TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Cold? Allergies? - February 27th 2012, 04:13 PM

I should preface this by saying that, despite living in an area with lots of allergens, I really don't have any. Cedar, Oak, pollen, mold etc. don't really bother me. I don't have problems in that area.

In the last 6-8 weeks, though, I have had what appears to be a cold three times. Every single time I start getting the sore throat, dragged down feeling and know what is coming. Within two days, it's pretty bad. The first time there was a fever with it, but not since. For another 2 days or so it stays pretty bad (running and stuffy nose, exhaustion, sore throat, sometimes a cough, lots of sneezing), then seems to go downhill slowly. The total duration is 7-8 days. Two weeks will go by and suddenly I have a cold again, like clockwork.

It feels like a standard cold to me, but I am quite puzzled as to how I keep getting it so frequently and so exactly the same. The first time I was feeling crummy a day before I went to my boyfriend's house and the last two times (which includes my current cold) it's started at his house. He hasn't gotten sick at all, save for a few mild symptoms after my first cold. His house isn't the cleanest, so I wondered if it might be mold or something. But I go there every week; how come it is only every two weeks I get sick?

Any opinions are appreciated.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Cold? Allergies? - February 27th 2012, 04:17 PM

I say go to a doctor.
I also say you can develop allergies at any age, this is the first year I've had allergies due to snow melt.
The only person who could really tell you though is a doctor, nobody here could tell you for sure as we don't follow you around all day, nor are any of us (that I know of) trained as general practitioners of medicine.

I'm sure it's nothing too serious though

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
ForgetMeNot9 Offline
Muggle
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Cold? Allergies? - February 27th 2012, 09:12 PM

I would say that your best bet would be to consult a doctor about this. But, I had something similar to this a while back where I would feel awful, and have a cold, or flu-like symptoms and then it would go away. Then after a couple weeks it would come back. It turned out that I had a virus so I just had to let it run it's course. However, you could have allergies or if like you said, your boyfriends house isn't the cleanest, it could be a reaction to something in that house. Like I said, just go see your doctor. Good luck!

Rescue is possible. Love is the movement ♥

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Cold? Allergies? - February 27th 2012, 09:42 PM

There really isn't much I can add to this. Your symptoms are very common ones for several illnesses and, of course, allergies. A doctor would be able to tell you what is causing it, so I do suggest it since it is reoccurring.

It could be an illness that just hasn't gone away. Sometimes the symptoms subside, but then spike up again due to various triggers.

Allergies could happen some days and not on others, so if it is that, it makes sense it wouldn't happen every week. Perhaps there isn't a consistent allergen there, but is only there sometimes.

Does he wash his bed every two weeks? Does he perhaps dust every two weeks without realizing? Vacuum? Those are ideas to consider.

But, overall, there isn't much to go off. A doctor will definitely be able to help because they can examine you, look at your throat, nose, eyes. See if there is mucus, or just irritation. They can take your temperature and see if it's slightly elevated or none at all. And they will probably ask better questions than us here to determine what you might have.

Hope you get feeling better soon though!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Cold? Allergies? - February 28th 2012, 08:56 AM

Colds are quite common this time of year but like everyone else has said get it checked out as allergies can develop at any time.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

Closed Thread