TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Haylee. Offline
Just breathe.
Regular TeenHelper

Question anemic? - October 1st 2011, 09:27 PM

Soooooooo, for a few months now I've just been feeling really weak and tired all the time. I get headaches every day. And I usually nevvveerrr get headaches! ugh. I'm worried I might be anemic? I looked up the symptoms and I have most of them. I can't go to the doctor because I can't really talk to my mom about it, if I am anemic I feel like it could be from Self harming...Not sure.......

what do you guys think?????

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: anemic? - October 1st 2011, 10:57 PM

Hi there.

I became anemic due to blood loss from self harm. If you're worried you are anemic the only way to find out is seeing your doctor and having blood tests. You may need medication for it so its really important to sort it out!

Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: anemic? - October 2nd 2011, 12:01 AM

Hi there,

It could be possible you're anemic.
Definitely head to your doctor and request blood tests. Try to eat foods rich in iron, could help to ease some of your symptoms in the mean time.

Paige

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: anemic? - October 2nd 2011, 12:12 AM

Same as everyone else has said, but it could be many other things.

Depression can cause headaches and lethargy. Something with your thyroid could also cause these systems. You should see a doctor. Only they can diagnose you and only they could ask you the proper questions to figure out what is going on.

As I said, headache and fatigue are two very common symptoms to various physical and mental illnesses.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: anemic? - October 2nd 2011, 01:33 AM

Wait!

There are two potentially interrelated issues here, hun. The first is the symptoms you're complaining of, and we can't tell for sure what they are, but I think we can say with some certainty that they're not typical and mean something is wrong. So, regardless of your anxieties, you should tell your mom or the school nurse or someone and get them checked out. Never fool around with clear symptoms that don't go away and you cannot reasonably account for.

The other issue is the cutting. Aside for the very real fact that we both know this isn't a good thing to do, it doesn't resolve anything, and it's very dangerous, you now have some symptoms which you relate to the cutting. In order to to actually develop anemia from cutting (blood loss) you have to be doing this a lot, and with a significant amount of blood loss. The body is fairly self regulating, there's always a reserve of all the essentials (that's why you survive monthly periods!), so to actually have a problem (like anemia), it's way past time to address THAT. So, in order to really address the symptoms you might also need to get to someone who can help with the potential cause (the cutting).

You can do this together with the visit to the doctor/nurse, or you can do it separately. But, do it! It's a vicious cycle, it doesn't really resolve anything, and there are other ways of feeling better!

OK?

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

Last edited by Dr.Bobby; October 2nd 2011 at 02:20 AM.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Haylee. Offline
Just breathe.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: anemic? - October 2nd 2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Bobby View Post
Wait!

There are two potentially interrelated issues here, hun. The first is the symptoms you're complaining of, and we can't tell for sure what they are, but I think we can say with some certainty that they're not typical and mean something is wrong. So, regardless of your anxieties, you should tell your mom or the school nurse or someone and get them checked out. Never fool around with clear symptoms that don't go away and you cannot reasonably account for.

The other issue is the cutting. Aside for the very real fact that we both know this isn't a good thing to do, it doesn't resolve anything, and it's very dangerous, you now have some symptoms which you relate to the cutting. In order to to actually develop anemia from cutting (blood loss) you have to be doing this a lot, and with a significant amount of blood loss. The body is fairly self regulating, there's always a reserve of all the essentials (that's why you survive monthly periods!), so to actually have a problem (like anemia), it's way past time to address THAT. So, in order to really address the symptoms you might also need to get to someone who can help with the potential cause (the cutting).

You can do this together with the visit to the doctor/nurse, or you can do it separately. But, do it! It's a vicious cycle, it doesn't really resolve anything, and there are other ways of feeling better!

OK?
Thank you! That's really helpful. I still can't actually see a doctor bu I just kinda wanted to make sure...I tend to overreact. lol. I'm starting to think that It maybe could be my sleeping patterns? I hope it's just that.

And yeah, I've stopped cutting. My best friend pretty much just said to just stop. And I promised her i would. So i haven't for ten days.

thank you for your help! I appreciate it!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: anemic? - October 3rd 2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful.Disaster View Post
I've stopped cutting. My best friend pretty much just said to just stop. And I promised her i would. So i haven't for ten days. !
Oh! If you respond that well to direct commands, let me do the same! "Just stop!" Feel free to promise me, too.

I hope you succeed here, but if you don't, how about telling some adult who can get you to a doc so you can work on other ways of controlling those urges. And have yet another person to just tell you to stop, too!

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Haylee. Offline
Just breathe.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: anemic? - October 3rd 2011, 04:30 AM

Yeah, I care about her a lot and I don't want her to have to worry. I feel bad. ha. And, if it gets the point where i can't handle it ill prolly talk to someone. But I think ill be finne.

Closed Thread