TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Sex and Puberty (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f6-sex-puberty/)
-   -   Female Advice Preferred: Urine sample while on period? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f6-sex-puberty/t71257-urine-sample-while-period/)

facade April 7th 2011 04:39 AM

Urine sample while on period?

So, tomorrow morning I have to give a urine sample (it's just for a routine check up, part of my physical and all that stuff). But, I started my period today. Is it still okay for me to give a urine sample? I looked online and I got different answers... Yes, no, use a tampon...

And a few people in Chat said I still can, just tell them ahead of time. Just wanted to get some more opinions though.
- Do you still think it's okay to give a urine sample?
- Have you done give a urine example while on your period (the beginning of your period)?

EDIT: random side note! - ohmygosh, now all of TH knows I'm on my period D:

Algernon April 7th 2011 05:04 AM

Re: Urine sample while on period?

As a lab assistant, yes. It's okay for you to give a urine sample on your period. You need to tell the person giving you the cup though because they have to mark it. It can effect some tests but if It's marked then results will be positive.

Gingerbread Latte April 7th 2011 12:23 PM

I'd say you're fine as long as you tell them :)

Like Holly said, it can affect some test results and you don't want to be told you've got something wrong with you if it's just your period causing the result.

Take care!

LittleMiss April 7th 2011 02:27 PM

It should be okay, as people have said, tell your doctor.

wearing a tampon may help as long as you hold the string out of your urine stream.

I was on the end of my period once when I got a urine test and she did actually have to ditch it as it was a protein test and the blood screwed it up.
She gave me a cup to take home but only to use it if I didn't get better.

I hope your test goes okay :)

*CatchingStars* April 7th 2011 02:33 PM

XD amiko just tell the doctor and everthing will be fine and yus now we all know heheh jk XD

Melody Pond April 7th 2011 03:09 PM

Yeah every time I have had to give a urine sample they have asked if I am on my period and then they mark it. This way if the find any blood in your urine they will know that it is your period and not a kidney infection.

Simplyme7 April 7th 2011 03:28 PM

I've had to give a urine sample while I was just starting my period. It's never mattered for me. They just ask if you are, and you tell them yes. Most of the time I don't think it matters. At least it never has for me.

Pianissimo April 8th 2011 12:20 AM

Yeah, I've done it once, but I would advise telling the doctor first otherwise they'll call you a few days later wondering why there's blood in the urine. xD

Eternal April 8th 2011 02:20 AM

My friend said that she didn't have to since she was on her period but I guess it all depends.
Just let the doctor know when you go and wear a tampon :)

Gingerbread Latte April 11th 2011 01:02 PM

Since your question's been answered and I'm assuming you've now finished the appointment I'll go ahead and close this :)

PM me if you'd like it back open.