TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Insomnia... - February 22nd 2010, 04:22 PM

... is absolutely killing me. I'm moody and completely unable to concentrate before 1pm as a result of far too little sleep. This does not bode well with doing well at college. I think my little energy & motivation is also due to this.

So does anyone have any non-pharmaceutical suggestions of things I can do or things you've found helpful to get to sleep?

Thanks

(RAH)≤ + (AH)≥ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)≤ + OOH + (LA)≤ = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

Last edited by Prozac; February 22nd 2010 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Moved to General Health.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Insomnia... - February 22nd 2010, 04:44 PM

The only thing I have read that has ever helped me is dimming the lights an hour before you go to sleep. My light switch hasn't got a dimmer so I just knock my light off and put my lamp on.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Insomnia... - February 22nd 2010, 05:07 PM

Things that help me are

No caffeine after a certain time
Having a warm bath in the evening
Reading before going to bed
No TV after a certain time
Warm milk

I know this sounds a lot like a babies bed time routine but it does work for me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: Insomnia... - February 22nd 2010, 06:42 PM

The advice above is very good. Those things usually help me too, although i'd say that putting on a really boring as hell programme on right before bed on a low sound gets me to sleep; because as much as you try to concerntrate there will eventually be a point where you no longer can do so and thus you will shut your eyes and fall asleep!

Also make sure you physically tire yourself out during the day! Go for a jog or just do some other exercise.

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Nixie Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jessica

Re: Insomnia... - February 22nd 2010, 07:43 PM

I used to suffer from insomnia as well. I had a bad case of it. I used to be completely dependent on sleeping pills. When one stopped having an effect on me, I'd switch to a different kind and then back to another, and so on. That was bad. There even came nights where they never worked, not even if I mix/matched them (dumbdumbdumb). When it comes to not being able to sleep, I suggest not to resort to sleeping pills. Just let it come naturally, even if it gets tiresome (ha, pun intended) and extremely frustrating...

Not eating or drinking at least an hour before bed is crucial. It keeps your body performing the process of digestion and doesn't really let yourself concentrate on relaxing.

Lights--I don't think it really matters, 'cuz you can take naps in daylight... But it's all in preference really.

Books, tv, and anything electronic with me at bedtime are a no-no for me--it's got to be very minimia. It distracts me from the act of sleeping and increases my concentration on something other than sleep. You'd think that distracting yourself from sleeping would help you sleep, but not in that case.

Also a thing to consider: If you spend a lot of time on your bed not sleeping, then maybe you should change that. Train your mind to subconsciously refer to your bed as your location of sleep. Insomnia and psychology have a lot in common, so this theory is pretty probable. It worked for me. So instead of doing schoolwork on your bed, take it to a desk or the library. Ya know what I mean

Hope anything I have said helps! Sweet dreams [hopefully]!

I want to get inside your mind;
I want you to expand mine.
  Send a message via MSN to Nixie  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
FairyPoppins Offline
Never give up.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Insomnia... - February 23rd 2010, 08:21 PM

Listen to calming music?

Put some lavender oil on your pillow?

Drink some warm milk?

Get someone to give you a massage? My mum does reflexology and it always puts me to sleep.

"You, and only you alone,
Can build a bridge across the stream..."

TeenHelper since 07/07/2005.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Nina Twin Offline
So It Goes
Average Joe

Name: Marlie Elizabeth

Re: Insomnia... - February 26th 2010, 07:34 PM

I heard you're not supposed to drink caffeine after the noon hour. It can still affect the effectiveness of your sleeping.
Things that work well for me are spraying lavender pillow spray on my pillow, not watching TV an hour before I go to bed, relaxing decaf tea, reading something that's not stressful before sleeping, etc.
I also heard it's good to tense up your muscles for a few seconds and then relax them. Start at your toes and work your way up.

Hope this is helpful. =]

"Life should not be measured by how far we can fall, but how high we can climb."

Send a message via MSN to Nina Twin  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Fantasy Offline
Writer
Not a n00b

Name: Christy

Re: Insomnia... - March 5th 2010, 10:22 PM

I usually read for an hour or so before I go to sleep. It helps settle me down and makes me forget the world. It also helps me to journal or write a story.

I can't sleep at night very well b/c I am a night owl. I get energy bursts at night. It's also my most creative time.

Never Give Up On Your Dreams No Matter How Hard Or Big They May Seem..... Someday you will reach them...

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Jess

Re: Insomnia... - March 5th 2010, 10:55 PM

As someone whose been an insomniac their entire life, I can empathize. It's absolutely horrible, I know. I used to stay up for literally days at a time, and finally when I was about thirteen I was prescribed sleeping pills - and have been on them ever since....which is something you'll want to avoid.

Get more exercise - try and find another hobby or outlet like yoga, swimming, etc., etc. Most people's insomnia is cured simply by increasing exercise and making sure that your diet is healthy - don't eat past 7 pm, and always eat breakfast in the mornings - even if it's just a piece of fruit or something.

Don't go on the computer or watch tv before bed, it's best to read - or try and meditate and do some low key yoga.

Take Valerian root(the pills are by far the most easy to consume).

If this still doesn't work, or your schedule doesn't allow you to make necessary changes, then talk to your doctor about sleeping pills. Only use them to get onto a decent sleep cycle and then throw them out. They're bad news. Particularly ambien or ambien CR.

I would definitely say though, that exercise and a good diet will help the most. Most people's insomnia is caused by that, and fixed quite easily - but if that doesn't help, then it's time to go to the doctor.

skydiversinreverse

(#10 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Insomnia... - March 6th 2010, 02:44 AM

Some ideas I have heard are:
- Reading before you go to bed
- No tv or computer right before you go to bed
- Lavender
- Exercise more during the day
- No soft drinks/energy drinks/coffee a few hours up until you go to bed

- Drinking warm milk or hot chocolate
- Distracting yourself by counting games or word games

- A warm shower or bath before bed
- And finally, have an established bed time routine. Try to be consistent in the time you go to bed and wake up each morning.

I hope that at least one of these works for you. Good luck.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

Closed Thread