TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Found a lump? - October 15th 2011, 12:42 PM

Quite nervous now. Going to phone the docs on monday. I noticed it last week but I thought I'd see if it would go away but it hasn't. Only noticed as it was next to a spot.

Reassurance please?
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Found a lump? - October 15th 2011, 01:52 PM

I'm assuming you mean a lump in your breast?

I found a very large one in my breast 7 months ago. My doctor felt it and said it was Fibrocystic Breast Changes. About 6 months later I had been told by numerous people my doctor is an idiot and I should have had a mammogram no matter what he thought. So I had to go through Planned Parenthood. They referred me to Little Red Door Cancer Agency who will pay for the mammogram I'm going in a week and a half.

Alright, first things first. It is COMMON for women to get lumps in their breast. Most turn out to be cysts (harmless), or Fibrocystic breast changes (caused by too much caffeine, or hormone changes). Only about 6% of breast lumps are cancerous.

Now, you'll go to the doc and they will feel your breast. Push for a mammogram. Even if it doesn't feel cancerous to the doctor push for a mammo otherwise you will not stop wondering.

Now, for mammograms. Most of the time they will ask you to come back, but it's only so they are certain it's not cancer. Then they will probably ask for an annual mammogram just to be certain.

So, I really think you should be fine. Your age is unlikely for cancer and you've likely caught it early which is wonderful. Let me know what the results are, okay?

Believe me, I know this is terrifying. I'm still going through it! Feel free to PM if you want to.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: Found a lump? - October 15th 2011, 02:03 PM

I'm more nervous than scared. I'm putting off telling my mum etc unless there is something. I've not noticed it before.

I'll phone the docs on mon, so i'm guessing they will just refer me to the hospital. My mum had a lump which turned out to be nothing too so i guess thats why i'm not scared.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Found a lump? - October 15th 2011, 03:07 PM

Hey,

I found a lump before a couple of years back and it turned out to be nothing. As long as it's not really painful or growing then there's a good chance that it's nothing.

You might not even be referred to the hospital, my doctor just felt the lump and was like that's normal and sent me home again.

I hope Monday goes well

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lottie Offline
Retro TH'er- since 2007.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Lottie

Re: Found a lump? - October 15th 2011, 09:40 PM

Lumps which are cancerous are not painful and you'll more often than not notice other changes with the breast. Changes such as 'orange peel skin'- which look like this: http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/bookimages/5/2775.1.jpg. Inverted nipples, eczema like rash on breast, discharge etc.

More common causes of lumps are: spots, fluid-filled lumps (cysts), fibroadenomas or fatty lumps.

Just to be on the safe side, get it checked. Don't put it off. The longer you leave it the more stressed out you'll get.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread