TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
SomebodyYouDon'tKnow's Avatar
 

Posts: 78
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: September 2nd 2010

Few Questions About Losing Weight - December 23rd 2010, 02:54 AM

Hmm, so I've been on a bit of a quest to lose weight, as you might have read before. This quest started quite a while ago though. I'm not even really sure I've made any progress though; I can't tell by looking at myself if I've lost anything (in which case, I probably haven't, if it's not noticeable). And like some others at this site told me, I stopped looking at the scale (you guys were right :P). I keep gaining weight on the scale, and I figure that it's the leg muscles I'm gaining from therapy (I swear my legs are like twice the size they used to be in pure muscle; I love it!)

Well first up, I hear about how losing weight is "just leaving out some calories". I don't believe that though. By that logic I could eat junk food, as long as I keep under 2000 calories (or ideally 1500 to lose weight). That doesn't make any sense to me though. Junk foods are full of sugars and fats, how is that possible? Surely that's not possible?

Also, is it possible to lose just by dieting and not worrying about exercise? I mean, I've refined my diet a hell of a lot. I've been eating mostly healthy, usually keeping under 1500 calories, eating a hell of a lot more fruits and vegetables, not eating when I'm not hungry, the list goes on. But yet I'm still not really seeing a difference :/ I even did have a bit of exercise before (about 20 minutes of walking home, with a heavy backpack almost everyday). So I'm kinda confused as to why nothing seems to be happening. Oh gee, I've sort of strayed from the topic of this paragraph, haven't I?

I don't know, I'm wondering if it's not working because I'm not that overweight? I mean, I got quite a bit of pudge, but I'm not even considered overweight on the BMI calculator (but ironically, on the body fat calculator, I'm considered obese -.-). Is this maybe why it's not working? Do I need to exercise more? I'm hoping I don't, because quite frankly, I hate most forms of exercise.

Blah, I don't know, this is kind of like a half rant half question topic. I want to do this the healthy way, I guess I'm just kind of tired of remembering how much skinnier I was a year or two ago. Maybe my sleep is a factor, ever since school started my sleep has been really messed up. I've been not feeling tired a lot of the times. But the weird thing is that I've also felt extremely happy since school started... I don't see why being happy would make me lose so much sleep. It's all so confusing :/
   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Yours Truly Offline
Ashley<3(:
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Yours Truly's Avatar
 
Name: Ashley
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: Ohio, USA

Posts: 388
Blog Entries: 8
Join Date: July 21st 2010

Re: Few Questions About Losing Weight - December 23rd 2010, 03:01 AM

Sleep most definatley could be a part of it. And exersize is a very important factor in losing weight.

I struggle with insulin resistance. No matter how healthy I eat and how much I exersize, its still a battle to even lose a pound. I know how hard looking in the mirror and not seeing a difference is, Its terrible. /:

Conrats on eathing healthy. Thats the hard part for most people! Keep it up, and remember to watch your portion sizes too.

Anything is fine in moderation. <--- keep that in your mind. you dont have to totally deprive yourself of that scoop of icecream or potato chips.

Learn to read labels and most fast food websites have nutrition facts on them, which could help you chooose healthier foods on the go.

Hating most forms of exersize... I couldnt relate more. Thats how I am. However, I recnetly tried out kick boxing.. I love it. It helps me get out anger and exersize all at once. (:

Do you drive? or if you dont, whenever you go to a store, have whoever your with park farther away, you get some exerisze in walking through parking lots. small things like that really do add up.

