TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Seizures? - October 27th 2010, 10:36 AM

It's a while since I've been on here, mainly because of this and various other problems, but I wondered if anyone could help me. I started having seizures, maybe about 2 months ago, and at first it was just silly things like twitches and falling over, but they've been getting steadily worse. I've had tests which show I'm not epileptic, and I'm still going in for constant checkups and tests and scans, but in the meantime I wondered if any of you know what might be going on.
It's getting quite scary because I've just started Uni, and the other day I had a full blown fit in a lecture theatre and I was so unbearable embarrassed that I'm ashamed to go back. The worrying part is that I've always had problems with my heart beat and now when I fit it goes completely haywire. It's wiping me out 'cause I'm so tired and I can't tell when these are gonna happen - I fitted in Tesco the other day and smacked my head on a shelf - and they seem to be getting more common.

Halp?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BanksyRat Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Seizures? - October 27th 2010, 01:20 PM

Best contact a doctor as soon as possible. Have you told your parents? I've no idea much about seizures but maybe you've been going through major stress lately? But only a doctor is going to put your mind at rest.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Release9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Seizures? - October 27th 2010, 01:21 PM

Hi
I think that you should seriously go to a doctor before they can get any worse. Did you have a serious illness when you were little? If you did, that might be the cause of it. But, as I said, you really need to go to a doctor.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: Seizures? - October 27th 2010, 01:23 PM

I've been to the doctors and I'm still having loads of tests done :/ It's just annoying 'cause it's really embarrassing and not really what want when I'm in uni I've never had any serious illnesses that I know of, just the odd infection here and there.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BanksyRat Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Seizures? - October 27th 2010, 07:45 PM

Have you spoken to your uni healthcare team? If not, then I think they ought to know, especially if you crashed out.

All I can say it must be tough, but unless you already do so, stay off the alcohol and avoid loud busy places, even strobing lights. That is probably quite difficult if you have a visiting band and want to boogy.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: Seizures? - October 28th 2010, 08:18 AM

Yeah, the Uni knows whats going on now, hard for them not to after the drama we had lol. It's gutting 'cause I've managed two nights out since I moved away, and everyone is always going to the clubs to do all this awesome stuff. Me and the boyfriend have compromised for halloween though, he's taking me to the pub at the end of our street cause its quiet and I can come home easily No drinking though - doctor told me that.

I just wish we knew what was going on, I'm exhausted all the time and I'm covered in bruises

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Seizures? - October 28th 2010, 01:57 PM

Hey there,

Obviously the doctors are doing all they can for you to try and find out what it is. Have you thought about keeping a diary of what your eating and sleeping are, just so you can see whether there's any familiar patterns? It's always worth looking into these things a little. Are you on any medication at all that could be causing this? I would recommend that you get to hospital if these get worse, it seems as though you're having them quite often and they are unbearable. Keep pushing your doctors to find out what it is!

Marie.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Seizures? - October 28th 2010, 08:03 PM

What would be ideal, and I'm sure the doctor has requested this but if not, have someone you know document how the seizure looks, what you do (i.e. body cringes inwards or not), which parts seize, if they all seize at once or if it starts at one area then moves, how you feel afterward, if they can communicate to you and you communicate back, etc... . You already mentioned you feel tired after having a seizure but according to the doctors, it's not epilepsy (which indicates that the seizures involve your limbs moving outward rather than inward and may not be a rhythmic motion). If you can get someone to consistently document this information, that is ideal for the doctor.

Are you on anti-convulsants, such as phenytoin or others? Are you on any medications at all?

Also, have you had your blood glucose monitored because extremely low or high (mostly low) can affect your movements and even lead to blacking out, possibly with seizures?

Are there any other changes you've noticed that occur outside of the time you have seizures? For example, issues with your speech, writing, vision, sound, etc...? I ask this because when people develop seizures for whatever reason and they get more and more common and severe, sometimes there's something else that changes. This may not necessarily reflect the cause.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread