TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Isaiah_41:13 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Marla Ann (Mar)

How long does it take bruised or broken ribs to heal? - October 14th 2011, 12:12 AM

How long does it take for a bruised or broken rib to heal? my friend got hurt, and she wanted to be able to play soccer soon.... anyone know?

Isaiah 41:13

For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.

God is the God of second chances

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Sweet Slumber
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: How long does it take bruised or broken ribs to heal? - October 14th 2011, 03:06 PM

Which does she have? A broken rib will take longer to heal than a bruised one. If she bruised it, it could take anywhere between two weeks and several months. It depends where she hit and how hard. So, if she is able to stand the pain she can play soccer now.

If she has either of these though, she needs to see a doctor and the doctor can tell her. Even though doctors won't do much for bruised ribs, they can help with the pain and it's good to see them in case you damaged anything else.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: How long does it take bruised or broken ribs to heal? - October 15th 2011, 12:04 AM

bruised. I took her to the doctors earlier today.

For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Sweet Slumber
I can't get enough

Re: How long does it take bruised or broken ribs to heal? - October 15th 2011, 02:11 AM

Thank you for clarifying. I would say within two weeks she should probably be feeling much less pain. Depending on how hard she hit then she could be healed as soon as a month.

She should be able to play soccer whenever she feels the pain lessen. Bruised ribs aren't anymore fragile than fully healthy ribs. If she has cracked them, that would be a different story though.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: How long does it take bruised or broken ribs to heal? - October 15th 2011, 02:56 AM

out of curiosity, what would have happened if she had cracked them?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Sweet Slumber
I can't get enough

Re: How long does it take bruised or broken ribs to heal? - October 15th 2011, 03:08 AM

Well, most fractured (cracked) ribs would just take time to heal at home. You have to be more careful with your activities because usually a fractured/cracked rib will let your lungs get past your rib cage slightly, causing severe pain during breaths and possible trauma to your lung if you were to fall.

The doctor should be able to tell if you have a cracked rib.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: How long does it take bruised or broken ribs to heal? - October 15th 2011, 05:24 AM

I had 2 fractured ribs (floating ribs, lower-most ribs) from a snowboarding accident. At the time I didn't know they were fractured, all I knew is they were hurting something fierce but I kept snowboarding because I thought the pain would soon subside. I stopped snowboarding that day when the pain wasn't easing up, meaning I damaged something so I went to the doctors and sure enough, they were fractured. It took close to a month for them to heal.

I've also had plenty of bruised ribs, part of the joy of full-contact martial arts. They hurt something fierce as well, although the pain subsides sooner and there aren't breathing difficulties. She can play soccer as she wants, it's just going to hurt, especially if she takes further damage.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: How long does it take bruised or broken ribs to heal? - October 15th 2011, 04:23 PM

okay, thanks guys!

Closed Thread