TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Watchtower Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chloe

Not enough energy. - November 11th 2011, 08:32 PM

I wasn't sure where to put this and figured this would be the right forum. Forgive me if it's not.

I've been going to bed and waking up pretty good, 7-8 hours of sleep and such. I go to bed at 10pm and wake up at like 7 or 8 am. But I've noticed I don't have enough energy throughout the day, even when I'm doing nothing. I have no money to go anywhere (including gas money) and I cannot walk anywhere. I just notice I'm always exhausted. Could it be that I only started doing this a couple nights ago and sleep is catching up to me? Is there any natural remedies or something that will help keep my energy up until bedtime. No caffeine though, I've already had my second cup for the day (one this morning and one 20 mins ago).

Thanks in advance for your help.

~ Chloe
Feel free to PM me anytime.

My Blog: http://csullivanwatchtower.blogspot.com/
  Send a message via Yahoo to Watchtower  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Not enough energy. - November 11th 2011, 10:52 PM

Water. Water wakes up up and keeps you energized.

Also, if you have just started your sleep routine, it will take a few weeks for your body to adjust. It takes a good 2 weeks for your body to get adjusted to getting in bed, sleeping, and waking up at the same time. If your sleep habits change on the weekend, then that will mess up your weekly schedule. You should try to sleep and wake up near the same time EVERY single day.

You might also benefit from some physical exertion, otherwise your body becomes lethargic due to inactivity.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Watchtower Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Not enough energy. - November 11th 2011, 11:22 PM

I've had sweet tea I cannot stand plain water unless I really really had to drink that. And about the sleeping habits, I am going to try that since my dad is helping me by insisting that my computer is off by 11pm. Although, I'm going to try to get into bed by ten so that reading or watching the news is my bedtime routine. Watching TV in the dark makes me very sleepy so... yeah.

Thanks.

~ Chloe

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Not enough energy. - November 12th 2011, 02:40 PM

I never liked water either. There are some awesome powders you can add to the water so it tastes sweet and yummy! :P Look into those. There are several and some might taste kind of bleh, but another brand or flavor might be what you are looking for. I'd really suggest water.

Either way, good luck

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Not enough energy. - November 12th 2011, 11:03 PM

Yep, water is essential, however you flavour it. Don't overkill with sweeteners because those can give you periods of hyped up energy and then periods when you feel totally crapped out. Apart from that, I guess a balanced diet, with slightly more carbohydrates (pasta, bread, rice, potatoes) because they generally provide higher energy. Something that slowly releases it is good... especially in the morning, I recommend porridge. Don't hate on porridge lol... if you can't stand the taste of it you can mix some honey in with it. I also frequently kick start my morning with fresh orange juice and some light exercise.

To get tired in the afternoon is very normal, I think it happens to most people. I think the most sensible thing to do, is fit it into your daily schedule so that you can take 30 minutes out to simply doze off in a sofa, or in bed even. It does make a huge difference.

It can also be down to the quality of sleep you're getting. You might get 8 hours... ok, but I find I can only sleep properly if I exhaust myself (usually in the afternoon) in the gym. Makes me tired and sleepy.

Also... having the TV on while you sleep isn't necessarily a good idea. It might make you doze off quicker, but even with your eyes closed, the flashing lights can affect your sleep phases. People have evolved to wake up naturally in response to daylight... so having a TV giving off light can interfere with that. If you're really stubborn on watching TV before sleep... perhaps just turn the brightness down. Also a warmer room helps you sleep more effectively usually.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Watchtower Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Not enough energy. - November 13th 2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDF View Post
Yep, water is essential, however you flavour it. Don't overkill with sweeteners because those can give you periods of hyped up energy and then periods when you feel totally crapped out. Apart from that, I guess a balanced diet, with slightly more carbohydrates (pasta, bread, rice, potatoes) because they generally provide higher energy. Something that slowly releases it is good... especially in the morning, I recommend porridge. Don't hate on porridge lol... if you can't stand the taste of it you can mix some honey in with it. I also frequently kick start my morning with fresh orange juice and some light exercise.

