TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Love Handles. - October 13th 2010, 01:12 PM

How do I lose my love handles? My self-esteem is completely nonexistant. I'm tired of trying to hide my 'pudge' and the excercises you see in magazines doesn't ever work.

I'm looking for workout stuff that you guys have done and that actually works.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Frosty Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Love Handles. - October 13th 2010, 02:01 PM

You can't spot reduce fat. If you want to lose them you're going to have to run a calorie deficit and lose weight in general. Ignore the broscience you see in magazines about "toning your abs with (insert exercise here)".

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Re: Love Handles. - October 13th 2010, 02:30 PM

But the problem is that that's the only place I really have any fat to lose on me. And I don't really eat all that much, so I don't think cutting calories would be healthy.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: Love Handles. - October 13th 2010, 05:02 PM

Then I would say exercise is better to tone the muscles, reducing fat
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Love Handles. - October 13th 2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
You can't spot reduce fat. If you want to lose them you're going to have to run a calorie deficit and lose weight in general. Ignore the broscience you see in magazines about "toning your abs with (insert exercise here)".
She shouldn't run a calorie deficit unless she is truly overweight and even then, you have to be careful doing that because you can't run a calorie deficit forever. When someone is losing weight, they should have a life style change, not a calorie deficit. Running a calorie deficit can also rob people of the nutrients that they need.

Toning does in-fact work for me as long as I do aerobic exercise with it.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Love Handles. - October 13th 2010, 07:14 PM

I agree with Kitty. It's a lifestyle change. My mom is totally into all this stuff.

I'm just going to go by what she does.
-She goes to the gym/does cardio AT LEAST 3 times a week
-Provided you want muscle tone, she does that 3 times a week too
-Eats six small meals throughout the day
-Doesn't eat junk food, fast food, glucose, white bread. etc.
-She does yoga as well.

Hope I helped some

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Frosty Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Love Handles. - October 14th 2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myss View Post
But the problem is that that's the only place I really have any fat to lose on me.
Then it stands to reason that that's the place you're going to lose fat from if you run a calorie deficit.

Quote:
And I don't really eat all that much
Are you sure? I mean it's possible you don't, but plenty of people seem to be bad at gauging how much they eat (on both sides of the spectrum, people looking to lose weight and those looking to bulk up).

Quote:
so I don't think cutting calories would be healthy.
Well you can also contribute to a calorie deficit through exercise, though I'm sure within your current diet there's scope for reducing calorie intake but maintaining if not increasing nutrient intake through more nutrient-dense foods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlora View Post
Then I would say exercise is better to tone the muscles
You can't "tone" muscles. You can only decrease or increase their size, although OP could probably benefit both in terms of health and aesthetics from doing the latter. You can also change the amount of fat you have covering the muscles (which can give the impression of "toning"), but that involves my next point, which is;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlora View Post
reducing fat
Reducing fat can only occur through burning it off via burning more than you take in i.e. running a calorie deficit. Anyone who tells you to do something like high rep exercises to "feel the burn" and burn off the fat doesn't know what they're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberries View Post
She shouldn't run a calorie deficit unless she is truly overweight
No, a calorie deficit is for anyone who needs to lose weight. Unless you're denying a few basic laws of thermodynamics and human biology, it's the only way for someone to lose weight, by taking in less than their body burns.

Quote:
and even then, you have to be careful doing that because you can't run a calorie deficit forever.
I never said she should. Once she gets to a fat level which is healthier and which she finds more aesthetically pleasing she would just eliminate the deficit and maintain her weight with cals in = cals out.

Quote:
When someone is losing weight, they should have a life style change, not a calorie deficit.
Unless that lifestyle change involves a calorie deficit i.e. eating less calories than they burn it's not going to help them lose weight.

Quote:
Running a calorie deficit can also rob people of the nutrients that they need.
I refuse to believe that OP is currently eating so healthy that there is no scope for increased nutrient density to maintain or even increase the levels of micronutrients in her diet.

