TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ceres Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Underweight - October 29th 2011, 11:08 PM

I don't have an eating disorder (or at least I don't think so), so I put this here instead of the other forum.

I've always been the 'naturally skinny' person, only recently it's been bothering me. According to my BMI, I need to gain weight just to hit the BOTTOM average weight for my age and height. I absolutely hate my body because of it. I wear long sleeve shirts all the time because my arms are bony...I can fit my thumb and pinky around my wrist . Others tell me this part is just genetics, but I hate it.

No matter what I try I can't gain weight. When I eat myself until I'm stuffed, it seems to only go to my midsection. I have problems with extreme fatigue and tiredness (everyone tells me I'm the laziest person they know) and I think if I weighed more I'd have more energy.

I don't think I never eat. My family doesn't exactly have 'dinner time', so I just eat when I'm hungry. Which is typically once or twice a day. I rarely eat 3 meals a day, not because I don't want to, but I'm just not hungry. The feeling of eating, or thinking of eating when I'm not hungry makes me nauseous. The exact feeling is like if I stick my finger down my throat - I feel like if I put something in my mouth or even open it I'll throw up. I never eat breakfast because of this. I always get it in the mornings, sometimes its so bad I can't even brush my teeth without gagging.

I've been trying to eat more protein and carbs, but my family rarely has much food in the house. My parents work constantly, and no one knows how to cook, so all we have is frozen and processed foods which I can't stand as well. I can only eat eggs or frozen chicken so many times without wanting to vomit at the thought of the taste of them.

People have told me maybe I need to work out, but I find it so hard to do anything extremely physical because I'm so tired all the time. Besides, wouldn't I lose more weight from that? I don't know if its a motivation thing or what but I never can do anything. Um, whats wrong with me?

Last edited by escape_thereal_world; October 29th 2011 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Please do not put BMI, calories, or weight numbers on the forums. Thank you!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Underweight - October 30th 2011, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceres View Post
People have told me maybe I need to work out, but I find it so hard to do anything extremely physical because I'm so tired all the time. Besides, wouldn't I lose more weight from that? I don't know if its a motivation thing or what but I never can do anything. Um, whats wrong with me?
Eating right and working out stabilize your body. So if you are overweight, you may lose weights; if you are underweight, you may gain weight. I also believe that you need to work out more.

You really should start exercising regularly. Regular physical activities will help boost your energy, build muscles, strengthen bones, improve your overall fitness. You mentioned that you feel tired all the time, right? Exercise helps!

It should also help you control your weight AND your eating habits. You admitted that you don't have much stamina so it would take time. But working out forces your body to use much more energy than normal. You would feel hungry in no time.

Once again, forget about the weight, your body will find the right weight for yourself on its own . . . as long as you lead a healthy lifestyle.

You can start off right now by get off that chair/bed and start warming up! And since it's the first day, after warming up, you can always start with a light workout with about 50 sit ups and 30 push ups, then jog for about 10 minutes.

It shouldn't take longer than twenty minutes to finish this light workout, but it's a great start. Remember: If you say, "I'll do it tomorrow," you might end up never doing it. And nothing will change.

-----------------

This is a little biased since I love martial arts, but if you have the money to pay the school fee, then I would recommend you to join a local martial art school. What style is up to you. Learn whichever one you like. Regardless of which style you learn, you definitely would get good workouts from coming to those classes.

It's okay if you don't have stamina or if you have never practice martial art before. We are started out as white belts at some point. Most schools allow a "trial period." So you can try out before you officially join.

Last edited by Digilodger; October 30th 2011 at 02:40 AM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
ralphedison Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ralph Edison

Re: Underweight - October 31st 2011, 05:26 PM

Hello
I actually have the opposite problem of the OP, I don't eat much, I go to gym almost everyday for about two to three hours, I play sports like basketball often but I still have a rounded body.

I think It's all about the somatotypes:
  • Ectomorphic: characterized by long and thin muscles/limbs and low fat storage; usually referred to as slim. Ectomorphs are not predisposed to store fat or build muscle.
  • Mesomorphic: characterized by medium bones, solid torso, low fat levels, wide shoulders with a narrow waist; usually referred to as muscular. Mesomorphs are predisposed to build muscle but not store fat.
  • Endomorphic: characterized by increased fat storage, a wide waist and a large bone structure, usually referred to as fat. Endomorphs are predisposed to storing fat.
I might be endomorphic and you might be ectomorphic. I suggest that you follow the instructions of the poster above and if you want to enroll to a gym, you should definitely want to get a gym instructor, finally if you want, you may try several weight enhancer products like several brands of milk, vitamins etc...

