TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Polycystic Kidney Disease - May 11th 2010, 01:44 AM

There's over 50% chance that I have polycystic kidney disease. It's hereditory, and my mum, uncle, grandma and my little brother have it/have had it before they died. I went to the doctor for contraception and found out that I have very high blood pressure (152/111), which is closely linked with this kidney disease. my doctor is sending me for a kidney scan, urine tests, blood tests, and more blood pressure checks.
I'm wondering if anyone else has it or knows anyone else who has had it? I'm not really that worried about anything happening yet as it doesn't usually cause problems for several years until you're in your 40's. But I just wanted to see if anyone else has any experiences with it as the only thing I've experienced is seeing my mum wasting away before she had her kidney transplant and my grandma and uncle both dying from things caused by the kidney disease. In a sick way, I'm kind of welcoming it to be honest - I've wanted to die for such a long time that this would give me a reason to do so... Ugh, my head is so messed up atm
So yeah, any experiences, advice, guidance?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Heartbreak Kid Offline
FragileMind
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lucy

Re: Polycystic Kidney Disease - May 11th 2010, 10:32 PM

I have it, it doesn't actually cause that many problems if it's closely controlled . My Mum, Grandma, 2 Brothers and most of my Grandads Brothers have it. All except my brothers have had transplants, they are all fine now and were all the way through they found it early and closely monitored them with bloods and urine and blood pressure. If it does cause high blood pressure, i think theres tablets that can controll that. Anything else that it causes they will controll as much as they can. It shouldn't effect you until your older anyway

I've personally had no experience with it, but all i got told was avoid smoking, Anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen and don't drink to much.

Hope things go well

PM if you need a chat
<3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Polycystic Kidney Disease - May 11th 2010, 11:04 PM

I have a large chance of getting it, my dad has it, my grandma has it, the majority of my aunts and uncles on my dad side have it and one uncle needed a transplant.
From what I've heard though you can manage with it if it's found early enough, and you'll probably be put on some sort of medicine to keep your blood pressure down as well.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Polycystic Kidney Disease - May 12th 2010, 10:04 PM

Thanks guys, It's nice to know I'm not the only one who's had a family history of it. My mum said that if you manage it, it'll be a lot longer until it's gets bad enough for you to need a transplant as her brother didn't look after himself and he died in his early 40's and she had a transplant 3 years ago and is now 51 and doing fine =]
I think I just needed to hear that there were other people going through similar things to me. Obviously if I do have it, I'll probably quit smoking and sort out my drinking and quit doing drugs and eat healthy and all that - I'd rather spend as long as I can doing what I want and not being ill (Y)

Closed Thread