TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Weight problem - September 15th 2011, 01:25 AM

This thread has been labeled as non-PG13 by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for younger users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I posted a while ago that I'd gained weight, despite eating healthy and exercising etc.

I eventually stuck at a certain weight, over what I'd like but stable. Recently I've started gaining weight again, but I'm eating around [Edit] calories a day and exercising (doctors recommendation to lose weight healthily). I'm almost overweight now and I don't understand it, neither does the doctor but he won't help me further than saying to eat [Edit] cals and exercise ...

I'm pretty sure I'm not pregnant - I'm on the pill and haven't forgotten it in around 6 months. I had sex without a condom about a month and a half ago, but he didn't "finish" in me. No symptoms oof pregnancy either, so I can be maybe 90% sure ...

Any ideas how I can lose the weight or at least stop gaining? I'm incredibly self-concious at the best of times and this is making me really depressed and insecure. I know worrying about weight might be vain or whatever, but being slim has always been the one thing that makes me feel more secure about my looks :/ please don't just say not to worry about how I look, I can't not - I've spent my whole life trying not to.

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

Last edited by Gingerbread Latte; September 15th 2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Calorie numbers aren't allowed

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Paix et Amour Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: Weight problem - September 15th 2011, 07:08 AM

is it possible you could have a thyroid problem? you should get a blood test. i gained a ton of weight in just 4 years, around double what i was when i was ten, and now am considered obese. i took a blood test because my health is getting worse and worse, and it turns out i have a thyroid problem making me gain. i still domt know everything (the dr appointment is on the 20th) or i would tell you more, but that could be it, and a medication is an easy fix for it, so its nothing too severe if thats why. you should ask your doctor
  Send a message via MSN to Paix et Amour Send a message via Skype™ to Paix et Amour 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Weight problem - September 15th 2011, 04:24 PM

I've had the same issue this year. From what I gather, you should eat a lot of protein, less carbs, and less dairy.

My doctor put me on a protein-only diet, which was the hardest thing I ever did and it didn't pay off. So I researched and found that protein will make you feel fuller and longer than carbs will. Carbs generally make you hungrier/addicted to that food. So eat less carbs and more protein, such as eggs.

Also, sweet potatoes can make you feel fuller after a few bites. So maybe sticking to a protein (eggs, or chicken, salmon, pork, etc) diet with some choices of vegetables (not corn, green beans, or avocados) unless in very small amounts can help.

Also, fruit is fine as long as you don't eat a bunch.

This could be a thyroid issue, or perhaps you are overeating without realizing it, or just eating the wrong things. If you are eating right and the right things, exercising, and watching calories, then I would say this has to be something medically wrong that your doctor is not catching. Feel free to PM with any questions.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ambitiousxx Offline
Stay Strong.<3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ashley

Re: Weight problem - September 15th 2011, 07:48 PM

Been there. Done that. Maybe ask for a referral to an endocrinologist? The number of callories were edited out so I couldn't see those, but I'm assuming its not too many.. It could be a thyroid problem, or a whole list of other things that can be fixed or leveled out with medication. Or maybe there is nothing wrong and you're just snacking too much or your body doesnt agree with the calories.. If you eat too little, you can actually gain weight. If you eat too much you can gain weight. Its a balancing act. It's tricky. I've been battling it my whole life.

A poster before me mentioned high protein low carb, which honestly works.. Protein sticks with you longer. Dont have a lot of fried or breaded foods,. grilled chicken, eggs, low fat cheese, vegetables (not starchy ones like corn and potatoes, but green veggies like green beans, salad, broccoli, etc..) are all great.. Get about 64+oz of water or low sugar/sugar free fluids (crystal light is my faavorite. propel zero, gatorate G2, etc.. work too.) they help wash out your system, and a lot of times if yout hink your hungry, you're actually thirsty. most people don't drink ennough.

So try to aim for high protein low carb, lots of fluids, and exersize 30+mins a day a few days a week.. If that doesnt work then it most definatley could be a thyroid problem, or somthing else that could probably be found with blood work. (or if you're on any medications right now, check side effects.. ask your doctor if its possible that any of them are causing the weight gain. I know a lot of birth controlls do. and some anti depressants.)

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions or anything feel free to mesage me. (:

Demi Lovato saved my life.<3

-----------------------------------------------------

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle."

~

"The greatest pleasure in life, is doing what people say you cannot do."