"He who does not know how to look back at where he came from will never get to his destination."
Jose Rizal
  Send a message via Yahoo to ralphedison  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Re: Underweight - October 31st 2011, 11:38 PM

If you eat, you may just have a fast metabolism. It's what I have. I am extremely skinny and very underweight but I eat. Try to, though, maintain some form of activity, whether it is just walking around your neighborhood daily or evenly doing laps on your stairs at home. From past experience and from seeing a nutritionist, protein won't help, it might even do the opposite of what you expect it to do. This may sound weird, but eat junk food. Junk food will help your weight and will improve how you feel. Probably sounds weird, right? But, I'm serious, eat junk food...but you have to remember to balance it with fruits and veggies. Saying that, write down the food you eat like a diary. If you spilt your daily food intake into thirds. 2/3 should be junk food and the 1/3 should be your fruits/veggies/protein.

If you want more, I am glad to help!

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
loving my fiance
Not a n00b

Name: Angela

Re: Underweight - November 6th 2011, 07:54 PM

dont get frusrated. how do you personally feel about weight

Angela and Will 4ever
  Send a message via AIM to strength_to_surrive_si Send a message via MSN to strength_to_surrive_si Send a message via Yahoo to strength_to_surrive_si  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Coal Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Underweight - November 9th 2011, 05:12 PM

Doctors have said that BMI is NOT a fool-proof way of finding out if you're at a healthy weight. Something like calculating a fat percentage works better. But anyway, please don't start eating all kinds of crap in an attempt to put on weight. You will just end up putting on fat, whereas the better option would be to put on muscle. For that you need to start eating more, most of it in protein, plus doing some weight training. Don't forget to stretch afterwards if you want a leaner look instead of a bulky one.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Re: Underweight - November 11th 2011, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coal View Post
Doctors have said that BMI is NOT a fool-proof way of finding out if you're at a healthy weight. Something like calculating a fat percentage works better. But anyway, please don't start eating all kinds of crap in an attempt to put on weight. You will just end up putting on fat, whereas the better option would be to put on muscle. For that you need to start eating more, most of it in protein, plus doing some weight training. Don't forget to stretch afterwards if you want a leaner look instead of a bulky one.
Actually Protein doesn't help. It can do the opposite for someone with fast metabolism. Because, it will just burn off faster.

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Raining Glitter Offline
Average Joe

Re: Underweight - November 11th 2011, 04:50 AM

I agree with what everyone said above!

I know EXACTLY what you are going through. The same thing has been happening to me my whole life. I've always been a bit underweight for my height. The slight difference is that my weight problem got worse when I started taking my ADD medicine that takes away my apatite away extremely.

I completely relate with the whole nearly puking because you are forcing food down your throat... My life everyday.

What I try to do is make sure I get my protein in. You know those weight-loss protein shakes? Try having one at every meal with your meal. See, the "weight-loss" concept of the shakes is that you only drink that so you can gain protein easier without the large amount of food intake.

What I do (and you can do) since I have no apatite is that I have one per meal so I can get the nutrient from my meal AND the extra nutrient from the protein shake. That way, you won't be suffering from malnutrition from not having an apatite and you can at least be healthier.

I'd also recommend talking it over with your parents and a doctor. The doctor isn't only there to make sure you aren't sick- he/she is there to make sure you are just generally healthy. They normally can help figure out a plan or at least come up with ideas to help get you gain the proper nutrition and live healthily Maybe you can get special accommodations that allows you to eat during class. I noticed snaking helps me so much more since it doesn't full you up and you can do it whether your hungry or not!

If you want some more ways to help, let me know! I have more ideas since I go through the same thing!

Edit:

Oh I didn't see the thing about the protein. I'm not sure about protein not helping... But it is better than carbs. Carbs involves short amount of energy, leaving your body drained by a certain time. That's why a lot of sports, such as cross country and swimming, have pasta parties the night before a match: they have those carbs stored for the short amount of energy to use during the match.

The protein might burn off faster than someone without a fast metabolism, but that truly means a person with a fast metabolism might need to consume more protein than normal.

But that's more what I've researched and observed with myself and my peers. :P I'm no nutritionist.

Last edited by Raining Glitter; November 11th 2011 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Bad eye sight >.<

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Kallis Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Underweight - November 24th 2011, 10:17 AM

The basic diet for weight gain that should contain nutritious, high calorie foods. carbohydrate is also assential part for the weight gain. The diet for the carbohydrate meal bread, potatoes, brown rice, pasta, couscous,fresh and dried fruit.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Disneygirl94 Offline
I believe I Can Fly
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kaitlyn

Re: Underweight - November 24th 2011, 03:36 PM

I agree with the above user. Try your best to get on a healthy diet to help you get to a healthy weight. Good Luck!

"My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return. "

Closed Thread