unhappy Glasses... - January 28th 2009, 06:58 AM

Alright heres the deal, about 5 months ago i went to get my eyes tested cuz i knew i needed glasses. So i went and they gave me like the weakest perscription cuz that what i needed, and it worked great! But now... I only wear my glasses when iam walking around or watching tv and stuff, i dont wear them when iam in my room at all, or on the computer and all that. Now iam supose to wear them for everything thats out of arms reach and stuf. But for some things i dont, i have actually gone a day without wearing my glasses around the house at all( i know bad idea thats why iam ehre) Well ya... Recently i have been getting really bad migraines and what not. Also, i've been noticing that iam starting to not see as well WITH my glasses on, like some things are blury and all that. When my gf came down i tried her glasses on(she has alot worse eyes than me) and i saw through 1 of her lenses, her worse eye one. So iam thinking that maybe my eyes have gotten MUCH worse? Could this be? Why is this causing me migraines all day long? Any ideas?

We May Be Miles Apart. But Your Always Closer To The Moon. And Brighter Than The Stars

PM me anytime! =D
  Send a message via MSN to lost_chil Send a message via Skype™ to lost_chil 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Lozzaa Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Glasses... - January 28th 2009, 07:16 AM

Hey!
I wear glasses and never wore them when i should, now i need to wear my glasses all the time. They are there to help you, so please try and remember to wear them, as this may be causing you sore heads.

However, when I took sore heads with my glasses I didnt need a prescription, they just gave me excercises to strengthen my eyes. It would be a good idea to go back to the opticians.
  Send a message via MSN to Lozzaa Send a message via Skype™ to Lozzaa 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
lost_chil Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Glasses... - January 28th 2009, 07:22 AM

The problem is i cant go back to the person who perscibed me them, and i cant go back tilll another year, so like ya, its causing me huge migraines and i hate it, i think i need stronger glasses but i dont know and cant find out for sure for a few more months

We May Be Miles Apart. But Your Always Closer To The Moon. And Brighter Than The Stars

PM me anytime! =D
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: Glasses... - January 28th 2009, 07:25 AM

Yikes. Poorly prescribes lenses can probably do more damage than not wearing them, but you really need to go to the doctor because it's giving you really bad headaches. Are you sure there's no way you can go?

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
lost_chil Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Glasses... - January 28th 2009, 07:46 AM

I can probably go see my docter... But i dont know if i could go see my eye docter thats just it... I have to wear my glasses at school cuz i cant see almost anything out of arms reach... But like ya... Wearing them give me a headache because i think my eyes have gotten worse and my glasses are'nt strong enough But we dont have the money to get new ones even if i could go see the eye doc... So i dont know what i should and or can do... My eyes hurt from wearing my glasses, but if i dont wear them i cant see and get a even worse headache I sware i need a new persciption because i sware my eyes have gotten worse but iam just not sure...

PM me anytime! =D
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Lozzaa Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Glasses... - January 28th 2009, 07:46 AM

You do know you can go back early than recommended? I was meant to go yearly but had to go every 6 months since i got sore heads, and needed new glasses.

Why cant you go back to who prescribed them?
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
lost_chil Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Glasses... - January 28th 2009, 07:48 AM

But how do you? Like my mom says they will charrge us a fortune if we go back before they said. Iam only suppose to go every year... But ya... How do you get to go every 6 months? I need to go get seen again very soon... I can take wearing these glasses because i think they are to weak for my eyes, i think my eye sight has gotten worse

PM me anytime! =D
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Lozzaa Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Glasses... - January 28th 2009, 07:52 AM

Well on the NHS here, since I was in education, as long as did actually need new glasses it was ok.

I'm not sure on where about in the world you are, so i couldnt comment on the procedures there
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
lost_chil Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Glasses... - January 28th 2009, 08:04 AM

Currently iam in Nova Scotia, Canada, North America... But like iam possitive i need new glasses, but where i got my glasses was back in Ontario so i dont know if i can get them here or not... I'll be moving back to Ontario on my own in like 2 months But do i have to wait till than? Where would i go to get new glasses? As long as i need new glasses its okay to get checked up earlier than what they said?

PM me anytime! =D
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Lozzaa Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Glasses... - January 28th 2009, 08:14 AM

You are entitiled to get glasses when you need them, now i'm not sure how it works for the costs across there, but you should *theoretically* be able to ask at any opticians to test your eyes.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
lost_chil Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Glasses... - January 28th 2009, 08:22 AM

Okay... I will talk to my mom about it.... I dont know what she is going to say... Probably yell at me saying its my fault that i need new glasses because i did'nt wear them when i was suppose to all the time... ...... Okay and do you know how much it would cost to get my eyes re-tested? My mom said that if i go in with my glasses they will know that i have been tested recently and all that... But i want you guys's opinion... If i go into a place to get my eyes tested will they ask when i last had them tested? and if so do i tell them the truth? If i tell them the truth will they say sorrry but you have to wait or somthing like that? Also how much would it cost?

PM me anytime! =D
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Olive, always Offline
The Mighty Grape
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Liv

Re: Glasses... - January 28th 2009, 08:36 AM

From my understanding it's not uncommon for one eye to have a differing perscription from the other - so no fear there. You really need to get re-checked out by your optometrist...the headaches are most likely from eye strain...but the cause could be a bit sketchy whether it's from the bad lenses or the lack of lenses. (: Best of luck.

