TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

no matter what I do...I can't sleep! - January 9th 2012, 03:25 AM

I haven't been able to sleep in months! My sleep schedule has been all screwed up since my husband started nigh shift. I'm used to him being on nigh shift now, but at first I felt kind of lonely at night but now I totally comfortable with him working night shift but I still stay up real late at night when like Idid when he first began nightshift and that was months ago. I go to sleep at 2:00am even I have to get up early. Last semester I had a class at 9:30am and still went to bed at 2am. I got a morning class again this semester coming up and its a math class, the last class I had that was real early in the morning was history but math is a much harder subject for me...and its not ordinary math, its satistics. This class is going to be hard for me, and I really need to get on a good sleep schedule. This horrible sleeping schedule almost made me fail all my classes even though I studied, I had a hard time thinking in school and stayed tired. I can't deal with this anymore.I also got classes online and the only class I have thats actually at the college is my satistics class and I will be home most of the time and only at the college two days a week. I'm still on break and don't start classes until the 12th. Everyday while being on break I still go to bed at 2am and don't get up until 11am and sometimes 12pm. This getting out of control and needs to be fixed. any idea?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: no matter what I do...I can't sleep! - January 9th 2012, 09:51 PM

There's a couple things you can do. You could see a doctor to get some temporary meds to get you to sleep. Then once your body is used to sleeping at night, ween off them.

Another thing is to make sure you use your bed for sex and sleep only. Never have your phones in bed, tv, or computer on. Eating at LEAST 2 hours before bed is a good idea. Getting into a nightly routine such as at 9pm every night brushing your teeth, getting some water, then maybe lying in bed by 10pm, every night could help. If you can't sleep within 30min-1hour then get up, read a boring book like the dictionary, and this should help get you sleepy. Head back to bed. Sleep.

Don't get on the computer, read something interesting, do homework, etc. You want to do something very boring.

Another thing is to wear yourself out. MAKE yourself get up at 8am or whenever you need to every day, despite how exhausted you will be. Stay awake all day, physically exert yourself, and then sleep around the time you want to go to sleep.

Repeat. Just don't drive if you are that tired though. So start this the night before a day where you won't need to go somewhere.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Disneygirl94 Offline
I believe I Can Fly
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kaitlyn

Re: no matter what I do...I can't sleep! - January 11th 2012, 02:19 AM

I agree, if it keeps happening see your doctor becasue it could be a number of reasons from having too much energy to having to much on your mind that it causes stress. What helps me is I played bejeweled for about 30 before I get to sleep and by the time I am done with that my brain hurts where I want to just sleep. That is only one method though.

"My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return. "

(#4 (permalink)) Old
unforgettable00 Offline
No longer an active account.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: ~~

Re: no matter what I do...I can't sleep! - January 18th 2012, 04:13 AM

I had the same problem, but i started to take melatonin (it should be found in your vitamin section at a local store like walmart or shoppers drug mart, just ask the pharmascist there) it helps make you drowsie. it takes about a half an hour to an hour to kick in - which gives u time to shower, change, chill in bed for 9 or 10pm.

But that should be a last resort. first of, get into a routine! i agree with escape_thereal_worlds answer. shes spot on.
But ya, i use melatonin. the 5mg ones are usually good enough for me.
if that doesnt work, consult a doctor.

good luck!

~No Longer an active account~

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: no matter what I do...I can't sleep! - January 18th 2012, 11:26 AM

The only issue I have with melatonin is it can make some depressions worse. So be careful if you decide to use that.

Closed Thread