TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Help Me Lose Weight - October 11th 2010, 02:43 AM

I injured my knee a while ago, and that means I haven't exercised truly for the past year and a bit... I've been lucky enough to only gain about [edited] lbs. But still, I can't even look at myself anymore. I lost all that weight, injured myself, and now I'm only a mere [edited] lbs away from where I started (and I don't think I'm that far off, since I even had more muscle when I was fat before).

I'm still puzzled because I'm not losing much fat at all. I've been eating pretty damn healthy and doing as much exercise as I can fit into my schedule. Please, tell me truly, will this hopefully help me lose weight? I'm [edited] lbs right now, and while that doesn't sound like a lot, I have quite the flabby stomach. I'm tired of being fat, for my own wellbeing.

What I'm starting to do now:
-Eat super healthy... yes, I mean super healthy, barely (if any) junk food at all. And I know for a fact because I don't even crave junk food anymore.
-Drink a lot of liquids... water and green tea. A good 3 large mugs of green tea a day, and a good two or more large thermoses of water at the absolute least. And yes, this is becoming habit too.
-Eat a lot less... the liquids stave off the hunger, and eating healthy keeps me full a lot more.
-Walk for 20 mins a day... it's the minimum I can do, but is it enough? I don't have much time to do more most of the time with school, and I can't do much more straining things with my knee still damaged. I can fit in another 20 mins of walking if it's necessary. I also don't like most sports or forms of exercise, which doesn't really help my case...

I've only started being this healthy about a weekend ago. Will this help, even with my lack of exercise? So far I've lost about [edited], but I also had my period, and I certainly haven't noticed any physical changes. Help please. This experience has been so emotionally damaging for me, for lack of better words.

I plan to track my progress as much as I can here too, if anyone cares to watch.

Last edited by Gaia; October 11th 2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Weight numbers are against the ToS

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Frosty Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Help Me Lose Weight - October 11th 2010, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyYouDon'tKnow View Post
What I'm starting to do now:
-Eat super healthy... yes, I mean super healthy, barely (if any) junk food at all. And I know for a fact because I don't even crave junk food anymore.
Eating healthy is great, but without you going into more depth we have no idea if your concept of "eating healthy" is even conducive to your goals.

Quote:
-Walk for 20 mins a day... it's the minimum I can do, but is it enough? I don't have much time to do more most of the time with school, and I can't do much more straining things with my knee still damaged. I can fit in another 20 mins of walking if it's necessary.
Don't stress out about exercise. It's great, but ultimately al it does for weight loss is help you make a calorie deficit, which you can do just fine with diet alone.

Having said that, have you tried swimming, or perhaps even lifting weights (obviously you'd be confined to upper body movements until the relevant medical professional gives the thumbs up)? Although you could certainly find some lower body exercises that would be ok. Seated good mornings come to mind as one that'll hit your glutes and hamstrings great without stressing your knees.

Also, stop stressing out so much about weight, and look more at how you look/feel. If you're eating healthy and doing exercise you'll potentially be gaining lean mass.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: Help Me Lose Weight - October 11th 2010, 03:22 PM

@Frosty: Foodwise, I don't really follow a strict diet, but it basically sums up to more water/green tea, more fruits and vegetables, less junk (candy, chocolate, fast food ect.), and less overall caloric intake.

As for exercising, I'm too young to go to a gym. Most of the pools are closed here, and it's too cold unless I go for indoor swimming (which I might just do now that you mention it :P). I'm probably going to get some lower body exercises soon enough since I'm supposed to go to physio soon... whether or not that happens we'll see...

And finally as for weight, I do realize weight isn't accurate for measuring how fat I am, and how muscle weighs more and so on. I guess I use weight more as a general word for how much fat I have. But I do feel crappy because I used to be a lot skinnier, and the weight I've gained is visible, which is why I want to lose it so bad.

But anyhow, I'm rambling again, thanks for your advice

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Frosty Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Help Me Lose Weight - October 12th 2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
@Frosty: Foodwise, I don't really follow a strict diet, but it basically sums up to more water/green tea, more fruits and vegetables, less junk (candy, chocolate, fast food ect.), and less overall caloric intake.
Well if at all possible, what's a typical day in your diet?

Also: Make sure your vegetables are actually vegetables.

Quote:
As for exercising, I'm too young to go to a gym.
How old are you? And if all else fails I guess you could use your bodyweight at home.

Quote:
Most of the pools are closed here, and it's too cold unless I go for indoor swimming (which I might just do now that you mention it :P).
I thought that would've been the first option? Lol.

Quote:
And finally as for weight, I do realize weight isn't accurate for measuring how fat I am, and how muscle weighs more and so on. I guess I use weight more as a general word for how much fat I have. But I do feel crappy because I used to be a lot skinnier, and the weight I've gained is visible, which is why I want to lose it so bad.
Look as is your weight is probably a reasonably good indicator, but if you take my advice and start doing resistance training don't be surprised if you start to look better without losing weight.

Quote:
But anyhow, I'm rambling again, thanks for your advice
No worries.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: Help Me Lose Weight - October 16th 2010, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Well if at all possible, what's a typical day in your diet?

Also: Make sure your vegetables are actually vegetables.

How old are you? And if all else fails I guess you could use your bodyweight at home.

I thought that would've been the first option? Lol.

Look as is your weight is probably a reasonably good indicator, but if you take my advice and start doing resistance training don't be surprised if you start to look better without losing weight.

No worries.
Sorry for taking so long to get back to this, been really busy. Anyhow:

For food, it's usually cereal or eggs in the morning... sandwich and fruit for lunch, and whatever my parents decide to cook for dinner, thought it is usually pretty healthy. Lots of brown rice, lean meats, and bitter vegetables (and yes, they certainly are vegetables... lots of spinach and rappini :P). Also have a few snacks in between, but it's usually fruit or granola bars. And of course, lots of water.

I'd rather not share my age, but I'm a fairly young teen I suppose.

It's only been a few days and I've already noticed a difference. Unfortunately, that difference was that my breasts got smaller, but seemingly nothing else. I'm sure that the rest of my body will catch up though. I'm already feeling more confident in this. I also am finally getting my leg treated so I might be recovered soon!

I'm sure this is probably sort of boring and pointless to read, but thanks for listening anyways.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Help Me Lose Weight - October 16th 2010, 04:51 AM

Hey

It sounds like you have been losing weight already which is great. Don't get discouraged. When people lose weight, the amount of weight they lose slows some. You sound like you are doing a great job.
You also eat really healthy which is great.

For your stomach, do exercises that specifically target your stomach. Sometimes it is difficult to lose weight in a certain place, but don't give up.

Good luck!
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Frosty Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Help Me Lose Weight - October 16th 2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Sorry for taking so long to get back to this, been really busy. Anyhow:

For food, it's usually cereal or eggs in the morning
Eggs = good. Cereal not so much.

Quote:
sandwich and fruit for lunch
Bread = empty carbs. Is it possible to make some sort of salad out of what you'd normally have in the sandwich?

Quote:
and whatever my parents decide to cook for dinner, thought it is usually pretty healthy. Lots of brown rice, lean meats, and bitter vegetables (and yes, they certainly are vegetables... lots of spinach and rappini :P).
Meats and vegetables are good. Brown rice is just more empty carbs though. Try to just have the others, or atleast make them more of a focus in your meals.

Quote:
I'd rather not share my age, but I'm a fairly young teen I suppose.
Fair enough. Do bodyweight exercises until you're old enough then (I'm assuming your folks aren't going to be too keen on buying you your own weight set).

Quote:
It's only been a few days and I've already noticed a difference. Unfortunately, that difference was that my breasts got smaller, but seemingly nothing else. I'm sure that the rest of my body will catch up though. I'm already feeling more confident in this.
Unfortunately we can't control where we lose fat from. Hopefully the rest of the weight loss should be from a more aesthetically pleasing area.

Quote:
I also am finally getting my leg treated so I might be recovered soon!

I'm sure this is probably sort of boring and pointless to read, but thanks for listening anyways.
Awesome. And no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberries View Post
For your stomach, do exercises that specifically target your stomach. Sometimes it is difficult to lose weight in a certain place, but don't give up.
I'm just gonna let wikipedia speak for me.

