TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
rockerbabe12292 Offline
The One and Only
Average Joe

Name: Jocie Oeser

Bye bye vegetarianism - March 24th 2009, 07:42 PM

so as of yesterday I am no longer a vegetarian. I have been a vegetarian for almost 3 years. I decided that I had to eat meat again because my health has been declining rapidly, I'm tired a lot, my hair is thinning, my nails break and rip like paper, so it was time. I'm still not sure how i feel about it though. I honestly feel guilty when I eat meat, like I'm doing something wrong. I know its healthier and it will all be fine once I get used to it, I just feel kinda weird about it now. The thought of eating meat has grossed me out for so long that I have built up a mental barrier, I'm suprised I didnt throw up. Any advice on how to get over this guilt and feel better about this?

RIP JESSIE, JACK, & DAVID <3

CJM <3 UNTIL THE END OF TIME

<3 JOCIE

http://www.theblogofjocie.blogspot.com
  Send a message via AIM to rockerbabe12292 Send a message via MSN to rockerbabe12292 Send a message via Yahoo to rockerbabe12292  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Living two lives
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Bye bye vegetarianism - March 24th 2009, 08:30 PM

i was gonna tell you to go back to vegitarianism **blush** i don't think it's the not eating meat that's doing your health no good, you're just probably not getting the right amount of vitamins/minerals/goodness. i've never eaten meat in my life, and i'm healthy but if eating meat'll make you healthier, then go for it.

days since last scratch - 2
  • I am strong
  • I am clever
  • I am beautiful
  • I am curvy
  • And right now I really need you

(#3 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Bye bye vegetarianism - March 25th 2009, 12:20 AM

As the person above has already said, you can be healthy and be a vegetarian, but if you want to eat meat again then go for it. I was a vegetarian for about 2 years but then i got ill and decided to start eating meat again, so a similar situation to you really. I never experienced any guilt really, it just took a bit of getting used to. It's bound to feel a bit weird eating meat for the first time in three years, but i think that you'll get used to it and won't think twice soon enough.
I don't think theres much you can do about it right now, just wait a week or two and i'm sure you'll be used to it again.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Pending...Work in progess
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: Bye bye vegetarianism - March 25th 2009, 01:56 AM

All I have to say is... Congratulations! Sorry about you feeling ill though.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hollifire Offline
Smile; you're beautiful.
I've been here a while

Name: Holly

Re: Bye bye vegetarianism - March 25th 2009, 03:28 AM

I'm pretty much a vegetarian. I wasn't consuming meat or anything, just soy products or veggie meat, but now, well a few weeks ago, I started eating turkey and chicken again, but that's about it. But I will consume the occasional red meat from time to time, but like to shy away from it as much as I can. I dunno, maybe I'm a hypocrite? lol. All I know is that I'll eat healthy as much as possible.

PM VM

x See the trick is that you're never supposed to act on it
No matter how unbearable this misery gets x

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Gemma =] Offline
Formerly camisado
Not a n00b

Name: Gemma

Re: Bye bye vegetarianism - March 26th 2009, 12:12 AM

Sorry you're feeling ill when you eat meat, food is supposed to be about enjotment aswell as a source of nutrients.

Like the others have said, you can stay vegetarian and also be healthy.
Have you tried going to your GP and explaining the situation to them?

I'm sure he/she could recommend a good multivitamin to supplement your diet if you wish to stay vegetarian.

Have some composure, where is your posture?
x

(#7 (permalink)) Old
rockerbabe12292 Offline
The One and Only
Average Joe

Re: Bye bye vegetarianism - March 26th 2009, 07:40 PM

i was taking vitamins and eating fish while i was a vegetarian, but apparently it wasn't enough because i still got ill, my hair was falling out, my nails were thinning, and i just felt weaker than normal. my doctor said that it was because i wasn't eating meat, and getting enough protein. so i started eating meat again. its been 3 days so far, and I've only eaten chicken. i just have to get used to this again.

<3 JOCIE

Send a message via AIM to rockerbabe12292 Send a message via MSN to rockerbabe12292 Send a message via Yahoo to rockerbabe12292  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Bye bye vegetarianism - March 26th 2009, 08:17 PM

Chicken won't do much, it's like the least nutrional meat, you can go back to being vegetarian, just make sure you get the right proteins, because most vegetarian food doesn't have all the types of protein you need. You just need to do more research.

But I'm afraid you'll need to start eating red meats because they're the protein and iron rich meats.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
laurax Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Laura

Re: Bye bye vegetarianism - March 27th 2009, 06:54 PM

its probably the iron that your body is craving, which meat is good at providing!
but you have to be careful after not eating meat for so long: your body might find it hard to digest meat such as beef or pork, because its simply not used to it!
you might try eating some more iron rich vegetables as well, such as spinach (if you dont like the texture of it cooked, try it raw, its often used in salads!), pulses, and other green leafy veg.
so yeah, dont head straight for the steak, you might not be able to handle it!

as for feeling uncomfortable, maybe you could just eat it with your family? that way, it was going to be eaten anyway, youre just there at the time? i dont know...sorry!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
rockerbabe12292 Offline
The One and Only
Average Joe

Re: Bye bye vegetarianism - March 27th 2009, 07:31 PM

actually my iron has been really high the entire time i was a vegetarian. i donate blood very often and every time i've gone my iron has been nice and high.

