TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pregnancy and Childcare If you're pregnant, a young parent, or have questions related to either, ask them here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ac2 Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 11,965, Level: 15 Points: 11,965, Level: 15 Points: 11,965, Level: 15

People keep asking me if I am pregnant - July 4th 2011, 11:42 PM

I've had body image issues for a long time so this has hit me really hard. The past 3 months I haven't gained any weight, I've been doing crunches and sit ups, I've not changed at all and all of a sudden a lot of customers at work are asking me if I'm pregnant. I'm talking like 6 customers in the past few months. I've only ever been asked once if I was pregnant out of work but to be fair my dress made me look about 9 months gone. However, usually it's just been at work.
I am really curvy, I have big boobs and a big bum and I have thighs. I'm a woman, not a stick, and I know that's how I'd rather be.

Beyonce and Rihanna have got real thighs and bums and they have gorgeous figures and although I don't love my figure I don't mind my curves. I do have a flat stomach though. I always have had a flat stomach. It's toned and I don't think it looks bad at all. But when they tell me they think I look pregnant I was really, really upset. I always just say "no I'm not" and smile but it's starting to make me hate coming to work. I really don't know what to do anymore. I started wearing a baggy uniform top but that seems to have made things worse. My work clothes are not flattering at all and I told my boss it was hurting me so she said she'd order me a blouse but she gets so busy and there's only one day for placing uniform orders and they take weeks to arrive. I just don't know what to do. It's making me really upset. Can anybody give me any help with this?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Points: 18,257, Level: 19 Points: 18,257, Level: 19 Points: 18,257, Level: 19

Re: People keep asking me if I am pregnant - July 5th 2011, 06:53 AM

Honestly, some people are just really uneducated. Personally, I have no idea how someone can't tell the difference between pregnant and not pregnant. There is a massive difference between being curvy and being pregnant. But apart from that, it's just rude to ask someone if they are pregnant, especially when you don't know them personally. I'm really sorry that you have to deal with such rude people.

Unfortunately, unless you can change your work clothes, there might not be much that you can do about it. You say that it could take weeks for new clothes to arrive, but could you wear a basic black top (or similar) to work instead? Or is there a possibility that there is a different reason for them asking if you are pregnant? Like you've recently been married and they're just assuming that you'll have kids straight away or something?

Apart from that, you need to just ignore them or come up with a witty comeback. Like you said, there is nothing wrong with your body or how you look. Keep reminding yourself that there are plenty of healthy, curvy women who are gorgeous and that you are one of them. Your customers are definitely the ones with the problem.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: People keep asking me if I am pregnant - July 5th 2011, 07:04 AM

If you're wearing a baggy shirt that "puffs" out, it may look like you have a bigger belly. Alternatively, if the shirt looks unusually large or unfitting, it may look like you're struggling to find a big enough shirt despite not being huge. In both cases, pregnancy is a possible reason that comes to mind, however, I don't go up asking women if they're pregnant anymore. I did that a few times and almost each time I was wrong so I received a glare and tried to make a brief exiting conversation.

If you wear something that is not so baggy or doesn't look like a "pregnancy shirt", people probably will lay off asking you.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
Closed Thread