TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Troubled_Heart Offline
Used to be Ianto Jones
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Melissa
Location: The room where it's red and black and evil people walk around pointing and laughing at you

Thumbs down In Growing Toe Nail? - September 8th 2011, 07:44 PM

Well I'm not sure but I think I have the beginnings of an in-growing toe nail... I have a doctors appointment on monday, luckily I have to go reguarly because of a toe nail infection but I'm really freaked.

If it is in in-growing toe nail, what's going to happen? Like I know if it gets real bad you have to get the nail removed with a jab :O And I'm terrified of jabs and reacto so bad the point of not being allowed like half of them...

If it's only just in will they be able to do something without a jab? And if it isn't an in-growing toe nail, what is it? The top right hand corner of my left foot big toe hurts so bad, especially when touched. This is the same toe in which I have the infection!
Sorry for being fo pathetic... It's just I'm so scared...
Xxx

When life gives you one thousand reasons to cry, show life one million reasons to SMILE!

Send a message via MSN to Troubled_Heart Send a message via Yahoo to Troubled_Heart  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: In Growing Toe Nail? - September 8th 2011, 09:22 PM

Ingrown toe nails are really painful! I often find when I get one if its nipped in the bud quick enough, no jab is needed it will just sort of be got out somehow, Though that being said, I have never been to the Dr's for an ingrown toe nail.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: In Growing Toe Nail? - September 9th 2011, 05:59 AM

Ingrown nails get removed. The severity of it will determine how your doctor handles it. My dad's toe was ingrown, but it was farther along, so he had to have it surgically removed. Whereas I had an ingrown fingernail & all the doctor did was cut some of the bad skin off & cut the nail back. It's really nothing to worry about. Yes, there was some jabbing that hurt a bit during, but it felt sooo much better afterwards. Totally worth it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: In Growing Toe Nail? - September 9th 2011, 05:28 PM

I had the same experience as Barbara. Mine was just starting and the doctor just cut some of the bad/dead skin and then cut the toenail.

If it is so painful that your doctor cannot even touch your toenail, they will likely give you numbing medicine (which hurts for a couple seconds while the medicine is going in). And since yours is infected, they will probably give you antibiotics.

This probably will likely occur unless you take the right precautions to prevent it. This site helped me a lot and it provides great prevention methods.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: In Growing Toe Nail? - September 9th 2011, 06:52 PM

Ouchies!

Treatment depends on how bad it is, yours sounds like it's minor (although it's truly amazing ho painful 'Minor' can be!), so I doubt it'll be anything major (or majorly painful). The condition itself is no doubt more painful then the treatment.

The doc will most likely trim the edge of the nail that is growing into the flesh (it actually is just 'pressing', growing sounds scarier than it is), and often, then will put a veeeery small piece of twisted cotton under the edge of the nail to keep it growing up and out, avoiding contact with the side of your toe. But, maybe not, maybe he'll just need to trim the nail and be done!

In any event, local anesthetics may be used if it's really painful, speak up!

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
LittleMiss Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Christine

Re: In Growing Toe Nail? - September 14th 2011, 06:00 AM

Personally I'd recommend seeing a podiatrist if it's a recurrent problem, they are the experts.
I had a lot of problems with ingrowns due to my nails shape and my pod just cut the nail down to allow my toe to heal while the nail grew back.
I was told that if it happens repeatedly I should look into surgery to make the nail narrower but that's a last resort.
You can also try using a plaster to pull back the flesh on the sore side to relieve the pressure and aid healing.

Happy to talk about anything and everything.
Send me a message any time, my proverbial door is open

Laughter is the best medicine
Q: What's the difference between a surgeon and God?
A: God doesn't think he's a surgeon.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Bubbly751 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: In Growing Toe Nail? - September 16th 2011, 01:40 PM

Everyone in my family gets them frequently. The good thing is you get it cut out by your doctor it shouldnt happen again. Dont try to do it yourself. I personally couldnt stand the thougt of going to the doctor so i just cut, and pull them out my self and got them infected a couple times, so bad i had to go on antibiotics.

Feel free to PM or VM me

Sh free since 7/10/16

I've been here for 3 years and counting!!

Closed Thread