If theres anything else you need advice on, or want elaborated, feel free to VM/PM me. id be glad to help. (:


"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle." <3


Feel free to PM/VM me if you ever need someone to talk to, or just want someone to listen. I'm also always up for making new friends.
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Frosty Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Frosty's Avatar
 
Age: 28

Posts: 790
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Few Questions About Losing Weight - December 23rd 2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyYouDon'tKnow View Post
And like some others at this site told me, I stopped looking at the scale (you guys were right :P).
I wouldn't quite go that far. Yes it's important to keep in mind that what you're after is a loss of fat, not a reduction in some arbitrary number on the scale, but seeing as you're a) a female and b) presumably not on some intense weight training regeime it's probably a good idea to keep atleast one eye on that scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyYouDon'tKnow View Post
Well first up, I hear about how losing weight is "just leaving out some calories". I don't believe that though. By that logic I could eat junk food, as long as I keep under 2000 calories (or ideally 1500 to lose weight). That doesn't make any sense to me though. Junk foods are full of sugars and fats, how is that possible? Surely that's not possible?
Of course it's possible, it's just ill-advised seeing as unhealthy foods are typically dense in calories (making it very hard to get that all important calorie deficit for weightloss) and sparse in nutritional value (a problem made even worse with the reduced amounts of food you'll be eating to lose weight).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyYouDon'tKnow View Post
Also, is it possible to lose just by dieting and not worrying about exercise?
Yes, but that doesn't mean neglecting exercise is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyellen1637 View Post
I struggle with insulin resistance. No matter how healthy I eat and how much I exersize, its still a battle to even lose a pound. I know how hard looking in the mirror and not seeing a difference is, Its terrible. /:
Have you tried going low carb or even trying a keto diet? This should definately improve your insulin sensitivity, and studies have shown very significant improvements in weight loss amongst insulin-resistant individuals when on a low carb diet as opposed to a non low carb diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyellen1637 View Post
Anything is fine in moderation. <--- keep that in your mind. you dont have to totally deprive yourself of that scoop of icecream or potato chips.
You don't have to be a total nazi, but it is worth noting that totally going off certain foods can often eliminate cravings for them, which is certainly a hell of a lot easier than eating just enough to keep the cravings, but still teasing yourself with unsatisfactory servings. Just from personal experience, after cutting out grains from my diet, I barely see grain products as food anymore, let alone something to crave like I used to.
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
SomebodyYouDon'tKnow's Avatar
 

Posts: 78
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: September 2nd 2010

Re: Few Questions About Losing Weight - December 23rd 2010, 04:06 PM

Well, food isn't really a problem at all anymore. Ever since I've started eating healthy I simply don't crave junk, and barely ever eat it. Furthermore, I eat a lot less in general. Once you start listening to your body, you realize that you need a lot less food than you thought.

I'm more concerned about the exercise... I guess my walk home, in theory, is enough, but it's been what, like a month now? Maybe more? I'm still not seeing results :/ And with the Christmas holidays, I'm worried too because I don't get out of the house much. I generally don't like doing exercise alone, but if I hang out with my friends it'll be even worse since they don't do much, and often eat junk. The cold makes it hard to go for walks too (and even when I can walk, walking isn't very strenous). I guess only super healthy eating will save me for now.
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Frosty Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Frosty's Avatar
 
Age: 28

Posts: 790
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Few Questions About Losing Weight - December 24th 2010, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyYouDon'tKnow View Post
Well, food isn't really a problem at all anymore. Ever since I've started eating healthy I simply don't crave junk, and barely ever eat it. Furthermore, I eat a lot less in general. Once you start listening to your body, you realize that you need a lot less food than you thought.
Just wondering, what does "eating healthy" entail for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyYouDon'tKnow View Post
I'm more concerned about the exercise... I guess my walk home, in theory, is enough, but it's been what, like a month now? Maybe more? I'm still not seeing results :/ And with the Christmas holidays, I'm worried too because I don't get out of the house much. I generally don't like doing exercise alone, but if I hang out with my friends it'll be even worse since they don't do much, and often eat junk. The cold makes it hard to go for walks too (and even when I can walk, walking isn't very strenous). I guess only super healthy eating will save me for now.
Is it possible for you to get access to a gym?
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
losing, questions, weight

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright 1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.