TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Saphire Offline
♥♥♥
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Saphire

Ways to get fit at home. - November 23rd 2010, 06:37 PM

Feel free to move this if it's in the wrong place..

Although I'm not fat, I really want to lose a bit of weight at the moment, and I'm hopeless at sticking to diets and pretty bad at eating healthy.

Thing is, I don't want to have to spend money to go to the gym or to go to classes, and it's getting darker earlier so it's hard to go for runs.

So, I'm looking for things that I could do whilst in my house. I do sit ups every night to tone my abs, but that's about it.

Thanks in advance

Saphire

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Re: Ways to get fit at home. - November 23rd 2010, 06:50 PM

Sit ups are good with practice they will be really easy and something you can get into a routine of doing a couple of times a day. Nowhere near as expensive as the gym!

There are also press-ups and leg stretches (which are as literal as they sound). They tone your body and if you do them regularly they will help you lose a healthy bit of weight.

Then there's the Wii Fit if you've got one... I wouldn't invest in a Wii just for exercise but it's certainly a fun way to exercise

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: Ways to get fit at home. - November 23rd 2010, 07:48 PM

Well, there's a few things you'll need to consider. It sounds like your main goal is weight loss. In that case, you'll want a good balance of resistance exercises and cardio.

One thing I'd like to clear up before we go any farther though is that 'spot reduction' is a myth. That means sit ups don't make your belly fat go away, leg raises don't make fat in your thighs go away, etc. Any type of exercise will make you lose fat throughout your entire body, but there is no way to make it disappear from just one area using a specific exercise.

That's not to say that those exercises have no use though. In fact, resistance exercises (such as sit ups, push ups, weight lifting, etc) are an extremely important part of any weightloss plan. They don't burn a huge amount of calories, but they do build muscle which boosts your metabolism and makes your body burn more in every activity you do. It's important to let your body rest between exercises though, so if you do resistance exercises one day, take the next off. The reason for this is that you actually create microscopic tears in your muscles when you work out. Taking a rest day allows them time to repair themselves and actually come back stronger than before. If you want a good simple beginner plan for bodyweight resistance exercises, have a look at http://hundredpushups.com, http://www.twohundredsitups.com, and http://www.twohundredsquats.com

The other half of weight loss is cardio. This is things like running, biking, swimming, etc. I personally like to run, but there are bunches of options. You did mention that you can't get outside, which makes things a bit harder. Just try to do something that consistently raises your heart rate and wears you out for a period of time.

Also, make sure you take at least a day off every week. What I like to do is do bodyweight resistance exercises on Monday, Wednesday, and Tuesday; Run on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday; Then take a rest day on Sunday. Just make sure you don't everwork yourself and give your body time to heal in between workouts.

Finally, make sure you are eating enough. Your body actually needs food to lose weight, if you try to starve it, you will most likely gain weight in the long run. You don't need to make any special effort to eat more or less, just make sure you always eat when you're hungry. As long as you are somewhat reasonable about portion sizes and what not, you'll lose weight and be happier and healthier in no time.

Good luck! Feel free to PM me if there's anything else i can help you with.

~Cody

Normal User

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Ways to get fit at home. - November 23rd 2010, 08:05 PM

SEX!

Apparently it burns a lot of calories D=

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Saphire Offline
♥♥♥
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Ways to get fit at home. - November 23rd 2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.14159265358979323846264 View Post
SEX!

Apparently it burns a lot of calories D=

Haa I wish, but unfortunately I have no boyfriend at the moment..

Saphire

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Saphire Offline
♥♥♥
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Ways to get fit at home. - November 23rd 2010, 08:29 PM

Oh and thanks for the advice guys

Saphire

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Re: Ways to get fit at home. - November 23rd 2010, 10:00 PM

Ooh I've remembered something else. Dancing! Just put some music on and dance around your room. It's exercise and it's fun lol

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Frosty Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Ways to get fit at home. - November 23rd 2010, 10:12 PM

Get a skipping rope for cardio?

Though losing weight is mostly a function of diet.

Also, with all the talk about pushups, unless you're doing some sort of upper body pull like pullups or inverted rows, all that pushing is going to be hell on your shoulder girdle.

Closed Thread