TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
All you need is love <3
Not a n00b

Name: Francesca or Frankie

Rapid weight loss.HELP ME - March 29th 2009, 11:07 AM

Hi guys.
I know you are not doctors and can't diagnose, but it is ages until my doctors appointment and I go away tomorrow, so I just wondered if you guys had any ideas...
Basically I was shopping with my mum yesterday and we realised I've gone down 2 dress sizes. Also gone down a cup size. Now I am not fat, but I have always been a plump UK ---. I have always hated this and tried to lose weight, and did a little bit. But recently I have not been trying to lose loads of weight. Due to my depression and anxeity I have eaten a bit less perhaps, but nothing that I've noticed. And if anything because of the depression I'm eating more, or an equal amount of chocolate etc. I have been running, but liike once every 2 weeks. Basically what I'm saying is I haven't done anything which would mean i would lose this much weight. Just a couple of months back, just after xmas, I was about [one number]. Now I am [somewhat smaller number]. This is surely not normal at 17.
What is this??
I have other things wrong with me, but I thought that was part of the depression. Is it possible the weight loss is another symptom of this, or is the depression a symptom. When I first starting feeling down just under a yr ago I had blood tests and they found nothing wrong with me....
sorry for this
just a bit scared and baffled really
xx

Last edited by Katrina; March 29th 2009 at 11:15 AM. Reason: No bodily weight numbers or sizes, please. They're against the ToS.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
monstermanx Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Brendan

Re: Rapid weight loss.HELP ME - March 29th 2009, 11:34 AM

Like you said, we're not doctors. However, if your eating less your body goes into a starvation mode and burns off the energy that you have. Then, when the energy goes, it goes to it's last resort: Fat, calories and carbohydrates! Many people refer to this as "Starvation mode" because it's when your body notices a change in your eating habits. However, I can personally vouche that when I switched my diet (I actually added more meals for the bulking purpose) then I also experienced some sudden weight loss... This was mainly because my body was getting what it thought it needed, however, shortly after I gained most of the weight back because I was back to drinking a gallon of water a day.

I will warn you thought that ANY kind of 'less eating' will result in weight gain, in the end of the cycle.

I mean, this isn't a for sure thing but don't be worried until you can't see, breathe or walk :P

I wish you the best,
MonsterManX

Do or do not, there is no try!" - Joey Kovar

(#3 (permalink)) Old
All you need is love <3
Not a n00b

Name: Francesca or Frankie

Re: Rapid weight loss.HELP ME - March 29th 2009, 11:37 AM

Thanks!
I know that any less eating will result in weight loss, and I have seen this before. What worries me is the speed of this. The rate of weight loss is more like if I had serisouly reduced hwat I was eating, which i seriously haven't. I still eat lots. I'm really worried. I acutally like my curves!!!xx

(#4 (permalink)) Old
monstermanx Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Rapid weight loss.HELP ME - March 29th 2009, 11:45 AM

Well I don't know how the female body works exactly... Because the girls I know, and who I have seen with or without clothes are little tiny chicks with not a pound of fat :P

But, if you loose weight, you won't loose your curves, I don't think. I mean, the hips and such come from your actual bones, not the meat hanging off them :P

Although... The cup size thing isn't too good, don't know what it was before, but going down a size probably doesn't make you too motivated to loose weight :P

If you need anything, anytime then PM me... I specialize in fitness :P

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kathey Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Rapid weight loss.HELP ME - March 29th 2009, 11:55 AM

Anxiety can burn off calories - what's known as 'nervous energy'. Being constantly jumpy etc takes a lot of energy.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
monstermanx Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Rapid weight loss.HELP ME - March 29th 2009, 02:33 PM

Anxiety doesn't burn calories. You can be as jumpy and have jitters as if you were having a seizure, and you'll burn like 3 calories an hour which isn't a powerful method of burning calories therefor not causing any weight loss.

45 Minutes on an elyptical machine, on high intensity and being consistent with it (No breaks or slow downs) will result in roughly 130 burned calories.

And you can be so nervous, your stomach sinks into itself and your sweating a flood and you won't loose weight.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
love__me Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Rachel Sanders

Re: Rapid weight loss.HELP ME - March 29th 2009, 05:02 PM

Not to be rude, but the two of you shouldn't be argueing in someone elses thread. I would seek advice from a doctor, or a dietition. I am not sure why you are lose weight, but A doctor can. If you ever need to talk, please feel free to PM me.

You are beautiful just the way you are.
Looking like a fallen star.
Don't listen to what people say.
They don't know the real you, anyways.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Kathey Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Rapid weight loss.HELP ME - March 29th 2009, 05:06 PM

I wasn't planning on arguing! I just put forward a possibility from my own experience, and it was criticised. I was just standing up for myself.

---

There are lots of possibilities, and it's good to check in with a medic.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
love__me Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Rachel Sanders

Re: Rapid weight loss.HELP ME - March 29th 2009, 05:49 PM

well, i'm sorry. but like i said to the OP, you should seek out the advice of a doctor.

You are beautiful just the way you are.
Looking like a fallen star.
Don't listen to what people say.
They don't know the real you, anyways.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
martintn Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Rapid weight loss.HELP ME - March 31st 2009, 03:43 AM

I went through a long period of severe depression after my dad passed away, and I never lost rapid amounts of weight ( wish i did!).

(#11 (permalink)) Old
monstermanx Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Rapid weight loss.HELP ME - March 31st 2009, 12:56 PM

You know what, I might be able to crack this case.

For one day can you track all the calories, carbs and such that you take in the day? Weigh yourself at lunch time, then the next day, weigh yourself at lunch time again and post up if you lost any...

(#12 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: Rapid weight loss.HELP ME - March 31st 2009, 04:37 PM

Hey Frankie,

I am sorry this is troubling you so much. As others have said I would voice your concerns to a doctor. If you don't wish to loose any more weight then try and start eating a little more a little more frequently. Keep it healthy and reasonably portioned unless you wish to gain all the weight you lost back. Is the issue that you just aren't hungry or is it that you are forgetting to eat? If you don't feel hungry doing a little bit of exercise each day can boost your appetite. Also, trying to have several small meals throughout the say might work better for you than three large ones. On the other hand, if you are just forgetting to eat try and keep some healthy snacks with you in your purse and make sure you have plans for eating meals if you are away from the house during mealtime. Also, try and eat a bit more when you do eat but listen to your body and stop when you are full. I think you might benefit from seeing a dietician and discussing your eating habits so you can get the bottom of this weight lose. Another tip is weighing yourself every couple of weeks so that you can spot your weight dropping before it gets out of control. I hope you figure things out soon. Take care.

Lots of love <3

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

Last edited by soul; March 31st 2009 at 04:48 PM.

Closed Thread