TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Question Amnesia - December 30th 2011, 03:10 PM

Okay, this is pretty weird since I'm on the mod for this forum...

But I'm very confused. Last night I woke up at 11pm. I thought it was Tuesday when it was actually Thursday. So Jeff tells me I hit my head and had a headache but was doing fine up until I went to sleep.

I can't remember Wednesday or Thursday except for a movie we watched Thursday before I went to sleep.

I've never heard of forgetting DAYS before an injury. Has anyone else? All I found online is forgetting the moments leading up to the injury.

Also, should I see a doctor? Most websites don't really say. I mean, I want to see a doctor, but I have no insurance so it will really hurt our money situation. And, how do I tell my mom? Do I need to?

This is all just weird. ><

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Amnesia - December 30th 2011, 05:02 PM

I've heard of forgetting entire days due to trauma to the head as a more severe symptom of concussions and brain injury. The 2 personal experiences I've had with this were when my grandfather fell down a flight of stairs in his home and landed on the back of his head. His vision was warped and he had temporary memory loss. The other experience, although less relevant is myself when I had a fever of 40-42C/104-107F for a few days and was apparently given multiple ice baths at home and the hospital. I've had my fair share of concussions but they were not severe enough to cause such amnesia.

Do you experience anything else that you did not before the trauma, such as pins-and-needles tingling, dizziness, etc...? You can play pretend doctor by doing some quick tests on yourself, such as having Jeff and you view an Amsler grid. It's always suggested to see a doctor after head trauma but if your budget is tight and have no insurance, then you obviously must prioritize. If you don't experience further amnesia or anything else that was not present prior to the head trauma, you should be fine.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Re: Amnesia - December 30th 2011, 05:25 PM

I've been nauseous and a bit out-of-it. But I don't think those are severe symptoms. Other than the loss of the two days before the incident I'm feeling fine.

I do appreciate your reply It's pretty weird forgetting two days! Rather, creepy.

I've never heard of the Amsler grid, but just tested. No wavy lines! Thank you for the help I'll test with that a couple more times. I know we'll go to the ER if I have anymore memory loss or tingling.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lottie Offline
Retro TH'er- since 2007.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Lottie

Re: Amnesia - December 30th 2011, 05:59 PM

The case for most head injuries is to get it checked out. At the end of the day you can never be too cautious with head injuries. It would be good for the doctor to do some neuro-observations on you to see if all is ok. Chances are, they are fine. But because you've lost memory of a couple of days then I say it's good reason to get it looked at.

Edit: as far as i'm aware the Amsler grid is only used for neuro-ophthalmology? Not for neurological changes specifically.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Amnesia - December 31st 2011, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape_thereal_world
I know we'll go to the ER if I have anymore memory loss or tingling.

Also, consider going to the ER if the mild symptoms persist for some time even if they do not increase in severity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post

Edit: as far as i'm aware the Amsler grid is only used for neuro-ophthalmology? Not for neurological changes specifically.
You're correct, however, if one perceives distortions when viewing the Amsler grid that they did not have prior to the injury, it cannot determine the cause of the distortion but it provides a rationale for further testing. If it can be used for other purposes, then why not use it, no sense in restricting its usage from people who could benefit.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Re: Amnesia - December 31st 2011, 03:04 AM

Thank you both. I'm going to go ahead and close this. Very much appreciate your responses!

Just a small update: persistent dull headache, off-and-on nausea still but otherwise feeling well.

Closed Thread