To get tired in the afternoon is very normal, I think it happens to most people. I think the most sensible thing to do, is fit it into your daily schedule so that you can take 30 minutes out to simply doze off in a sofa, or in bed even. It does make a huge difference.

It can also be down to the quality of sleep you're getting. You might get 8 hours... ok, but I find I can only sleep properly if I exhaust myself (usually in the afternoon) in the gym. Makes me tired and sleepy.

Also... having the TV on while you sleep isn't necessarily a good idea. It might make you doze off quicker, but even with your eyes closed, the flashing lights can affect your sleep phases. People have evolved to wake up naturally in response to daylight... so having a TV giving off light can interfere with that. If you're really stubborn on watching TV before sleep... perhaps just turn the brightness down. Also a warmer room helps you sleep more effectively usually.
Thanks. But what's porridge? Is that another word for oatmeal, if so, I already eat oatmeal. I'm not able to go anywhere so.... and of course I turn the tv off when I get too sleepy. Perhaps I should have explained that better. Sorry.

~ Chloe

(#7 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Not enough energy. - November 13th 2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenimChloe View Post

Thanks. But what's porridge? Is that another word for oatmeal, if so, I already eat oatmeal. I'm not able to go anywhere so.... and of course I turn the tv off when I get too sleepy. Perhaps I should have explained that better. Sorry.
lol I think porridge is the English name for it... I don't really know any other name. Porridge is just porridge :P

From google images I think oatmeal = porridge.

Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Kallis Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Not enough energy. - November 24th 2011, 10:14 AM

I am very lean and always feel exhausted, When I do exercise I feel tired
after few minute. Please help me and recommend my diet and supplements for the energy.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
BabyGirl767 Offline
Meow! Woof Woof! Moooo! Baaaa!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Re: Not enough energy. - November 24th 2011, 08:38 PM

You may have low vitamin b12 or thyroid issues. I suggest seeing your doctor and talking with him/her about your lack of energy

I was born with a genetic disorder called neurofibromatosis, it causes tumors to grow in my body on nerves,my spine,and under my skin. I have a tumor in the thalamus region of my brain. I also have heartburn,hypothyroidism and secondary adrenal insufficiency these are under control with medication.
I also have hip dysplasia and scoliosis.

Send a message via AIM to BabyGirl767  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Not enough energy. - November 24th 2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallis View Post
I am very lean and always feel exhausted, When I do exercise I feel tired
after few minute. Please help me and recommend my diet and supplements for the energy.
Firstly... just google search balanced diet, and you'll probably get a good idea of what it involves. Approximately, it's maybe 25% meat and dairy, 35% fruit and veg, 30% carbohydrates (bread, pasta etc.), and 10% other stuff such as deserts.

Have decently spaced meals... breakfast, lunch and dinner (2nd breakfast is ok usually), try not to snack in between. If you do snack then fruit such as grapes are good. Snacking in between meals usually would make someone overweight rather than underweight but these things can affect metabolism levels depending on what food exactly you eat and a combination of other things... so it can also make you lose weight. It's unpredictable avoid doing it.

And try to take in 2000 calories + of food a day in your meals.

If you want advice on supplements, as in artificially manufactured "food" (usually in powder form)... then I'd say you should go ask a doctor, or a nutritionist for reliable advice. I very occasionally take protein supplements and more frequently vitamin supplements (I'd recommend those for you actually), but protein supplements are only useful if you go to the gym and such stuff, so don't bother with them. There are carbohydrate supplements, designed to provide you with lasting energy for several hours... but actually a lot of problems people have with lack of energy arise from vitamin deficiencies... which in most cases is because their diet sucks. You get most of your vitamins from fruit and veg.

I use this one:
http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/alpha_men

It is in fact extremely effective, but still I like to limit my intake and not be dependant on such things. Supplements should not be taken as substitutes to normal food.

Closed Thread