TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LikeYou Offline
Here to help <3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: I go by Amy online.

Mom is on to me - October 17th 2011, 07:37 PM

So as you all know, I'm 13 and I smoke. I go out to the dock to do it once a day.

After coming in this morning, my mom asked me what I did out there. I told her I just sat ( which is partially true) and then she asked me why I go into my room afterwards. I told her it was because I bring a wallet thing with me incase someone tries to rape me or something ( which is also partially true)

I think she knows.

If you ever need to talk, send me a PM <3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Re: Mom is on to me - October 18th 2011, 03:44 AM

Smoking isn’t something you can hide for long because it becomes routine. If you’re lucky your mom will make you stop, I don’t think you understand how bad it is for your health. Starting smoking at the age of 13 doesn’t give you great odds at the age of 50. Many people would consider 50 to be a young age but smoking really increases your risk of cancer. With your best intention in mind I hope she knows your smoking, its just an expensive health risk. The amount of money you’ll spend from now till your 18 on cigarettes will have easily paid for a car. I’m taking into account the fact that you will start to smoke more often too, if you don’t break the habit soon that is.

Smoking cigarettes gives you a nicotine rush, as you take it more and more your body physically needs it. Take for example one day without smoking how do you feel? Is it hard to fall asleep or is it the only thing on your mind? It can become a stronger feeling then hunger to the point where you’d rather have a smoke to be full. Scary thought, you’ve got your whole life ahead of you and you don’t get any second tries. I know your 13 and your invisible but this will catch up with you no question about it.

In the next breath your body can heal itself if you allow it to. Don’t pick up someone else’s bad habits, going through life you should learn from other people’s mistakes and better yourself from it. It never gets easier to hear about when a young person starts smoking because I see it has a death sentence for lack of a better term.

Last edited by Ryan1; October 18th 2011 at 06:37 PM.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Re: Mom is on to me - October 18th 2011, 06:54 PM

Ryan is completely right, hiding smoking is not an easy thing, I would know, I started when I was your age, I never did it regularly enough to get physically addicted but my point is, it is difficult to hide, eventually she'll find out if she already hasn't. You shouldn't be trying to hide this because chances are if you have to hide it, you shouldn't be doing it in the first place. I'm going to be honest and dead serious, if you continue to smoke, it will kill you before you can even reach any normal life expectancy. You need to stop and your mom should help you if she realizes you do it. Besides most people can figure it out, the smell gets stuck in your clothes, hair and anything else really that you smoke around, that smell will only get stronger as you continue and she isn't just going to write that off.

I highly suggest you stop now before it gets worse, coming from another teen who struggled with smoking.

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Haunted Offline
STAR GAZER
Average Joe

Name: Serena

Re: Mom is on to me - October 18th 2011, 08:29 PM

I completely agree with Cheye and Ryan. You need to stop before it will get too hard to quit. My older cousins both smoke and one of them started at 14 or 15. I don't remember exactly, because I was like 6 when she started, but the point is you have to stop. Don't wait till it will be too late and too difficult.

MONACHOPSIS
the subtle but persistent feeling of being out of place, as maladapted to your surroundings as a seal on a beach—lumbering, clumsy, easily distracted, huddled in the company of other misfits, unable to recognize the ambient roar of your intended habitat, in which you’d be fluidly, brilliantly, effortlessly at home.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
This Time I'll Make You Proud.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Re: Mom is on to me - October 18th 2011, 10:16 PM

My mom has been smoking since she was 9 (she's 50 now) and every year she get's bronchitis, pneumonia, and other respiratory infections on average of about 10 times. Trust me, it's not worth it.
Your lungs start to shrivel up and turn black, your teeth turn yellow, your fingernails turn yellow, your breath smells horrible all the time, and your hair and your clothes don't smell too great either.
There are over 4,000 ingredients in cigarettes and you may not know what all of them mean, but one that me upset (mostly because my mom was smoking this) was there is rat poisoning it there. And of course many more harmful chemicals.
I know you've heard this as many times as I have, but smoking cigarettes causes many many cases of Lung Cancer. I have actually had a friend's mom die of lung cancer a few years ago.
You are doing yourself a HUGE favor by not smoking. It's the worst damage you could possibly do to yourself.
I have had a friend who started smoking, but I convinced her the same way I have told you, to stop smoking. And she did. I think learning at a young age about what it really does to you, and stopping soon at a young age, is easier then when you get older.
Please, please take my advice, and quit.

"..And if you're perusing the social media networks, I urge you to keep your fucking opinions to yourself. If you're going ruin someone's day, ruin your own."
- Bert McCracken

Last edited by Fabrication; October 18th 2011 at 10:22 PM.

Closed Thread