Last edited by Bibliophile; October 16th 2010 at 10:11 AM. Reason: (:

(#8 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Help Me Lose Weight - October 16th 2010, 09:07 AM

It sounds to me like what you are doing is fine enough. Carbs are only bad when you are consuming more then the daily amount. Everyone needs carbs and be that through cereal, sandwiches etc it is okay.

What would really help is learning what serving sizes are. For example, two slices of bread - 2 starches/carbs. Don't cut out starches completely because that is not healthy we all need starches. What could help is going into your doctor and getting an idea of what your food plan should contain. How many starches/carbs, proteins, fats, vegetables, fruits should you be consuming.

I think the two most important things for people to know is what servings sizes are and how many fats, proteins, carbs, fruits and veggies they should consume. When you are aware of that it makes eating healthy a little bit easier.

However, like I said from the beginning it does sound like what you are doing is good. It is going to take a while for you to notice it but it will happen.

If you want to talk more about this you can feel free to pm me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Frosty Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Help Me Lose Weight - October 17th 2010, 12:18 PM

Carbs are infact basically the only macro the human body can not consume and do just fine without.

Of course you don't need to go to that extreme, but the foods with the most carbs are typically very dense in calories and not many other nutrients.

And yes working out how much you should be getting of everything is a great idea, though I wouldn't suggest you look at something like the RDI. That thing is so high in carbs it's like a one way ticket to obesity and/or nutrient deficiency.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: Help Me Lose Weight - October 20th 2010, 03:29 AM

Thanks for all the responses :P

Already knew about the spot reduction thing. I've done a fair bit of research, I guess lol!

For the sandwich I've started getting pita. Not as good as a salad but I find salads don't make me full. Brown rice I guess is my downfall. I really like it a lot, and it's better than the white rice we used to eat. I eat it a lot less now, but I don't think I could give that up forever.

Have a lot of controversy about carbs. Some people say that it's the worst thing to eat, meanwhile other sources say that it doesn't matter. Either way, I still consume a pretty minimal amount, can't say I'm very worried about it.

As for portion size, I can't say I know them religiously, but I don't consume very many grains or much dairy at all. I'll have probably like 5 servings at most in a day if I ate both brown rice and cereal. Dairy is absolute minimal due to lactose intolerance. Meats and proteins I can't give an exact amount, but I never eat that much in general. Fruits and vegetables I don't count, but I certainly don't think it's possible to "overdose" on them unless that's all you eat.

Fat is dropping so far my jeans fit looser already.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Frosty Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Help Me Lose Weight - October 20th 2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
For the sandwich I've started getting pita. Not as good as a salad but I find salads don't make me full.
Your salads probably need more of a variety of plants and more protein then.

Quote:
Brown rice I guess is my downfall. I really like it a lot, and it's better than the white rice we used to eat. I eat it a lot less now, but I don't think I could give that up forever.
Actually, the additional nutritional benefit from brown rice vs. white is minimal, and it's arguable that white is actually better as it is far lower in phytates (make micronutrients biounavailable) and lectins (irritate the bowels).

Have you heard of cauliflower rice? I've never used it myself, but I've heard it does the job of replacing rice really well. Also, you should look at the role rice plays in your diet. It's usually just a vehicle for other food and used to pad them out. If I'm out for indian or something I'll just order double of whatever I would've otherwise had with rice and eat it as is, and it suits me fine.

Quote:
Have a lot of controversy about carbs. Some people say that it's the worst thing to eat, meanwhile other sources say that it doesn't matter. Either way, I still consume a pretty minimal amount, can't say I'm very worried about it.
Well ultimately, the key factor with weight loss is calories in vs. calories out. Anything else is secondary to this. But having said that, low carb diets put your body in an excellent hormonal environment for fat burning, and the majority of foods that would be eliminated on a low carb diet e.g. grains are dense in calories and don't have much in the way of nutritional value, traits you'd want to avoid on a weight loss diet anyway.

Quote:
Meats and proteins I can't give an exact amount, but I never eat that much in general.
You probably should. This like I said above would go a long way towards making your salads filling and even more nutritious.

Closed Thread