<3 JOCIE

(#11 (permalink)) Old
martintn Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Bye bye vegetarianism - March 31st 2009, 03:55 AM

Never really been a vegetarian so I don't have much experience with this, but I would assume with the right vitamin intake your health wouldn't decline just from lack of meat.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
simply_put Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Bye bye vegetarianism - March 31st 2009, 09:52 PM

Its possible but not particularly likely that your exclusion of meat from your diet was the direct cause of your deteriorating health. I'm currently vegan, and I am the healthiest I've ever been.

Most likely, you just forgot to maintain a stable balance between the nutrients that you couldn't get from meat (like the different parts of the complex proteins in meat).

To be balanced, one needs to look for replacement nutrients in multiple sources (not just one vegetable/legume that is known to have high protein). Because, chances are, that one source doesn't have all the proper forms of the protein you need.

As for the guilt, I don't really know what to say. You might want to reconsider your initial reasons for becoming vegetarian, and decide if you are proud of your new lifestyle choice.

But, ultimately, you can be the only one to reconvince yourself that that eating meat is acceptable again. (or not, hopefully! , I mean, I can't tell you if you're right or wrong, but I would certainly love it if you would stay a veggie, heeheehee)

(#13 (permalink)) Old
rockerbabe12292 Offline
The One and Only
Average Joe

Re: Bye bye vegetarianism - March 31st 2009, 10:37 PM

ya, that was one of the problems i had while i was a vegetarian, im allergic to things like nuts which have proteins. I have quite a few food allergies so maintaining a stable diet was a bit difficult, but i managed to do it for almost three years.

<3 JOCIE

(#14 (permalink)) Old
xXbrooke13Xx Offline
done w/all the fake ppl
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Brooke

Re: Bye bye vegetarianism - March 31st 2009, 10:43 PM

i've only been a vegetarian for like 5months
but my parents took me to the doctors cuz i was loosing so much weight...that was kinda my point to going vegetarian....but anyways
my doctor told me i needed to take vitamins daily and eat fish(which i already was doing) and she had me get some bloodwork done
i guess i was fine though,cuz she didnt tell me i should probably eat meat again,not that i would have anyways lol
maybe you could go back to vegetarianism,if u want,but just make sure you get enough protein,like you could have those protein shakes/drinks/bars that they make,the protein bars rnt too bad,i havent tried the drinks or shakes yet tho

~*fixed what was once broken*~

x7x13x

I.Love.You.<3

YOU ARE ON DRUGS,is what i think

so over you

KEEP MOVING FORWARD

need or wanna tlk,pm me nytime

Send a message via AIM to xXbrooke13Xx Send a message via Yahoo to xXbrooke13Xx  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
rockerbabe12292 Offline
The One and Only
Average Joe

Re: Bye bye vegetarianism - March 31st 2009, 10:44 PM

ya i was eating fish several times a week and taking a daily multi vitamin. Still I noticed that my hair was thinning, and my nails were like paper. It may not have been the meat that I was lacking, but I guess I'll find out if my health improves.

<3 JOCIE

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Bye bye vegetarianism - April 1st 2009, 01:37 PM

Honestly, it sounds like you have a protein deficiency. Red meat is not the only thing that will give you protein though. Beans have high amounts of protein, as does soy. Chicken also will give you protein. I eat chicken, only because I have to, and although it takes a while to get use to, it isn't as harsh as red meat on your stomach.

As for the guilt, well honestly don't know what to tell you there. I only eat animals that I'm not emotionally attached to, so I only eat chicken. Sometimes I feel guilty too, for harming an animal, but I have to think of how bad off my body will be if I don't eat chicken, as that's one of the only sources of protein I get.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
cchheellsseeaa Offline
<3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chelsea

Re: Bye bye vegetarianism - April 3rd 2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Contradiction View Post
i was gonna tell you to go back to vegitarianism **blush** i don't think it's the not eating meat that's doing your health no good, you're just probably not getting the right amount of vitamins/minerals/goodness. i've never eaten meat in my life, and i'm healthy but if eating meat'll make you healthier, then go for it.

i agree;; the vitamins and minerals thing. i had the same problem and im vegetarian and the doctor gave me a list of vitamins and whatnot and ive been taking those and it works. although i naturally have thin hair and weak nails haha

So, is that what you call a getaway?
Tell me what you got away with.
Cause I've seen more spine in jellyfish.
I've seen more guts in eleven-year-old kids.
Have another drink and drive yourself home.
I hope there's ice on all the roads.
And you can think of me when you forget your seatbelt,
and again when your head goes through the windshield.
  Send a message via MSN to cchheellsseeaa  
Closed Thread