TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Smoking? >.< HELP. - April 7th 2010, 03:42 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Riiiiight, so i dont know if this is in the right place!

But, i smoke. Ive been smoking for a few months. I use to aboout a year ago, but then stppoed with no help. But this time its proven not to be that easy. My mum knows and stuff, and shes not to happy and wants me to stop. So i am doing, because i cant honestly afford it!

Ive cut down to just four a day which i think is good, but mums not impressed. She suggested going to see the school nurse after the holidays, but i dont know if she'll be able to help?

I like smoking too. It make my anxiety better cause i struggle with it really badly. And i love the thought that its slowing killing me inside. I dont know.

Oh jezzzzzz.
I dont even know if i want to stop?

Helppp?!

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#2 (permalink)) Old
EmisaurusRex Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Em

Re: Smoking? >.< HELP. - April 7th 2010, 04:06 PM

try chewing gum when you get the urge? works for some people...

Great works are performed not by strength, but by perseverance.
PM me anytime <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Re: Smoking? >.< HELP. - April 7th 2010, 04:08 PM

Hey Jess, Its so sad because smoking has taken so many good looking ladies from us guys. I'm not trying to sound shallow but smoking doesn't just take away your life, but your looks to.

Smoking is a real turn off and its really one of the worst things a young person could get into. I bet you can't even grasp the thought of being diagnosed with lounge cancer, knowing you only have a few weeks to live is a scary thought.

I know you think that's not reality for you but sadly enough by the age of 20 you'll really start having health conditions. I'm not saying this to scare you. But if you had half a brain you'd quit to day.

Smoking is a one way ticket to an empty pocket and a short life of hardships. I lost my uncle to smoking and I fear I may lose another.

I'm so against smoking I'd take my own life to ride the world of it if I could. Please PLEASE listen to you mom she's so right!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
FriendZoneMayor Offline
My lovelife is the Hokey-Pokey
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Summer/Shawn

Re: Smoking? >.< HELP. - April 7th 2010, 07:40 PM

Hey there.
as fun and relieving as smoking is (I myself am in a similar struggle right now), think about it, do you really want your lungs looking like those nasty pictures someday? and not gonna lie, it's good that you've cut back, but 4 a day is still a lot... but either way, quiting is ultimately your decision. If you wanna talk about it or anything, feel free to PM me. Good luck!

“I can only hope that they’ll turn that anger and frustration and madness into something positive, so that two, three, four, five hundred will step forward, so the gay doctors will come out, the gay lawyers, the gay judges, gay bankers, gay architects … I hope that every professional gay will say ‘enough’, come forward and tell everybody, wear a sign, let the world know. Maybe that will help.” Harvey Milk, 1978

http://amanoutofyou.tumblr.com

(#5 (permalink)) Old
TheLittleNinja Offline
I'm a secret ninja ;)
I've been here a while

Name: Claiiiiiiiiire

Re: Smoking? >.< HELP. - April 7th 2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post
Hey Jess, Its so sad because smoking has taken so many good looking ladies from us guys. I'm not trying to sound shallow but smoking doesn't just take away your life, but your looks to.

Smoking is a real turn off and its really one of the worst things a young person could get into. I bet you can't even grasp the thought of being diagnosed with lounge cancer, knowing you only have a few weeks to live is a scary thought.

I know you think that's not reality for you but sadly enough by the age of 20 you'll really start having health conditions. I'm not saying this to scare you. But if you had half a brain you'd quit to day.

Smoking is a one way ticket to an empty pocket and a short life of hardships. I lost my uncle to smoking and I fear I may lose another.

I'm so against smoking I'd take my own life to ride the world of it if I could. Please PLEASE listen to you mom she's so right!
I agree with this 100%. These are my exact feelings.
The school nurse would be able to help you, as would speaking to a doctor. Patches and Gum may also help.

My Dad has heart failure because of smoking, and is now sucking tic-tacs instead of smoking... try finding a substitue??

I'm still alive.
Must have been a miracle
It's been one hell of a ride
Destination still unkown
It's a fact of life: If you make one wrong move with a gun to your head
You better walk the line or you'll be left for dead.

I'm a runaway train on a broken track
I'm the ticker on the bomb that you can't turn back
Thats right.
I got away with it all and I'm still alive.
Let the end of the world come tumbling down.
I'll be the last man standing on the ground
As long as hot blood runs through my veins
I'm still alive.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
VitruvianDoc Offline
Medical Student
Not a n00b

Name: Charles

Re: Smoking? >.< HELP. - April 8th 2010, 06:09 AM

Quitting cold turkey is nothing anyone can do other than those with the personality and will-power of titanium. You need to find a substitute first (chew bubble gum, sunflower seeds, tic-tacs, etc) or an aid (nicotine patches or gum) and work your way further down.

There are much better aids and outlets to control stress such as exercise or any form of work (cleaning house, working on a car, walking, etc). Smoking now has many solid links to lung cancers, rapid aging (nicotine causes rapid degredation of the connective tissues which causes accelerated tooth loss, gum disease, wrinkle formation, etc) and other worse symptoms.

Please take the 15 years you have had so far and make the best decision you can to protect the remaining 50+ so you don't kick yourself in the ass down the road.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
fuzzycosmicears Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Lacy Jay

Re: Smoking? >.< HELP. - April 8th 2010, 06:17 AM

Well everytime my mom lights one up I tell her not only is she slowly killing her, she is slowly killing me as well.
What I suggested to her is smoking lights. whatever you smoke, smoke lights. and try to only smoke a half at a time. And try to manage the time frame before you smoke another one. Then slowly smoke less and have more time in between each one.

KissingInTheRainCouldBeTheCureToCancer/SoTryItEveryChanceYouGet
  Send a message via Yahoo to fuzzycosmicears  
Closed Thread