TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LikeYou Offline
Here to help <3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: I go by Amy online.

13 and smoking cigarettes - October 8th 2011, 09:13 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of substance use, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I hate myself for it!

I'm 13, and I just picked up smoking.

My parents went to nap (they're older lol) and I said I will get the mail.

I stole on of their cigarettes and went to go the mail and smoked it out there.

I can usually wait until they go to bed to smoke, but...

It doesn't help that I cant smoke while they're smoking in the house.

I hate myself now.

If you ever need to talk, send me a PM <3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: 13 and smoking cigarettes - October 8th 2011, 09:38 PM

So if you hate that you smoke, why don't you just stop? It's just mind over matter; people quit smoking every day.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: 13 and smoking cigarettes - October 8th 2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maloo View Post
So if you hate that you smoke, why don't you just stop? It's just mind over matter; people quit smoking every day.
Definitely this. Have some self-control & quit if you hate it.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: 13 and smoking cigarettes - October 8th 2011, 10:19 PM

Chewing gum can help you quit, its the fact that you have something to keep your mouth busy.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#5 (permalink)) Old
LikeYou Offline
Here to help <3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: 13 and smoking cigarettes - October 8th 2011, 11:21 PM

The issue is, its helping me mentally in a way. I've stopped biting my nails, my anxiety is down a HUGE level, my depression is getting better..

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: 13 and smoking cigarettes - October 9th 2011, 04:05 AM

You've got to remember, as you keep smoking you're going to become unhealthier and that may make you feel pretty bad. The fact you've stopped biting your nails and whatever else are peanuts in comparison. In fact you already admitted that you hate yourself and will continue the more often you do this, runs contradictory to relieving your depression. It'd be a cause for it, not a relief.

Furthermore, it's a very risky thing you're doing in terms of your parents finding out. You can scrub your hands and pop breath mints all the time but that's not going to conceal the physically evident signs you're smoking. For example, when you go to the dentist, they're going to notice your dental hygiene is significantly worse than before and may ask if you smoke. So it's not just risky in terms of health but also in getting caught. Once you're caught, you're not going to be happy, you're going to be pretty awful.

Instead, find something else that's healthier and less risky to help you stop biting your nails and all the rest. Perhaps chewing gum could help or joining a sport team or painting, the list is endless.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
LikeYou Offline
Here to help <3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: 13 and smoking cigarettes - October 9th 2011, 06:37 AM

I know. I know. My parents smoke, too.

I've tried all those things, they dont work.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: 13 and smoking cigarettes - October 9th 2011, 02:06 PM

Hi online Amy,

I'll assume you know the dangers of smoking, and how they accumulate over time, which means the younger you start, the more years you smoke=the greatest chance of having all those nasty health affects, and sooner. And I'll also assume you want to stop. And (lastly) I'll also assume you don't want a lecture here, so I won't offer that.

It IS hard to not pick up some of the habits of your folks, it just makes it so tempting and easy if you're around it all the time. The BEST idea would be for you to find a way to get your folks to quit, not only for their health and well being, but yours, too. maybe you can ask them to quit? Maybe have a serious talk with them about your concerns for them, and maybe tell them how tempting it is for you if you're around it?

Adults continue to smoke b/c they're addcited to the nicotine, smoking (and the cigs themselves) are just the delivery system. What they like isn't 'smoking', its the nicotine they need thru the smoke to stop the cravings when the body senses the blood levels of it drop to a certain point. Yuck.

The point there is that smoking is a behavior that continues not so much b/c the user enjoys or likes it, but b/c physiologically they need the nicotine. If you ask most smokers if they'd like to stop, they say yes.

So, using that logic, most parents who smoke do not want their kids to start, and that bit there about your needing them to quit to help you avoid the temptation might be the extra bit of incentive they need to quit. It's easier now, btw, b/c they're medications that help, maybe remind them of this.

Until then, exert some self control and self discipline and just avoid the temptation to smoke. You CAN do this before you become addicted, so it's in your best interest to do that. Besides, at 13, you're about to face many strong urges and impulses to do all sorts of things, and you have to be able to say no to yourself, so this is good practice. And if you can't, find someone to help you gain those skills.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Re: 13 and smoking cigarettes - October 9th 2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeYou View Post
I know. I know. My parents smoke, too.

I've tried all those things, they dont work.
You don't need this *special thing* to help you quit. All you have to do is want to quit. If you want to do it, then you'll be able to quit. It's completely under your control.

And as for it helping you with other things, then you're using smoking as a cop-out, and not actually dealing with your problems. Solving your problems with another problem never works out in the end.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: 13 and smoking cigarettes - October 9th 2011, 03:55 PM

Smoking actually only will make you feel this way for a short time, then you'll need to smoke just to feel normal again. Its really a bad habit to get into, and is very unhealthy.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#11 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: 13 and smoking cigarettes - October 9th 2011, 06:14 PM

How does Lung Cancer sound to you? Because that's what you'll give yourself.

There are better ways to deal with depression and anxiety.