Quote:
Toning does in-fact work for me as long as I do aerobic exercise with it.
Look, you can make meaningless correlations like "I did "toning" exercise along with burning calories with cardio and probably taking in less calories through my diet and as a result lost fat, therefore toning works" as much as you want, but there is simply no biological mechanism for what is commonly thought of as "toning" to work. And if what you did actually worked, it's because you did (intentionally or unintentionally) the very thing I'm advocating. Again, all you can do is increase or decrease the size of muscle, or gain or lose fat covering the muscle. There is no scope for "toning" in there, nor is there anything more scientificly rigourous than the front cover of a womans health magazine that will tell you anything to the contrary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndsee View Post
-She goes to the gym/does cardio AT LEAST 3 times a week
Cardio is good, but you need to watch it that you don't do it to the point where you're wearing your body down and then undoing all your work and then some by stimulating cravings for empty carbs.

Quote:
-Provided you want muscle tone, she does that 3 times a week too
Look, I'm sorry, but there's no such thing as "toning". What your mum does 3 times a week is probably some form of resistance exercise, which is great, but both her and OP would be better served with a real, well planned resistance training program, as opposed to your typical "toning" program, which just involves hundreds of reps of mostly isolation with a pink 2lb dumbell based on the pheudoscientific idea that this is going to somehow "tone" your body.

Quote:
-Eats six small meals throughout the day
Actually, I believe the science in this area is starting to cast doubt on whether or not splitting up your meal is beneficial, and there's actually some evidence to suggest that it may be detrimental in some respects.

Quote:
-Doesn't eat junk food, fast food, glucose, white bread. etc.
Good advice, though I'm going to read into what's implied with the "no white bread" statement and throw it out there that whole grain products aren't much better, and can in some cases actually be worse.

Quote:
-She does yoga as well.
I don't know that much about yoga, but it does seems like it would be good for flexibility, which can never be a bad thing.

Last edited by Frosty; October 14th 2010 at 12:55 AM.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Love Handles. - October 15th 2010, 02:57 AM

Quote:
No, a calorie deficit is for anyone who needs to lose weight. Unless you're denying a few basic laws of thermodynamics and human biology, it's the only way for someone to lose weight, by taking in less than their body burns.
Yeah she might lose weight, but not where she wants to. I know so many people who have run a calorie deficit and lost where they didn't want to lose it. I would hate to see that happen to the OP.

Quote:
I never said she should. Once she gets to a fat level which is healthier and which she finds more aesthetically pleasing she would just eliminate the deficit and maintain her weight with cals in = cals out.
It makes absolutely no sense to cut calories and then bring the same ones back. How about a lifestyle change? Something that is healthy and permanent. Much better idea. Plus when you run a calorie deficit, your metabolism slows.

Quote:
Unless that lifestyle change involves a calorie deficit i.e. eating less calories than they burn it's not going to help them lose weight.
That lifestyle change can mean swapping out unhealthy food for healthy food. That way the OP will get less Saturated fat, trans fat, sodium, etc.

Quote:
I refuse to believe that OP is currently eating so healthy that there is no scope for increased nutrient density to maintain or even increase the levels of micronutrients in her diet.
I never said she was eating enough nutrients. I simply said that running a calorie deficit can rob her of needed nutrients.

Quote:
Look, you can make meaningless correlations like "I did "toning" exercise along with burning calories with cardio and probably taking in less calories through my diet and as a result lost fat, therefore toning works" as much as you want, but there is simply no biological mechanism for what is commonly thought of as "toning" to work. And if what you did actually worked, it's because you did (intentionally or unintentionally) the very thing I'm advocating. Again, all you can do is increase or decrease the size of muscle, or gain or lose fat covering the muscle. There is no scope for "toning" in there, nor is there anything more scientificly rigourous than the front cover of a womans health magazine that will tell you anything to the contrary.
It is not meaningless at all. And fyi, I eat the same amount of calories every single day and I have been doing so for a long long time.
Toning DOES work and I know tons of other people who have toned as well.
I used to be a high-level gymnast and we did toning things too and they worked.
So yes, me and lots of other people have all had success with toning.
I'm sorry that you haven't had success with any toning that you have done, but that doesn't mean that others can't have success with toning.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Frosty Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Love Handles. - October 15th 2010, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Yeah she might lose weight, but not where she wants to. I know so many people who have run a calorie deficit and lost where they didn't want to lose it. I would hate to see that happen to the OP.
Eventually she will lose it from where she wants. She may be unfortunate and lose some from where she doesn't want yeah, genetics can be a bitch like that. Unfortunately it is impossible to target where your body burns fat, so it's a case of keep all the weight, or trying to lose it and hope it's lost in a generally aesthetically pleasing way.

