TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
dropsofjupiter Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Katie

Question Do I need to lose weight? - April 7th 2010, 12:40 PM

Hi everyone!

I'm a fifteen year old girl and I went through a phase when I was about 11 where I had a bit of puppy fat, I was chubby but not exactly obese. My mum always said that I was "at the top of the weight for my age", aka nearly fat

When I was 13 I was really quite skinny, I didn't mean to be, but even my friend's mom commented on how thin I had got. Not anorexic thin, but my BMI was underweight.

I'm now 15 and I think I look fine. My body shape is hourglass verging on pear, I think, the only think is I'm a bit out of proportion. My legs are really long compared to my torso, and my thighs are quite muscular compared to my calves and I don't have a flat stomach, its muscle you know where it goes up in the middle with a bit of fat at the bottom. Looking from the front, I look a bit fat, but from the side I look a bit thin. Hmmmph.

My mums been saying "you need to watch what you eat" or "youre getting fat" but thing is I've not done anything to change my weight, I still eat the same and do quite a bit of exercise. I'm the most active one of my friends.

I did my BMI today and it came to (xxx) which was from weight wearing clothes and height wearing tights, no shoes. IMO, I do need to watch what I eat, but my mum clearly wants me to lose weight. She works with obese children so she obvuously is doing it cos she doesnt want me to get like that, but shes telling me like every day to stop being fat and its getting me quite annoyed.

anyway, its summer soon (YAY!) and i'll be in a bikini...do you think i need to lose weight? I think if i were to lose the fat id do it with exercising more than necessarily cutting down portions, because i do sport to national level and i train like every day, so i need my food lol.

WHOA have i written you guys an essay here!! please feel free to skim read haha

to cut a long story short: at a bmi of {xxx) and ive stopped growing do you think i should try and lose a little bit of weight or just watch what i eat?

cheers guys xxxxxxxx

"you need defeat to add value to your victories" - Rafael Nadal

"feel the fear...do it anyway!"

"i'm on fire and nothing's gonna hold me back, unless blue sky's got a pocketful of tricks to try"

I now have a blog!
please follow my adventures as I strive to find humour in life, the universe, and everything (;

Last edited by Pandamonium; April 7th 2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: No BMI/weight related figures

(#2 (permalink)) Old
dropsofjupiter Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Katie

Re: Do I need to lose weight? - April 7th 2010, 12:42 PM

Oh yeah I'm a dress size 8-10 on top, usually 10 on bottom but my thighs get in the way haha xxxx

"you need defeat to add value to your victories" - Rafael Nadal

"feel the fear...do it anyway!"

"i'm on fire and nothing's gonna hold me back, unless blue sky's got a pocketful of tricks to try"

I now have a blog!
please follow my adventures as I strive to find humour in life, the universe, and everything (;

(#3 (permalink)) Old
natcat Offline
Average Joe

Name: Natalie

Re: Do I need to lose weight? - April 8th 2010, 01:46 AM

If you are eating healthy, and exercising properly, then chances are you are probably perfectly healthy.

Not everybody will be super model thin, because their bodies just aren't built that way.

It's better to cross the line &
suffer the consequences
than to just stare at the line
for the rest of your life.

Closed Thread