It's mind over matter, recognise that smoking is a bad idea, recognise that you should stop and the rest is easy

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Re: 13 and smoking cigarettes - October 9th 2011, 10:01 PM

Iíve moved your thread to the appropriate forum. Smoking related topics belong in the General Health forum because we encourage you to stop. Smoking has a ton of health risks as you know. If you care about your well being and want to live a healthier life I suggest you try to quit. Donít pick up someone elseís bad habits no ones perfect.

I wish you all the best.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: 13 and smoking cigarettes - October 10th 2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeYou View Post
The issue is, its helping me mentally in a way. I've stopped biting my nails, my anxiety is down a HUGE level, my depression is getting better..
Hey, Amy. First I want you to know it's good you posted. You obviously want to stop because you know it's bad for your health.

This quote I'm going to comment on:
Nicotine will make you more anxious in the long-run. At first it gives you this feeling of security and makes everything better. Once you smoke more and get into a routine, it will be all you can think about. Then your anxiety will be pretty terrible. You might shake, you can have withdrawal symptoms. You might feel ill without a cigarette. Your body, not just your mind, will become dependent on this expensive cancer-giving, breath-sucking object.

That is not something you should want. Also, at 13 it may be hard to get a hold of cigarettes. So if you form an addiction to them, realize you may not be able to get your hands on more when you want them.

If you really want to quit smoking and none of the other things have worked and you are not able to quit on your own, then it's time to ask for help. Whether you tell your parents or not. Telling them might help. Maybe they will smoke away from you or out of site. If not, then tell someone at school. There are programs that some schools take part in. I forget the name but my school had one where the students who were smoking could leave lunch and go to this building together. There they would basically have a meeting similar to AA (alcoholics anonymous). The students were not to speak of who was there. Parents didn't know about it unless the student wanted them to. And they could get together and think of ways to stop, as well as be supportive of each other.

Some students who were caught smoking on campus were required to attend

Point is, there are way to quit. You just need to decide if you are willing to do it or if you will continue using the "It makes me feel good" excuse.

As another young user posts a thread on smoking, I'm going to quote my family's experience with cigarettes. "My mother started smoking at 15. She now has emphysema which is a life-long disease. If she doesn't quit smoking it will get worse until she will no longer be able to breathe. Even if she stops, other things that cause regular smoke (fires, etc) can cause her lungs to tighten up. She cannot work anymore because of smoking.

My aunt who was 50 found out she had lung cancer - likely due to smoking since she was 14. At 52 the cancer spread like a wildfire and within a few months she had tumors all over her body. It moved to her throat and developed a tumor there, which they were not able to remove. She literally starved to death."

And I'm linking you to two threads about other young users who smoke(d). Maybe some advice given in them can help. Here and here.

Here is a link another user (JKmadu619) linked one of them to. It tells of all the horrible things smoking does to you.

PM if you need anything.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: 13 and smoking cigarettes - October 10th 2011, 01:46 PM

If you're trying to quit smoking then you should know that you can't just decide it one fine day and then expect your body to suddenly stop craving for nicotine and all. Make a schedule for yourself. Write down the number of cigarettes you smoke a day at present. And then write the number you'll smoke in the subsequent days and weeks slowly decreasing the number. Put up this list somewhere you can see it. You can try writing some motivational quotes also on the list. You can write why you want to quit to remind you of it whenever you feel like smoking.

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

(#15 (permalink)) Old
LittleMiss Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Christine

Re: 13 and smoking cigarettes - October 10th 2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
If you're trying to quit smoking then you should know that you can't just decide it one fine day and then expect your body to suddenly stop craving for nicotine and all. Make a schedule for yourself. Write down the number of cigarettes you smoke a day at present. And then write the number you'll smoke in the subsequent days and weeks slowly decreasing the number. Put up this list somewhere you can see it. You can try writing some motivational quotes also on the list. You can write why you want to quit to remind you of it whenever you feel like smoking.
Studies have shown this way of quitting is less effective than stopping altogether suddenly. There's too much room for relapse.

Happy to talk about anything and everything.
Send me a message any time, my proverbial door is open

Laughter is the best medicine
Q: What's the difference between a surgeon and God?
A: God doesn't think he's a surgeon.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Re: 13 and smoking cigarettes - October 10th 2011, 05:27 PM

Yeah, you definitely can decide to just stop one day.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Re: 13 and smoking cigarettes - October 10th 2011, 06:54 PM

I suggest that you talk to a school counselor about this problem, most school systems should have resources that would help you with breaking free.
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Samrz Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sammi Paige

Re: 13 and smoking cigarettes - October 10th 2011, 07:14 PM

You are the same age as me! You shouldn't be smoking!!!

Love: Sammi Paige<3

It doesn't always seem like it, but there's always someone who cares about you.

Stay Strong<3

Music = My Happiness

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: 13 and smoking cigarettes - October 10th 2011, 08:04 PM

I'm going to close this as the replies are becoming repetitive. Amy, the OP, can PM me if she wants this reopened. Amy, you can also post another thread in this section if you have any questions or need some support as this thread turned more into facts about smoking.

Good luck.

Closed Thread