Quote:
It makes absolutely no sense to cut calories and then bring the same ones back.
Of course it does. Calories in < calories out = weight loss. Calories in = calories out = weight maintenence. It therefore stands to reason that if you are currently maintaining an undesirable high weight, the best course of action is to drop calories to get down to your ideal bodyweight, then bring them back up so that you are maintaining said ideal weight.

Quote:
How about a lifestyle change? Something that is healthy and permanent. Much better idea.
I'm all for OP eating a healthy diet, but that alone isn't going to lose her the weight. No matter how healthy your diet is, you're not going to lose weight if you're eating at or above maintenence calories.

Quote:
Plus when you run a calorie deficit, your metabolism slows.
Any such effect would be negligible unless OP does something stupid like just stops eating, which isn't what I'm suggesting.

Quote:
That lifestyle change can mean swapping out unhealthy food for healthy food. That way the OP will get less Saturated fat, trans fat, sodium, etc.
For the record, saturated fat isn't unhealthy. But regardless, like I said above, no matter how healthy you are, you're not going to lose weight if you're eating at or above maintenence calories.

And you keep talking as though I'm suggesting OP doesn't try to eat healthy. I'm not saying this at all, I'm merely saying that this alone isn't going to lose the weight.

Quote:
I never said she was eating enough nutrients.
I don't believe I claimed that you did.

Quote:
I simply said that running a calorie deficit can rob her of needed nutrients.
Again, like with your slowed metabolism point, it's like you think my "run a calorie deficit" advice is suggesting something stupid like not eating. Any reduced intake of nutrients can be very easily made up by including more nutrient dense foods, and despite what you seem to think, I'm not saying she shouldn't try to move towards healthier foods.

Quote:
It is not meaningless at all. And fyi, I eat the same amount of calories every single day and I have been doing so for a long long time.
Fat loss and muscle growth can occur very slowly when you're exercising on maintenence calories. It stands to reason that if you were doing this, you're going to appear more "toned". This effect has nothing to do with some pseudoscientific idea of "toning" your muscles with high reps beyond any effects achieved by muscle growth and/or fat loss.

Quote:
Toning DOES work and I know tons of other people who have toned as well.
Translation: Losing fat and gaining muscle DOES work and I know tons of other people who have lost fat and gained muscle whilst attributing their newfound aesthetics to a meaningless concept called "toning".

Quote:
I used to be a high-level gymnast and we did toning things too and they worked.
Translation: I used to be a high-level gymnast and we did exercise that built muscle and burnt fat too and they worked.

Quote:
So yes, me and lots of other people have all had success with toning.
I'm sorry that you haven't had success with any toning that you have done, but that doesn't mean that others can't have success with toning.
I have had success with "toning" in a sense. I appear more "toned" than I used to due to a combination of increased lean mass and reduced fat covering it. The difference between you and me however is that I understand the mechanisms at work here (muscle gain and fat loss) and as such can easily work towards the goal of "toning", or advise others with a similar goal. You on the other hand are attributing your gains to some meaningless piece of pseudoscience, and as such have no idea of how to effectively reach these goals or advise others on how to effectively reach these goals.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Love Handles. - October 15th 2010, 02:03 PM

Please refrain from turning this thread into a debate. If you wish to debate head over to the appropriate forums.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Re: Love Handles. - October 15th 2010, 05:59 PM

There's not one particular set of things to do/change that will work for everyone, Frosty.

Closed Thread