=P

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Lozzaa Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Glasses... - January 28th 2009, 08:37 AM

I'm not sure of the cost, as i said since i'm in the UK, but it would be best to tell the opticians/eye doc the truth. Maybe the prescription was slightly off in the first place? It can happen sometimes, but not often. However I cannot stress enough how important it is to wear them.

I didnt wear mine when i got them, and I only needed them for reading. I now have to wear them all the time. You will get used to them though, i feel weird when i dont' have my glasses on now
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
lost_chil Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Glasses... - January 28th 2009, 08:50 AM

I have gotten use to my glasses and all that... And i understand that you cant ttell me the price average sence your not from where iam... So i should probably go to any eye docter sence i dont really have a permanant one, i only got checked once in Ontario and moved sence than so i need a new one... So should i just go see any eye docter and get my eyes re-tested because iam possitive i need a new prescription? And i wear my glasses all the time now, mainly because my vision is getting worse so iam trying to counter-act it But it is really not working...

PM me anytime! =D
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Lozzaa Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Glasses... - January 28th 2009, 08:59 AM

Just wear your glasses when your meant to.. If its just for a short while, then wear them for a short while. Yes the best thing to do is to go see any eye doctor.
Also, you don't have to get new frames when you go, you can just get new lenses put in, which will reduce the cost
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
lost_chil Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Glasses... - January 28th 2009, 09:04 AM

I can get my new lenses put into the frames i have already?! Are you serious? Thats not to bad than... Considering these frames cost like 200$ EACH and already ones like broken Long story, rolled over on my bed and forgot about them so ya... But i have 2 pairs, so if all i have to do is buy the lenese than thats not TO bad i guess...

PM me anytime! =D
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Lozzaa Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Glasses... - January 28th 2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_chil View Post
I can get my new lenses put into the frames i have already?! Are you serious? Thats not to bad than... Considering these frames cost like 200$ EACH and already ones like broken Long story, rolled over on my bed and forgot about them so ya... But i have 2 pairs, so if all i have to do is buy the lenese than thats not TO bad i guess...

Yeah, i mean why wouldnt you?
they have to cut the lenses to the frame shape anyway, and it will reduce the cost a lot.

ALWAYS keep a pair of glasses as spare, even if its a pair with your last prescription, never know when you'll need it :P
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
lost_chil Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Glasses... - January 28th 2009, 09:10 AM

So your saying i should keep my spare pair the way they are? Like keep them at this perscription? Than only get one replaced with new lenses?

PM me anytime! =D
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Lozzaa Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Glasses... - January 28th 2009, 09:13 AM

Just try not to break the pair you have.

I have a spare, and atm its the same prescription as i have now, but only due to the fact i needed to change my lense type for driving. When i get a new prescription i wont be changing two lenses.

Whats the point of paying for changing lenses when you can only wear on pair of glasses at a time.
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
lost_chil Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Glasses... - January 28th 2009, 09:18 AM

So only get the one pair lenses changed to my new perscription? If so that would be cheaper, and that way later on down the road if i break them i can use my other ones till i can pay for another pair. OR if i need another perscription i did'nt waste my money on paying for 2 pairs when i only used one. And i can just get the one pair new lenses again right?

PM me anytime! =D
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Lozzaa Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Glasses... - January 28th 2009, 09:45 AM

correct
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
lost_chil Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Glasses... - January 28th 2009, 11:05 AM

Alright thanks everyone^^ Will talk to my mom about going to get checked again^^

PM me anytime! =D
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Glasses... - January 28th 2009, 11:10 AM

The first time I went to the eye doctor I remember she told me that sometimes when you have bad eyes and your not wearing glasses your eye muscles are straining to see, and it ends up giving you a headache. You might think your not straining your eyes, but sometimes it happens without us even being aware of it. And it sounds like your eyes have gotten worse, which is normal, so the original pair of glasses that you have been wearing aren't strong enough for you anymore. I would suggest going back to the eye doctor and getting your eyes tested again, getting a new prescription and what not.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Katieee Offline
23/03/08
Average Joe

Name: Katie

Re: Glasses... - January 28th 2009, 02:37 PM

Hey,
I've had glasses since I can remember. I think the headaches you're having are normal. I mean if you're wearing glasses for the first they can make you're verison got a bit weird until you get really used to them. When I get new glasses I get headaches and I don't see clearly with them on, but after a few days I see perfectly with them on. I have to wear glasses I don't really have a choice, I can't ANYTHING without them . I don't think you're eyes are getting wrose, I think it's just a change for your eyes thats all. <-- EDIT: if you got the glasses 5 months ago, then they might be something wrong with them and you might need to take them back and get them changed.

"You'll always be my hero, even though you lost your mind."
  Send a message via MSN to Katieee  
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
fallen fairy Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Fairy

Re: Glasses... - January 28th 2009, 02:53 PM

hmm this is only a suggestion but i've been wearing glasses for like ever and i got super bad headaches when i was about hmm 10, which was 7 years after i started wearing them and i'd acutally got astigmatism which gives you migraines if you don't get it fixed....

so yeah the sort of end story is you need to get ur eyes tested

(#26 (permalink)) Old
...and pitchfork red
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Rosary

Re: Glasses... - January 28th 2009, 03:25 PM

it is very likely that your eyesight has gotten worse because you have not been wearing your glasses when you should. when i first got mine for temporary use, i didn't wear them when i should, and my eyesight got worse by 25%
it's quite a scary thought now that im older - and wearing them permanently.

overall i agree with what has already been said. see someone.

best of luck.
r&r

Have a free hug.

Why be stingy? Take another.

It's gonna be okay.

Closed Thread