TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Gah! - October 20th 2011, 11:58 PM

I need some help, here.

Generally, I consider myself to be pretty healthy. I get sick very seldom, I'm very energetic for the most part. Last year, when school went out, I was skinny as a rail -- but healthy skinny, mind -- and comfortable in my skin. I felt great, just as good as I had when I'd been a small child. This was my post-track days.

Well this year's a whole different story.

I've gained back half of the weight that I lost last year in far less than the time it took me to lose it in the first place. I've lost muscle. I'm getting colds right and left. My head feels almost constantly stuffy. I can't sing worth anything. Nasal as hell.

Part of the reason, I know, is because I've stopped running like I normally do. I tried taking up yoga and belly dance, but after my dad made fun of me, I pretty much quit and dealt with the stress like I always did -- I ate. Before, the way I dealt with stress was to get outside and run. That's not the case anymore. I just sink deeper and deeper into despair, and part of it is because I'm consuming a diet comprised almost entirely of carbs and protein and sugars and fats. I'm losing energy to not only keep my body and my immune system healthy, but also to keep myself floating just above depression -- it's kind of hard to do that when you're stuffing your face, which is what I feel like I'm doing.

Another part of the problem is that I have what my chiropractor calls 'functional scoliosis' -- a type of scoliosis that can be fixed with the proper treatment. I haven't been to my chiropractor since the end of last school year -- about the time I started gaining my weight back. This links up because of the fact that half of the yoga positions or pre-run stretches I do pain me greatly. My hip feels like it's about ready to pull out of socket, and my back sometimes feels like it's ripping in two when I sprint. It's shitty, and thus, I haven't ran for nearly two weeks, whereas I used to run three to five times a week.

And then on top of the school food sucking even worse than normal, my mom thinks buying healthy food is buying two heads of iceburg lettuce, a tomato, and a bunch of bananas and saying: "Have at 'em, Ana!" When I asked for almonds, she brought back the roasted, salted kind that taste something similar to potato chips in nut form -- I don't even know how they make them taste like that. I tell her to buy pineapple and peaches? She buys a huge can of pineapple drowned in sugar and fructose. Last summer and school year, I went shopping with her and picked out what I wanted. This school year, she goes shopping while I'm in school, leaving me completely out of the buying thing.

A normal meal at my house consists of mashed potatoes (or other form of potatoes), some sort of meaty thing, pasta, and corn. She buys the sugariest snacks in the land, I swear, so when I come home starving because the school food's shit, I have no option but to eat the sugary and starchy things, or starve.

Just sayin', it makes it hard to stay healthy when you're not getting the chiropractic adjustments you need, and proper vegetables and fruits. I'm gonna try making a list of things I want, and offering to cook dinner several nights a week.

But right now, I'm just frustrated as hell 'cause I feel lazy for not being able to run. I used to be able to sprint five hundred yards with no problem, seven or eight hundred if I pushed it. I was planning to run sprints for our track team when track season came in again. How the hell am I supposd to do it if I'm completely out of shape by the time the track season actually gets here?

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
bitchrepellent Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Josh!

Re: Gah! - October 23rd 2011, 10:27 PM

Well what you planning to do is great. You can ALWAYS go back to how you were. But ask yourself how much do you really want? Ofcourse its easier to stay at home and eat some food instead of go and do well for your body. Ive been there, infact im still kind of in that situation myself.

You need motivation. I can't give you that only you can. I'd suggest starting from tomorrow? Small goals and light exercise. Break yourself in. Enjoy it, then it will flow

I hope this helped and I hope you start your running again

Closed Thread