TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Release9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Dizzy - November 5th 2010, 12:36 AM

Hi.
From the last year or so, whenever I stand up after 10 minutes, I get dizzy and feel like I'm going to faint...does anyone else have this? It's really hard for me to get up in the mornings because of this...
I can't go to the doctor, she's a personal friend of my mom's and my mom would just tell her I was lying. And I can't go to any doctors because I see about 6 different doctors and my parents yell at me after each one.
It takes a few seconds for it to pass...and it occurs everytime.
Anything anyone knows will be useful, please don't hesitate...
THANKS!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
bitchrepellent Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Josh!

Re: Dizzy - November 5th 2010, 01:07 AM

Hi there, I have had this problem.. but not as often it seems. Sometimes I stood up, and usually its because I stood up too quickly.. and I felt dizzy for a moment, I even fainted once! But it gradually passed and was only for a couple of weeks. I would see a doctor about it.. its not very healthy but by no means does it sound life threatening.. let me know how it goes

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Dizzy - November 5th 2010, 08:23 AM

It may be due to your diet if it's insufficient or if you have hypovolemia, anemia, electrolyte imbalance due to whatever of the many causes, cardiovascular problem, diabetes or simply get up slower. The name for it generally is postural hypotension, meaning abnormally low blood pressure that occurs right after changing your posture (i.e. standing). It's not something that's uncommon as it happens to healthy people but if it happens always then you may have hypotension or another disorder.

Although you're not a doctor, the easiest way to do it is to check your blood pressure. If you're too worried about asking doctors, then the best indication is to go to a pharmacy for something (i.e. candy bar) and use the free blood pressure machine. It's hypotension if it's low, such as at least 90 (sys)/60 (dia).

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Release9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Dizzy - November 5th 2010, 11:40 PM

Yeah...it's probably my diet (I am vegan but drink milk) and I have a low, borderline ferritin count. I was on iron pills for a while, and now I'm on stronger medication. This started this summer when I didn't take iron at all...I was probably anemic and lost 13 pounds.
About the blood pressure...I think I'll try that!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Evanescent Offline
Love Is The Movement
I've been here a while

Name: Nicole (Nikki)

Re: Dizzy - November 6th 2010, 12:36 AM

I have anemia and that happens to me when I stop taking my iron. Since you said you stopped taking your iron thats sounds like what it is probably from but just to be sure, even if your parents get mad when you go to a doctor, it would be for the best.

"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars."

"For those who don't care, for those who can't see, never give up, always thrive to be free."

Smile, you are beautiful www.operationbeautiful.com

Blessed Be!
Nicole AKA Nikki
Artist, Poet, and Future Social Worker

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Dizzy - November 6th 2010, 08:13 AM

A good way that would get your parent's attention would be to go to the doctor for your annual, bi-annual or just a regular check-up, or even to get a flu shot and from there begin explaining you're feeling dizzy, faint and may have hypotension. Ask for a basic blood and urine test so the doctor can see there are low levels. No sense in parents getting angry for you going for a flu shot.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Release9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Dizzy - November 6th 2010, 06:17 PM

Both my parents and all my doctors know I'm nearly anemic, though...so I'll have to wait until probably January or February...

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Dizzy - November 6th 2010, 06:24 PM

Hey there,

Why wait until January or February? If it's getting worse and effecting you, you really should get to your doctors as soon as possible and get some extra support!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Dizzy - November 7th 2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Release9 View Post
Both my parents and all my doctors know I'm nearly anemic, though...so I'll have to wait until probably January or February...
You don't need to wait until then. If they know you're anemic, then they should definitely be aware if you're experiencing hypotension and dizziness.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Release9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Dizzy - November 7th 2010, 06:53 PM

I know my parents won't care, though. And...to be honest my blood test for dermographism is in January, so I can get it tested then.
It costs a lot...and I have no money.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
abbya Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Abby

Re: Dizzy - November 14th 2010, 11:19 PM

Sounds like orthostatic hypotension. Try to get up slower and drink more water cause you can also get dizzy from being dehydrated. Also if you are anemic than there is one way to check that and that is from getting a blood test. So you should go to the doctor soon. And just so you know there is doctor patient confidentiality so the doctor can't say anything to your parents if you don't want them to. And also they have to listen to you and not what your parents are saying and science doesn't lie and can't be faked. So they should listen.

--
-Abby

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Release9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Dizzy - November 15th 2010, 03:01 AM

I don't know if that's possible, though...the doctor is my mom's personal friend.
So even if she says that she won't tell my parents, she might at a gathering.

Closed Thread