TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Weird blood test results - September 18th 2011, 12:51 AM

I've posted before about my Thrombocytosis (high blood platelet count) that we found out over a year ago. But just over a year ago the insurance lapsed and we couldn't afford to do anything further about it. Well we have finally paid off the bills and got more tests to see if I still had it, I do and other fun stuff as well, although I am no longer pre-diabetic which is good. But here are all the high results and I had one low result.

High WBC (white blood cells) [Leukocytosis]- Normal is 4.0-9.1 Mine is 9.4
High Platelets [Thrombocytosis]- Normal is 150-349 Mine is 438
High Absolute Monocytes- Normal is 0.1-0.7 Mine is 0.8
Low Total Carbon Dioxide- Normal is 20-32 Mine is 18
High Hemoglobin A1c- Normal is 4.8-5.6 Mine is 6.1

So yeah, basically I'm weird from the inside out. I get to go see a pediatric hematologist to try to figure all of this stuff out.

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Weird blood test results - September 18th 2011, 01:56 AM

The only one I recognize is the A1C which I know is related to diabetes, even if you aren't pre diabetic anymore it still might be high. The white blood cells are only slightly high which could mean you're starting to get sick maybe? Other than that I have no idea. Good luck with the hemotologist.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Weird blood test results - September 18th 2011, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leochick123 View Post
High WBC (white blood cells) [Leukocytosis]- Normal is 4.0-9.1 Mine is 9.4
High Platelets [Thrombocytosis]- Normal is 150-349 Mine is 438
High Absolute Monocytes- Normal is 0.1-0.7 Mine is 0.8
Low Total Carbon Dioxide- Normal is 20-32 Mine is 18
High Hemoglobin A1c- Normal is 4.8-5.6 Mine is 6.1
These results on their cannot point to a particular diagnosis as there are several causes, however, they mostly all involve the immune system. I say this because whenever monocytes and white blood cells are elevated, it's generally a sign of an infection recognized by the body. This requires investigation of your organs, particularly the spleen and thymus (not to be confused with the thyroid gland). Both of these organs function in maintaining and producing cells for the immune system. However, another reason for checking your organs and a wider examination is due to the low total carbon dioxide count. CO2 functions with bicarbonate (HCO3-) in your blood to maintain the body's pH. When it is too low (hypocapnia is the fancy word), your blood pH becomes more acidic, which is very dangerous because it results in contraction of blood vessels, especially those supporting your brain. Also, when contracted, less "things" in the blood can be transported together. This can have particular effects when taking medication. In a more technical pharmokinetic term, it can alter the apparent volume of distribution (Vd), which requires your doctor to be more careful when calculating dosages of medication for you.

A1C is a bit of a different story as it is the average blood sugar over a long time, at least a month or two. However, the A1C value is meaningless if it is taken from a person who recently had surgery, gave a generous blood donation, or has liver or kidney disease. An additional situation may be one that you could fall under: erythropoietin. It is a natural hormone in your body that is meant to regulate red blood cells but in thrombocytosis, there are altered levels of erythropoietin, or appropriate levels but for some reason its effects are negated. In other words, the A1C level should be taken with skepticism.

As I said though, the results of the blood test are useful in indicating there is an infection, although it cannot point to which one. More data needs to be obtained, which I'm sure the hematologlist will try to obtain.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Re: Weird blood test results - September 18th 2011, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
These results on their cannot point to a particular diagnosis as there are several causes, however, they mostly all involve the immune system. I say this because whenever monocytes and white blood cells are elevated, it's generally a sign of an infection recognized by the body. This requires investigation of your organs, particularly the spleen and thymus (not to be confused with the thyroid gland). Both of these organs function in maintaining and producing cells for the immune system. However, another reason for checking your organs and a wider examination is due to the low total carbon dioxide count. CO2 functions with bicarbonate (HCO3-) in your blood to maintain the body's pH. When it is too low (hypocapnia is the fancy word), your blood pH becomes more acidic, which is very dangerous because it results in contraction of blood vessels, especially those supporting your brain. Also, when contracted, less "things" in the blood can be transported together. This can have particular effects when taking medication. In a more technical pharmokinetic term, it can alter the apparent volume of distribution (Vd), which requires your doctor to be more careful when calculating dosages of medication for you.

A1C is a bit of a different story as it is the average blood sugar over a long time, at least a month or two. However, the A1C value is meaningless if it is taken from a person who recently had surgery, gave a generous blood donation, or has liver or kidney disease. An additional situation may be one that you could fall under: erythropoietin. It is a natural hormone in your body that is meant to regulate red blood cells but in thrombocytosis, there are altered levels of erythropoietin, or appropriate levels but for some reason its effects are negated. In other words, the A1C level should be taken with skepticism.

As I said though, the results of the blood test are useful in indicating there is an infection, although it cannot point to which one. More data needs to be obtained, which I'm sure the hematologlist will try to obtain.
Two words: Holy Shit. Now more words! You are extremely smart and I understood that for the most part. My god you are smart! Anyway, thank you, and yeah, just have to find one who takes kids and teens now which my doctor is working very hard to do.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Weird blood test results - September 20th 2011, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leochick123 View Post
Two words: Holy Shit. Now more words! You are extremely smart and I understood that for the most part. My god you are smart! Anyway, thank you, and yeah, just have to find one who takes kids and teens now which my doctor is working very hard to do.
Haha, thanks for the compliments. Was there anything from there you didn't understand or want more clarification (excluding Vd because it will be a long explanation unless you know a bit of pharmokinetics and a good understanding of basic human biology)?

I'm not a doctor but I would think any hemotologist would do, as long as they get your medical history plus the blood tests you posted. They may order a very comprehensive or specific blood test if it's not in your recent medical history. I wasn't aware there even were pediatric hemotologists!

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Re: Weird blood test results - September 20th 2011, 04:52 AM

I pretty much understand, I'm lucky in the respects that I get medical stuff and have an interest in it Also yeah, I'm sure they will do specifics to find what exactly could be causing it. And there are some that don't take children and teens so by pediatric we mean kids and teens only or at least taking them at all, so far no luck.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Bubbly751 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: Weird blood test results - September 20th 2011, 02:20 PM

Earlier this year, when we were trying to find a pediatric hematologist, the closest one ended up being at Stanford's children hospital. You might want to look into going there. Good luck!!

Feel free to PM or VM me

Sh free since 7/10/16

I've been here for 3 years and counting!!

Closed Thread