TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nickylk Offline
Average Joe

Name: Nicky Lk

Afraid..... - October 10th 2010, 02:56 AM

I am afraid I might have diabetes ...... I been really thirsty lately.
  Send a message via MSN to Nickylk Send a message via Yahoo to Nickylk  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Afraid..... - October 10th 2010, 02:59 AM

Hey there Nickey!

You might just be dehydrated. Try drinking lot's and lot's of water

If you still feel as if you're diabetic, you should see a doctor. Diabetes is a serious thing, so I would say go to the doctor asap.

Good luck

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Elle_Dorado Offline
Average Joe

Name: Michelle

Re: Afraid..... - October 10th 2010, 04:25 AM

I also agree with Lyndsee. Also I find doing research can help too or maybe try talking to someone you know has it.
PS. Shane Dawson is awesome!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Nickylk Offline
Average Joe

Re: Afraid..... - October 10th 2010, 04:50 AM

Im just really scared right now I have to see my doctor soon for my Thyroid but I am terrified that I have it. I looked up the symptoms online and the only ones I have from the list were fatigue and being thirsty. I can rule out the fatigue tho because I am always tired.
P.S I know I love Shane. He is an inspiration to me
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
darkangeljbm Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jaclyn

Re: Afraid..... - October 10th 2010, 05:35 AM

I do that as well but i have never had any sugar issues. You could just be needing more water in your body. If you are worried about it then talk to your doctor about it. Chances are you don't have it but if you do as long as you take care of your self you well be have a long and healthy life

(#6 (permalink)) Old
jillianjayde Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jillian Jayde

Re: Afraid..... - October 10th 2010, 10:27 AM

Hello, hello.

Just thought I would drop in some of my professional advice here! I trained and worked as an Emergency Medical Technician, had a diabetic girlfriend and also come from a long family line of people with both diabetes and thyroid problems.

Firstly, a lot of problems that stem from thyroid issues share the same symptoms and effects as diabetes. Usually when your doctor does a panel testing for one, they will automatically run tests for the other.

Secondly, the main signifiers of diabetes are what we in the medical field call the Three P's: Polyuria, Polydipsia, and Polyphasia. You usually don't just have one, you have them all.

Polyuria: Having to pee and actually going pee...all the time.
Polydipsia: Being thirsty all the time to a point where you are constantly drinking fluids but never can conquer said thirst.
Polyphasia: Always being hungry but never feeling satisfied by what you eat.

If you have all of those symptoms, and not just a thirst that is satiated when you actually drink water, then I would definitely bring it to your doctor when you see him/her next.

Jillian Jayde

In the depths of winter, I looked inside myself and found an invincible spring. - Camus

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Afraid..... - October 10th 2010, 10:46 AM

Hey there (:

Obviously we can't diagnose medical conditions online, I would really recommend seeing your doctor. Does diabetes run in your family or has anything else made you believe that you could have it?

I'm thirsty all the time because of medication!

Don't hesitate to message me.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Afraid..... - October 10th 2010, 10:53 AM

I also suggest that you see a doctor as its the only way you will know for sure if you have it.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Ancora Imparo Offline
XVI VIII MMXIV. ♥
I've been here a while

Name: Jake

Re: Afraid..... - October 10th 2010, 12:13 PM

Hey Nickey,

I know that you're scared right now and everything but the only way you're going to find out whether you do or not is if you go and see a doctor about it. Plus, like someone has already said,
diabetes is a pretty serious thing and if you do have it then it's important that the doctors find out about it sooner rather than later so that they can help you and make you feel better. I hope that everything turns out okay and I'm always here for you if you ever want to talk about anything so feel free to PM me at anytime. Also, I agree, Shane Dawson is amazing!

Take care and stay strong!

When we're lost in the madness, kindness is wisdom.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Ancora Imparo 
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Afraid..... - October 10th 2010, 02:16 PM

I know it's scary to think that you might have a serious medical condition, but until you get it diagnosed then you shouldn't worry too much. You may have a few of the symptoms, but they could be symptoms to other things, instead of something serious like diabetes. You should definitely speak to a doctor as soon as possible to get an official diagnosis before you worry too much.

Take care.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Nickylk Offline
Average Joe

Re: Afraid..... - October 10th 2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillianjayde View Post
Hello, hello.

Just thought I would drop in some of my professional advice here! I trained and worked as an Emergency Medical Technician, had a diabetic girlfriend and also come from a long family line of people with both diabetes and thyroid problems.

Firstly, a lot of problems that stem from thyroid issues share the same symptoms and effects as diabetes. Usually when your doctor does a panel testing for one, they will automatically run tests for the other.

Secondly, the main signifiers of diabetes are what we in the medical field call the Three P's: Polyuria, Polydipsia, and Polyphasia. You usually don't just have one, you have them all.

Polyuria: Having to pee and actually going pee...all the time.
Polydipsia: Being thirsty all the time to a point where you are constantly drinking fluids but never can conquer said thirst.
Polyphasia: Always being hungry but never feeling satisfied by what you eat.

If you have all of those symptoms, and not just a thirst that is satiated when you actually drink water, then I would definitely bring it to your doctor when you see him/her next.

Jillian Jayde

Really the thyroid does? because I have an underactive thyroid and been taking medication for it, but if this dry throat or mouth/thirstyness is from that I never had these side effects before. I got tested for diabetes last year and my doctor said my blood/sugar levels were normal. So I am trying not to worry to much.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
jillianjayde Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jillian Jayde

Re: Afraid..... - October 10th 2010, 08:20 PM

There have been many documented cases of people taking the same medication for years and developing brand new side effects out of nowhere. Your body is a constantly evolving mixture of chemicals, compounds and systems. Just as people can eat peanut butter, or own a cat, for ten years and all the sudden develop a severe allergy to either.

Thirst is a side effect of too many things to even begin listing, but it could be caused by your medication, changes in weight or sleep cycle, menstrual issues, level of exercise, or simply dehydration. I suffer from Chronic Dehydration Disorder, and it has put me in the hospital multiple times because I simply don't think about drinking anything and end up so dehydrated my body starts going wonky.

I would say go to your doctor, or even just give their office a call and let them know that you have been suffering from excessive thirst and want to know if it could be related to anything they're already treating you for and if you should come in. Until then, start carrying around a pint of water with you and drink, drink, drink until your pee turns clear! LOL.

Jillian Jayde

In the depths of winter, I looked inside myself and found an invincible spring. - Camus

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Nickylk Offline
Average Joe

Re: Afraid..... - October 10th 2010, 08:22 PM

okay thanks....its not like im thirsty tho, it just feels like my mouth is dry and my throat is dry.
Closed Thread