TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
zumbaqueen2012 Offline
I can't get enough

Clumsy Beyond Belief - October 27th 2011, 07:52 PM

Okay I have dyspraxia so I'm naturally clumsy anyway
for those of you who dont know what that is, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developmental_dyspraxia

But its getting beyond a joke recently. I seem to have no sense of spatial awareness, I'm constantly banging my legs and hips especially on the sides of tables etc. I constantly have bruises all over my body and no idea how I get them half the time.

I recently took a backwards tumble out of bed (dont know how) and landed on the floor and the bruises on my knees took 2 weeks to heal.

My mother tells me to slow down and be careful, but its not making a difference really.

Help?!
  Send a message via MSN to zumbaqueen2012  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Clumsy Beyond Belief - November 3rd 2011, 03:06 PM

As far as I know, there isn't much you can do. Are you getting any treatments? I know they have some treatments for hand/eye coordination and speech therapies, maybe some hand/eye coordination could help a little bit with your issue?

Best of luck.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: Clumsy Beyond Belief - November 3rd 2011, 11:18 PM

I always thought it was just me But seriously, I'm the same [Minus the dyspraxia] and I walk into things all the time. My hips are usually covered in bruises and I have a tendency to headbutt windows. As far as I know, it's sheer clumsines,s but you can do activities to improve co-ordination. Might be worth asking your doc, just to check

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Clumsy Beyond Belief - November 4th 2011, 10:51 PM

I have dyspraxia as well, I have recently took up karate and its helped me with my balance and spacial awareness . I have also found doing activities on the wii fit has also helped me (mostly the balance games ). Unfortunately banging into things comes with dyspraxia, I still bang and walk into things and trip over things (mostly my own feet) but since taking up karate I have found my balance, hand and eye co-ordination and spacial awareness is all a-bit better. And its also helped with my confidence too!

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Clumsy Beyond Belief - November 5th 2011, 01:02 AM

I feel thankful now for merely not being able to catch a football and looking like a robot on the dance floor. Hope y'all find some relief!

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Raining Glitter Offline
Average Joe

Re: Clumsy Beyond Belief - November 11th 2011, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx little miss clumsy xx View Post
Okay I have dyspraxia so I'm naturally clumsy anyway
for those of you who dont know what that is, *I'm under ten posts so I was force to delete the link...*

But its getting beyond a joke recently. I seem to have no sense of spatial awareness, I'm constantly banging my legs and hips especially on the sides of tables etc. I constantly have bruises all over my body and no idea how I get them half the time.

I recently took a backwards tumble out of bed (dont know how) and landed on the floor and the bruises on my knees took 2 weeks to heal.

My mother tells me to slow down and be careful, but its not making a difference really.

Help?!

Okay this might be slightly off topic...

But I'm shocked. Like amazed. This sounds exactly like me!

I clicked on the link and read it and like I said-amazed. I have a speech impediment that I just don't understand why I can't get over. Out of my siblings, I was always the one that struggled the most with speech. Not being diagnosed would make sense because well... I was fully diagnosed last year with ADD, when I was a Junior in High School. I have triplet siblings, so I was the "one that fell between the cracks" as my doctor describes it.

I'm just shocked. This is definitely something I'll bring up with my mother.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Closed Thread