TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Laura

weight loss surgery - November 6th 2011, 05:38 PM

I had anorexia that turned into EDNOS, but am pretty much fully recovered. I have a much healthier relationship with food. The only problem is, during my recovery, I put on a good amount of weight. My bmi says that I am obese. I've been following a meal plan really well, but I'm having a hard time to get the weight to come off. I'm finally comfortable with my looks and body image, but the extra weight has actually become painful and started to get in the way.

What I was wondering was if anyone here has had any type of weight loss surgery before, or plastic surgery to assist them in losing extra weight. I've tried researching, but I'm not really sure what's the best, and I'm looking for real life experiences. Also, would I even be able to get this considering my past history of eating disorders?

God, grant the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know that difference.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Coal Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: weight loss surgery - November 6th 2011, 05:58 PM

What worked for someone else might not work as well for you. Consult with a qualified health professional to find out the best method for you or if you should even consider surgery (if you're willing to accept the risks, etc.). Although I know this isn't probably what you want to hear, you should try losing weight with a diet and excercise plan first (unless you have an illness that makes excercising impossible). Try consulting with a nutritionist and a physician first.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lottie Offline
Retro TH'er- since 2007.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Lottie

Re: weight loss surgery - November 6th 2011, 09:24 PM

I would strongly recommend that you do not go for weight loss surgery. I have not experienced it myself, but a relative has. After operations such as gastric bypass and the gastric band (my aunt has had the gastric band) you cannot eat normally. You're restricted to very small meals and a soup diet for the first couple of months. Also, you've got the risks that come with surgery and the recovery post-operatively. It's not the 'easy route' as many seem to think.

My suggestion is going to your doctor and asking them to help you build a healthy eating plan and diet that is suited to yourself.

I wish you all the best with getting to the size you would like to be!

Lottie x

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: weight loss surgery - November 6th 2011, 10:48 PM

I always had an aversion to needles being stuck in me, knives, surgery etc. Have you considered picking up on some exercise routine to lose the weight?

30 minutes a day... fast walking on the treadmill to start, or just fast walking anywhere for that matter. Eventually you can increase it into a jog etc.

It's a lot healthier than surgery. In my opinion surgery should be the last option, along with steroids. Steroids 2nd to last, unless prescribed by a doctor.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Laura

Re: weight loss surgery - November 6th 2011, 10:58 PM

Thank y'all for your replies. I'll consult with my doctor and dietician about this. The only problem is that I can't excersize at the moment. I have complex regional pain syndrome in foot, so I can't move around well. I also have excersized induced asthma, which also makes it difficult.

God, grant the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know that difference.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Coal Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: weight loss surgery - November 9th 2011, 04:55 PM

How bad is the pain in your foot? Can you walk normally? Because honestly, even the smallest changes will help in the long run. Plus, you can try doing pilates, etc. that focuses on your core and doesn't really require the use of legs that much. About the asthma - I have a light case of asthma too, and I've found that I can help it with just proper nutrition. I've found that when I eat a lot of dairy products, it's worse (which sucks, because I love yoghurts, cheese and even just plain milk), whereas when I eat salads and raw fruit, it's not as bad.
Even if you can't excercise that much, don't give up - weight loss is 80% what you put inside your body and only 20% excercise, so you can still lose weight with a proper diet.
A few pointers:
*Drink around 2-3 liters of water a day
*Eat more protein and healthy fats (healthy fats are coconut oil, virgin olive oil, unsalted butter, also in nuts, salmon and avocados).
*Try to cut out as much processed food as possible
*Try to cut out as much sugar as possible
*Try to cut out fried food and white wheat products (pasta, white bread)
*Eat high fiber foods (beans, wholewheat products, etc.)
*Don't eat 3 big meals a day, aim for 6 smaller ones
*Don't skip breakfast
*Try not to count calories. As long as you eat clean and healthy, the amount of calories doesn't really matter.
*And - don't be too hard on yourself. You don't need to deprive yourself of all your favorite things, but do try to substitute them for healthier options.
Hope I've been of use.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: weight loss surgery - November 9th 2011, 05:34 PM

Weight loss surgery is the last resort for the morbidly obese because they have high risk of serious complications so the risks of being overweight have to outweigh the risks of surgery. There is also an extremely long evaluation process before you can be approved. I am against them in 99.9% of cases and only a doctor can decide if you're a candidate.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Closed Thread