TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Energy drinks - November 5th 2011, 06:23 AM

So I'm one of those crazy people who likes energy drinks.

I don't use them to stay awake, because if anything they make me sleepier, I just enjoy them. Thing is they make me sick sometimes. Some days even the tiniest amount and about an hour later I just want to throw up.

Does anyone know a reason for this? Are they dehydrating like alcohol or something?

I know the obvious answer is stop drinking them, but it's only sometimes and I like them lots I am drinking them less though, just wondering if there was a reason they make some people sick ... a friend of mine is using them to get through her revision and exams and they give her the worst stomach problems, but others are fine with them ...

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Coal Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Energy drinks - November 5th 2011, 01:59 PM

They have really high levels of sugar/artificial sweetners, caffeine and stimulants (taurine, ginseng, carnitine, etc). They are usually very heavily processed, basically completely artificial which is not natural to your body, so it's trying to flush them out of your system as quickly as possible. I think it's just a matter of whose body is more used to these artificial ingerdients.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachell

Re: Energy drinks - November 5th 2011, 07:50 PM

Yes, it is the sugar and the caffieine. It is what they are made of. From what I have been told, they aren't good for you at all.

~I was always scared of everything, even the carousel.~

~Don't worry about me. I'm sort of feeling fine, but by tomorrow, I'll be back on my feet again.~

-Goodnight Tonight

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Energy drinks - November 5th 2011, 08:36 PM

Yes, caffeine dehydrates you. It blocks your ADH receptors which makes you pee a lot, thus making you dehydrated.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Energy drinks - November 5th 2011, 09:08 PM

I would say it's the dehydration, caused by the caffeination and carbonation, that is probably making you sick. Also, as Coal mentioned, the highly processed ingredients.

I'm one of the few people to say I really don't think energy drinks are that bad for you. They're really just a way caffeinated soda. Soda is bad for you, energy drinks are bad for you. But they're really not that much worse than soda. However, if they are making you sick, I would really cut back. How many were you drinking daily/weekly? I think it depends on moderation. My freshman year of high school, I drank two cups of coffee and an energy drink a day, and my body was fine with it, but everybody is different, and that amount of sugar and caffeine may just not react well to your body.

Good luck!

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Energy drinks - November 5th 2011, 10:40 PM

Energy drinks are also bad for you if you drink them before doing something very physically exerting. They can kill you. Drinking an energy drink raises your heart rate, then when you exercise, it gets even higher. Keep doing physically exerting things, the energy drink wears off, but your body tries to keep your heart rate as high as it's been, and it can cause heart failure.

Here's lots of information about energy drinks and the effect they have on your body
http://livehealthyosu.com/2011/03/21...-caution-stop/

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Energy drinks - November 8th 2011, 08:32 AM

It depends on the particular energy drink you're consuming. Most of them, such as Red Bull, Amp, Full Throttle, Beaver Buzz, Rockstar, Jolt, etc... are high in sugars, caffeine and various other vitamins. More modern ones, such as Five-Hour Energy have very little caffeine and sugars in them, yet they can produce similar effects because they overload you on vitamins (I don't have the exact numbers off hand but it's at least 100%-1,000%+ of the daily value).

Last week I had to give a lecture ~45-50 minutes long for one of my research courses. I was working hard like hell with other courses, so that morning I had 1 can of Monster at home, then had another Monster once on campus. Before my lecture I had ~ 1 1/2 cans of Amp. After my lecture, I went with some friends to study for another course and we had some Coke along with Amp, SoBe and Monster. I'm sure if you checked my heart rate at the time it was pretty damn high especially at the start of my lecture because I was also nervous as I was giving the lecture to the class of 6 people but also to several profs who are either directors of research centers or involved with clinical hospitals specializing in the area of my presentation. Despite the nervousness, energy drinks and Coke, I felt a bit sweaty and was rushing certain parts in the beginning as my mind was in 10,000 places at once.

When I go to the dojo to train in karate (light to full-contact sparring) and help teach self-defense, I take 1-2 energy drinks (preferably Amp) and may substitute in a bottle of Gatorade. I've been taking these drinks while training for about the last 6 or so years but have been taking energy drinks for all purposes for much longer than that.

Eventually you get used to it so 1 drink doesn't feel like it does much of anything (although I know it is).

Some can get niacin flushes, which I've seen in other people but never happened to myself.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: Energy drinks - November 8th 2011, 08:44 AM

Thanks everyone!!
I don't drink much to be honest. I mainly drink V or Mother (like Monster), but barely. The times they made me feel sick I drank a can in a day, but spread through the whole day. Like I'd drink a little then put it in the fridge, start feeling ill and wait until it passed to drink anymore. I wasn't drinking them every day either, and not before exercise. And I don't really drink coffee, I have the odd mocha but only with the tiniest amount of coffee and maybe like twice a month.
I'll make sure to drink even more water when I'm drinking them though. I already drink around 2 litres a day, but I'll increase that to avoid dehydration

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Energy drinks - November 8th 2011, 03:47 PM

Water could help, but if it made you feel sick I wouldn't suggest drinking it anymore. Some peoples' bodies just can't handle all the sugars, caffeine, and all the other junk they put in them. It may not just be the caffeine making you feel sick.

This is your body's way of telling you to stop drinking them as something is not settling right. I'm not one to say all energy drinks are bad, but if you feel sick when drinking one then it is. So, I guess try the water but if you still feel sick do not drink them anymore. Try a different one, a less powerful one, or just stop drinking them.

Best of luck.

Closed Thread