TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

mum not taking me seriosly - February 10th 2010, 01:10 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

today i tried to talk to my mum about mainly my sleeping problems, i have not been sleeping well for about 3 months, im often very tired and just cannot sleep at night, i have tried listening to music, reading, drinking hot milk, i have tried drinking them herbal/fruit teas aswell, not watching tv or using computer before bed, i have tried having a luke warm bath and still i cannot sleep. so today i siad to my mum ' i think i need to speak to the doctor about my sleeping problem' and my mum has told me 'your not going to the docotor he will just put you on medication' i have then pointed out to her that i have tried everything else, and she says 'well go chemist and by nytol' but nytols a very mild sleeping pill is'nt it ? so the one thing she dont want the doctor giving me she telling me to go buy a milder version of sleeping pills from the chemist!! do i just go doctors by myself and hide the sleeping pills from my mum ? or do i continue the way i am and just keep not getting to sleep until about 5 in the morning and then waking up at 6 half 6 and going to work on an hours sleep ??? what do i do, i went to my mum for help and she has turned me away!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: mum not taking me seriosly - February 10th 2010, 01:38 PM

This is a tough one! Are you in the United States? If so, your mom does not have real control over you going to the doc because you're legal age (according to profile preview).

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: mum not taking me seriosly - February 10th 2010, 01:39 PM

Hey Lydia,

Your mother has spoken to you about this, she has given you her opinion and she has made some valid points. She hasn't turned you away, because she has given you answers and ways forwards. I agree that she may have been a little rude in the way she spoke to you and advised you, perhaps try talking to her again. Say that you will try Nytol as a last case scenario, and if it doesn't work that you will go to the doctors and see what he advises.

You're old enough to see the doctor and get medication without her consent if you feel that you need it. I cannot tell you whether or not you should see the doctor because I'm not seeing the effect it's having on your first hand, only you can decide. She suggested Nytol and this could benefit you. It's not a sleeping pill as such, it's an aid to help you get into a healthy and natural sleeping pattern, which could be really beneficial to you. Have you ever tried taking Nytol before, as directed on the instructions? However, with any type of medication it's a good idea to see your doctor and ask his opinion. Nytol could work better than sleeping pills, then again, sleeping pills could work better than Nytol. Only your doctor can give you these answers.

Feel free to PM me if you need anything.
Rie.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: mum not taking me seriosly - February 10th 2010, 02:31 PM

Go to the doctor yourself. You are a legal adult, I apologise your mum isn't cooperating, but it is your issue that you need to take control of and take care of.

Though as a home remedy, you may want to try out just exercising a lot during the day. That helps me sleep at night.

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: mum not taking me seriosly - February 10th 2010, 02:43 PM

my mum has bought me kalms, and not nytol. if the kalms do not work then my mum will have to let me go doctors, i would go on my own and if i really do have to i will go on my own, but i hate ringing up and talking to doctors and stuff so i usually take my mum with me.

Closed Thread