TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

10 Steps to Health At Every Size - February 11th 2012, 10:25 PM

I wasn't sure where this should go, so mods feel free to move it if need be. I found this on Tumblr and I thought I'd share it because it's honestly so great.

Quote:
Think of these steps as a dance rather than a linear progression. Move from one to another and back again as fits your own personal style and journey.

Stop weighing yourself. Shift your focus from weight & body fat to healthy behaviors and fitness.

Live now, not in the past or future. Live your life as if you were at your desired weight—including wearing beautiful, comfortable clothing in your present size.

Eat well & mindfully. Enjoy your food. Let nothing be off-limits—there are no forbidden foods.

Listen to your body and give yourself and your body what you need to thrive: balanced nutrition, adequate sleep, regular exercise.

Love & accept yourself as you are, & others as they are. Refuse to engage in fat prejudice toward yourself or others.

Feed your soul with meaningful and enjoyable recreation, relationships, work, & spirituality. Clear out toxic environments/relationships/behavior patterns. Build a nourishing community: surrounding yourself with size-friendly people (friends, therapists, doctors) & images of happy, successful people of all sizes.

Connect mind & body. Increase body awareness through yoga, walking meditation, tai chi, qi gong, massage, & bodywork, movement therapy (such as Feldenkrais). Focus on what your body can do and how good it can feel.

Decrease self-criticism & body judgment, increase positive, supportive self-talk. Talk to yourself & your body the way you would a cherished friend or loved one.

Address any emotional eating or body image issues independent of weight change. Attitudes & opinions are easier (& healthier) to change than body size.

Invest time & money in yourself rather than the diet industry.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: 10 Steps to Health At Every Size - February 12th 2012, 12:34 AM

I do like those tips up there but the site and cause in general I think is wrong.

'Health at every size' No. If you're too fat, it's unhealthy. If you're too thin, it's unhealthy.

I read part of their site and it's talking about how we've lost the war on obesity so we should just give up and let all of these people be obese and tell them to love themselves as they are because they're healthy.

I'm all for trying to promote loving yourself but to say that people who are obese are healthy is just a blatant lie...just like those who are anorexic aren't healthy either.

http://www.haescommunity.org/ This is the site by the way.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Online
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: 10 Steps to Health At Every Size - February 12th 2012, 12:42 AM

While I agree that being overweight or underweight is unhealthy, there are people who are mistaken as anorexic who are perfectly healthy (my best friend is an example) and being a few pounds overweight is no reason to beat yourself up, get checked for health problems and don't beat yourself up if you're healthy and happen not to be what society would consider perfect or because you gained a little weight in the last 10 years. I think that's what it's saying.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Re: 10 Steps to Health At Every Size - February 12th 2012, 12:44 AM

I get that Kate and I don't disagree with you but the line that says "We've lost the war on obesity" is just the think that makes me think. Obese people have lots of health issues so surely them getting a better diet and exercising to lose some of the weight is a better thing to promote.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Online
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: 10 Steps to Health At Every Size - February 12th 2012, 12:52 AM

I've never heard anyone say that, and I didn't reference that quote. I completely agree, but if people don't accept themselves it can lead to being overweight or developing an eating disorder, or any number of negative things. I think we need to balace management of the obesity crisis with things like this so that people don't become obsessed or develop eating disorders because they go too far in the other direction trying not to become obese, or because their body has changed over time and they don't weigh what they did in high school anymore.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: 10 Steps to Health At Every Size - February 12th 2012, 01:36 AM

I think you guys are giving way too much thought into the title. The actual tips, I agree with all of them. Even if you are obese or too skinny, these tips apply. You don't need to be weighing yourself constantly even if you're trying to lose weight, and you should still be exercising if you're anorexic. I think this is a really good inbetween tips.

I really wouldn't mind this being moved to ED in recovery quotes. But that's just me. Bahaha.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Re: 10 Steps to Health At Every Size - February 12th 2012, 01:39 AM

I'm not just talking about the titles Traci

I'm talking about the actual website/book that this is from.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: 10 Steps to Health At Every Size - February 12th 2012, 05:41 AM

Ah, the blog that I got it from didn't cite the source. I just thought the tips themselves were nice.

Closed Thread