TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
LittleMiss Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
LittleMiss's Avatar
 
Name: Christine
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Australia

Posts: 988
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: June 29th 2009

Remedies for handling dust and pollen allergies? - November 8th 2010, 09:38 AM

Apart from the constant vacuuming.

I'm allergic to dust and every morning I wake up with a chest full of mucous and a blocked up nose.
I get frequent sinus headaches and in general, it's not pleasant.
Anyone know any good remedies?

I also get terrible hayfever caused by pollens and grasses.

I have tried over 10 different antihistamines that do not work. The only one that works makes me so drowsy that I need to sleep for over 6 hours after taking it and makes me groggy for 12-18 hours after that.

Also, do I have a right to tell my next door neighbour to mow his lawn?
He lets it grow about 1 meter every year before he cuts it and it goes to seed before that which causes a lot of discomfort for my whole family.


Happy to talk about anything and everything.
Send me a message any time, my proverbial door is open

Laughter is the best medicine
Q: What's the difference between a surgeon and God?
A: God doesn't think he's a surgeon.

   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
BanksyRat Offline
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
BanksyRat's Avatar
 
Age: 28
Gender: Female

Posts: 80
Join Date: October 27th 2010

Re: Remedies for handling dust and pollen allergies? - November 9th 2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMiss View Post
Apart from the constant vacuuming.

I'm allergic to dust and every morning I wake up with a chest full of mucous and a blocked up nose.
I get frequent sinus headaches and in general, it's not pleasant.
Anyone know any good remedies?

I also get terrible hayfever caused by pollens and grasses.

I have tried over 10 different antihistamines that do not work. The only one that works makes me so drowsy that I need to sleep for over 6 hours after taking it and makes me groggy for 12-18 hours after that.

Also, do I have a right to tell my next door neighbour to mow his lawn?
He lets it grow about 1 meter every year before he cuts it and it goes to seed before that which causes a lot of discomfort for my whole family.

"Constant vacuuming" suggests the vac's in-built dust/pollen filter needs replacing. Or maybe it can washed, dried and put back.

Apart from your really needing to see a doctor, for temporary relief try deep inhalations of Olbus Oil - freely available over the counter at most pharmacists - a few drops in a heatproof bowl of hot water. Place towel over your head and breathe in. Olbus Oil contains eucalyptus and is very soothing.

I don't know the laws of your country, but your neighbour generally has his rights to keep his lawn whatever height he wishes it to be. Most pollen comes from airborne particals carried on the wind from miles away.

Do be careful with meds that make you feel groggy. Never drive while using them
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
LittleMiss Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
LittleMiss's Avatar
 
Name: Christine
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Australia

Posts: 988
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: June 29th 2009

Re: Remedies for handling dust and pollen allergies? - November 10th 2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanksyRat View Post


"Constant vacuuming" suggests the vac's in-built dust/pollen filter needs replacing. Or maybe it can washed, dried and put back.

Apart from your really needing to see a doctor, for temporary relief try deep inhalations of Olbus Oil - freely available over the counter at most pharmacists - a few drops in a heatproof bowl of hot water. Place towel over your head and breathe in. Olbus Oil contains eucalyptus and is very soothing.

I don't know the laws of your country, but your neighbour generally has his rights to keep his lawn whatever height he wishes it to be. Most pollen comes from airborne particals carried on the wind from miles away.

Do be careful with meds that make you feel groggy. Never drive while using them
We have a ducted vacuuming system that picks up everything.
I said that so that everyone wouldn't just tell me to vacuum more.

I have been to the doctor and so has the rest of my family, she has suggested many different medications (Antihistamines) and none are very effective.

Hmm, I guess I could just put vicks on my chest, That's eucalyptus.

We're allergic to grasses as well as pollens
Mostly grasses. I used to have to stay inside for some PE classes where you had to sit or lie in grass because I'd get a really bad rash.

I don't usually take the meds because I hate that sleepy feeling and I can't study with it. I've only really taken them 2-3 times ever because the effects are worse than chronic fatigue.

Thanks for the tip though


Happy to talk about anything and everything.
Send me a message any time, my proverbial door is open

Laughter is the best medicine
Q: What's the difference between a surgeon and God?
A: God doesn't think he's a surgeon.

   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
BanksyRat Offline
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
BanksyRat's Avatar
 
Age: 28
Gender: Female

Posts: 80
Join Date: October 27th 2010

Re: Remedies for handling dust and pollen allergies? - November 10th 2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMiss View Post
We have a ducted vacuuming system that picks up everything.
I said that so that everyone wouldn't just tell me to vacuum more.

I have been to the doctor and so has the rest of my family, she has suggested many different medications (Antihistamines) and none are very effective.

Hmm, I guess I could just put vicks on my chest, That's eucalyptus.

We're allergic to grasses as well as pollens
Mostly grasses. I used to have to stay inside for some PE classes where you had to sit or lie in grass because I'd get a really bad rash.

I don't usually take the meds because I hate that sleepy feeling and I can't study with it. I've only really taken them 2-3 times ever because the effects are worse than chronic fatigue.

Thanks for the tip though

The only other option is to consult another doctor for a second opinion. You own won't mind your asking another because it's pretty regular.

You should ask to be referred to an allergy specialist doctor. General practitioners sometimes develop a special interest in the subject and set up an allergy clinic in their practice, but if your GP doesn't have such, they can always refer you to another clinic.

It's worth it. And don't be fobbed off, you have a right to get treatment.
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
allergies, dust, handling, pollen, remedies

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright 1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.