TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

short of breath - October 27th 2010, 11:08 PM

*I know y'all arent doctors*

Everyday when I am at college and I have to walk far from my car to the classroom, I feel like I can't breathe. I get all shakey and feel faint and I just keep pushing myself so I dont pass out in the hallway.

I am not sure i want to tell my mom about it, because she likes to self diagnose me and she will say it's because I am lazy. But I seriously can't see that possible.

I am not being over dramatic or anything. This is all 100% true. When I get short of breath, it feels like my chest gets tight and I like struggle to get air in.

Even if I did go to the doctor, I am not sure what they could do? I don't have a clue what is happening, but it sucks.

On a side note, I have had 3 surgeries in the last year, so I haven't been extremely active.

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
fresco Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Re: short of breath - October 27th 2010, 11:53 PM

These are just guesses...

That sounds like a problem with your lungs or with your circulation in general. In order from most likely to least likely...I am thinking asthma (which can develop later in life), allergies, lung disease. Asthma can definitely be brought on by lazy behavior. As well it could be buildup in your lungs...I hope you don't smoke! It can be water buildup in your lungs, which I think in this case is more likely than disease but not as likely as asthma. I'm not sure how the condition is induced or what it is called but the case I heard about was fatal. You should definitely keep in touch with your doctor. It can be something minor like asthma but it can in theory be something serious.

...But don't take my word for it. My knowledge in this field is limited to an AP Bio course and many many hours dedicated to the Discovery Health Channel. And personal experience with asthma.

Even if it is "just" asthma, you really should see a doctor. Just in case.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Re: short of breath - October 28th 2010, 01:41 AM

yeah I don't smoke. yuck.

and thanks for your input maybe i will talk to my mom, just not sure how to bring it up.

"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BanksyRat Offline
Not a n00b

Re: short of breath - October 28th 2010, 01:54 AM

I was thinking asthma, as well. But, you're going to have to see your doctor and get advice and, if he/she thinks you have need for an inhaler or whatever, be assured your shortness of breath will get sorted.

Mums. Oh, did mine fuss! But like yours and so many other mums, only mean well in trying to self-diagnose. I would say, let her know and for a couple of reasons. One, if you ever had a severe breating problem, she'd freak out, and two, knowing you have a condition, would be all the more aware of what to do in an emergency.

Your condition isn't going to improve. Sorry to sound pushy, but you just gotta bite the bullet and go see your doctor pronto.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: short of breath - October 28th 2010, 02:00 PM

Hey there,

Obviously I know that you haven't been too active. Are you still going to physical therapy at all, or getting any other type of activity? I'd recommend starting with gently activity, rather than jumping into 15 mile runs each day! Push yourself a little more each day and see how this works for you. Other than that, I'd strongly recommend you see your doctor and ask what he has to recommend.

Marie.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: short of breath - October 28th 2010, 02:09 PM

Why do you have to even tell your mom?

Since you're 19, you can go to the doctors by yourself, no?

(My mom's a pain too, just in a different way. That's why I'm taking myself to the doctor's tomorrow because of my frequent nosebleeds.)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Re: short of breath - October 28th 2010, 03:24 PM

Rie- ya, i got started back on PT recently. And I have been trying to atleast walk a block or too.

myss- I would have to ask her because she would find out anyways, since I am on her insurance plan. And I feel bad because I have had soooo many medical issues within the past year.

"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

Closed Thread