------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to PM me if you ever need advice, want to talk about somthing, or just need a friend. I'll be there for you. (:

<3

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Weight problem - September 15th 2011, 09:27 PM

Thanks guys! I'm at a catered college at the moment so it's hard controlling what I eat. I try and stick to a chicken or fish dish for dinner, with salad. For lunch I do the same if I'm at home, if I've taken a packed lunch I take salad and chicken and make a wrap. I tend to snack on fruit or wholegrain rye crackers ... I guess the crackers aren't great then?
I didn't realise calories weren't allowed seeing as it's not really personal info but oh well ... yes it a fair bit lower than the average recommended, taking into account the fact I'm a fair bit shorter than the average and the exercise I do etc.
I was tested for thyroid problems about a year ago, not for similar reasons - they just tested for everything, is it something that can develop?
Are there "better" exercises to do? At the moment I skip daily, which again was recommended, do yoga/pilates a few times a week and I walk pretty far to work 4/5 days a week. When I can get to the gym I do cardio stuff rather than weights ... I want to start swimming but the pool near here got flooded and still isn't open

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Re: Weight problem - September 15th 2011, 10:06 PM

Regarding calories - it is against the rules because some people could find it triggering. No big deal since you didn't know.

As for thyroid, this can develop. Sometimes you can have thyroid issues more than once, sometimes all your life, it just depends on the progress.

Waling is good, but it's not going to really do much. You should be doing cardio exercises which get your heart rate up for at least 20minutes at a time. Running, riding bike, ice skating, roller blading, skipping could work too.

Pilates is good too, but not really for losing weight or heart rate. Focus on getting your heart rate up, generally around 150-200 bpm (beats per minute). Originally your heart rate should be very low. You want to get it close to 200, but not over. 200+ means your heart is struggling.

I generally try for around 190, then when it gets to 199 I do a cool down session.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Ambitiousxx Offline
Stay Strong.<3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ashley

Re: Weight problem - September 16th 2011, 05:08 AM

The crackers arent bad. if you keep it under a certain amount of callories/carbs a day you shouldnt have a problem. if you want you could google adtkins diet or lowcarb diet guidlines and see what pops up since i cant post the numbers here.

But yeah thyroid is somthing that can develop over time. i actually have hypothyroidism. and i have been tested for it two to three times a year my whole life cause i'm kinda prone to it, and sure enough, it developed just a few months ago. so its definatley somthing you could look into.

Demi Lovato saved my life.<3

-----------------------------------------------------

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle."

~

"The greatest pleasure in life, is doing what people say you cannot do."

------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to PM me if you ever need advice, want to talk about somthing, or just need a friend. I'll be there for you. (:

<3

(#8 (permalink)) Old
LittleMiss Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Christine

Re: Weight problem - September 16th 2011, 08:07 AM

I can relate to that, I also live in a catered college.

Just try to avoid the fattier, carb-heavy meals and do plenty of exercise, that's all I can suggest that hasn't already been said.

Happy to talk about anything and everything.
Send me a message any time, my proverbial door is open

Laughter is the best medicine
Q: What's the difference between a surgeon and God?
A: God doesn't think he's a surgeon.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Weight problem - September 16th 2011, 09:03 PM

Thanks guys, I'll try and push my doc here for more tests, he's not too keen to do them though. Might have to wait a few months until I'm back on UK soill with the wonderful NHS :/
Kelly, I'll have a go at some of those. I tend to do yoga etc because otherwise my muscles get very sore with exercise, even if I stretch. About heart rate, should I go higher if my HR is originally higher. I've had tests done and my heart naturally beats 10-20 more than average, even when resting. Should I try and push 210 because of that?

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Re: Weight problem - September 16th 2011, 09:10 PM

I don't think you should go higher. Really, as long as you get up in the mid 100s it is fine. I just remember in P.E. in school they told us 200 is when you need to cool down, because 225 or so is too much stress on your heart. Just as long as you get it going faster than your normal at rest HR it should help. Most exercise machines have HR monitors. You can also buy them, but they can be expensive.

Here are a couple sites to give you general ideas of what your ideal heart rate should be while exercising.
http://www.medicinenet.com/exercise/page4.htm - This one you calculate your specific needs by doing some math.
http://exercise.bizcalcs.com/Calcula...get-Heart-Rate This one is a general guide and depending on your goal it changes. Which using your age and target - lose weight - it says 120-140 is ideal, and max would be 200.

Hope this helps

Closed Thread