TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nishini Offline
~Breathless~
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jeffrey David

I didn't know what else to do =/ - April 23rd 2010, 06:38 AM

I am an 18 year old gay male, I have been openly gay for 5 years, and I have been sexually active for the past two. I've always been very self-confident up til now, I never felt I had to worry about my health because I observed all of the proper precautions and made sure everything was in order. I was talking to a friend today and she was telling me about a friend who had all of these strange symptoms and found out she had HIV. I have almost all of the same symptoms. I am getting checked at the local planned parenthood as soon as I can but I am so scared. All of my nightmares are coming true in my senior year of high school and this is one nightmare I don't want to have realized. I just need someone to talk to, someone who maybe understands what I'm going through, how much fear is pulsing through me right now. I know this is silly and most people would tell me not to worry about it and that everything will be fine. It won't be fine if it's true. And that scares me more than death. More than being forgotten. I'm just so scared right now... is there anyone to talk to here?
  Send a message via AIM to Nishini  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: I didn't know what else to do =/ - April 23rd 2010, 06:39 AM

Have you always used a condom?

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: I didn't know what else to do =/ - April 23rd 2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishini View Post
I know this is silly and most people would tell me not to worry about it and that everything will be fine.
This isn't silly at all HIV is very serious and very scary anyone in your position I imagine would be as terrified as you are. As long as you were safe every time you're probably ok. It also depends what the symptoms are because it could be something else. There isn't much to do or say until you get tested and find out for sure though.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Nishini Offline
~Breathless~
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I didn't know what else to do =/ - April 23rd 2010, 04:06 PM

I've used a condom every time, but I am a condom baby, living screaming proof that condoms aren't foolproof. That's what scares me I think: I could take every precaution in the book and someone else would still be responsible for ruining it all for me

"Passion makes the heart be fast, and so does fear, but passionate fear makes the heart stop for a full second before life comes back again." ~ unknown
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: I didn't know what else to do =/ - April 23rd 2010, 04:56 PM

Well, the only thing to do would to go to a doctor and tell him exactly what you're telling us. We can't really diagnose you know you? It could be something else. If you've used condoms and they haven't broke then you're most likely fine though.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Name: Joce

Re: I didn't know what else to do =/ - April 23rd 2010, 08:15 PM

What symptoms are you having exactly? After researching a bit, it sounds like those symptoms could be symptoms of a million other things. I'll compare this to thinking you are pregnant (try to pretend ). When girls are scared they are pregnant, they start having all of the symptoms because their minds are playing tricks on them. But the symptoms of pregnancy are so common, anyone could have them for any reason.

There is always a chance, because like you said condoms arent 100%. But don't let it drive you crazy until you get tested, because then you'll just keep convincing yourseld you are gonna be positive.

I don't know about planned parenthood, but a lot of local health clinics are switching to mouth swabs versus blood test. You can literally know in minutes. So don't put it off. PM me if you need to talk

When reality is a prison, your mind can set you free.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Nishini Offline
~Breathless~
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I didn't know what else to do =/ - April 24th 2010, 06:25 AM

I know of three things that fit all of my symptoms and really I don't like any of them, cause they all end with nastiness. I have an appointment set for Wednesday so that's good. I just needed someone to talk to who would be impartial until then ya know? For reference they are lyme disease, HIV, and a mite infestation. Not diggin any of the above and thus have taken precautions and measures against all of them, it's just the HIV scares the living daylights out of me... for good reason.

"Passion makes the heart be fast, and so does fear, but passionate fear makes the heart stop for a full second before life comes back again." ~ unknown
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: I didn't know what else to do =/ - April 24th 2010, 04:19 PM

Hey there,

I am very glad that you have an appointment set for Wednesday. This seems like something that you do need to talk to a medical professional about. It is important that you do practice safe sex and that you do get tested regularly to put your mind at rest. Only a medical professional can diagnose you with anything and I would strongly advise against self-diagnosis as it can be very wrong and have you worrying unnecessarily.
I'd suggest that you try and keep calm whilst you're waiting for your appointment and talk things through then.

Take care.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Re: I didn't know what else to do =/ - April 29th 2010, 03:21 PM

How did your appt go? Are you doing ok?

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Nishini Offline
~Breathless~
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I didn't know what else to do =/ - May 4th 2010, 12:55 AM

I got everything back today. I don't know if it is comforting or disconcerting but everything came back negative. According the the tests I am in perfect health... So at least I don't have HIV. That is a big stress relief. Just for anyone who might like to know =)

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Re: I didn't know what else to do =/ - May 4th 2010, 02:50 PM

Thats great! I'm so happy to hear it

Closed Thread