TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
oldaccount Offline
I can't get enough

Reasons Not to Smoke Marijuana. - May 2nd 2012, 12:49 AM

I'm having a hard time not justifying relapsing into marijuana. It's been 40 days, and I don't want to have to start over again at 1, but the temptation to get out of my head and just disappear is so overwhelming. Could someone give me a list of reasons why I should never do it again?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: Reasons Not to Smoke Marijuana. - May 2nd 2012, 01:32 AM

Hey,

One of the biggest reasons to stay sober is that you've earned everyday (hell, every second) of your sobriety and I know it hasn't been easy. Scraping your sobriety would mean having to start over at day 1 and it feels a million times harder in the beginning than it does once you've gotten the hang of things. Sure, you have bad days and good even after the first few weeks but the very beginning is the biggest hill and you're almost to the top (60 days sober). I know you can get to that 60 day mark clean and sober. You already resisted the temptation of April 20th which is a big accomplishment in itself. Other than giving up all you've achieved with your sobriety here are some other reasons not to smoke marijuana.

Not all reasons not to smoke marijuana necessarily apply to you. The choice either to smoke marijuana or not to is a very personal one. Something inside you thought it wasn't a good idea for you to smoke marijuana otherwise you wouldn't have gotten sober in the first place. What made you want to get sober in the first place? How was marijuana negatively impacting your life? Did it have a negative impact in any of these areas:

-Your decision making: Have you ever done things after smoking marijuana that you wouldn't have done sober like putting yourself in a dangerous situation or behaving in ways you regret.

-Your relationships: Has the decision to smoke marijuana in the past hurt the people you love or cause you to hang out with potentially dangerous people (it is highly likely to get killed or hurt during a drug deal even if it is for marijuana).

-Your goals: Did your goals change in a negative way after you started smoking marijuana? Did you stop caring about school or have a slip in grades?

-Your future: Every time you either have marijuana with you or smoke marijuana you run the risk of being arrested. Having a police record is NEVER a good thing for your future. It could keep you from getting into the college of your dreams or landing the job of your dreams.

The real question you need to ask yourself is why you stopped in the first place. What negative aspects of your live were caused or made worse by smoking marijuana? And do you really want to give up the sobriety that you have worked so hard for?

Lots of love<3 Mimi

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Reasons Not to Smoke Marijuana. - May 2nd 2012, 01:38 AM

Reason number 1: It's probably illegal in your jurisdiction.

Therefore if you get with any on you . . . fines, jail time, police record - you know, the whole shebang.

Reason number 2: There is some evidence of correlation between marijuana usage and mental illness. Not a whole lot, but some.

Reason number 3: Because if you don't get stoned, you'll be able to mark it up as a huge accomplishment - you managed not JUST 40 days, but ALSO to beat the cravings you had at 40 days!

Also remember, marijuana is psychologically addictive, meaning that the craving is for the feeling of being stoned, not for the drug itself, as in the case of nicotine.

Well done on getting to 40 days! Take a step back and congratulate yourself on that huge achievement

(#4 (permalink)) Old
oldaccount Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Reasons Not to Smoke Marijuana. - May 2nd 2012, 03:19 AM

I wanted to get sober because I got grounded for getting caught and my mom told the parents of the boys that I smoked with.
It is illegal in my jurisdiction. A boy on my bus got arrested for dealing it out.
I don't wanna give up my sobriety but I don't have other ways to cope...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Reasons Not to Smoke Marijuana. - May 2nd 2012, 03:31 AM

Is there anybody you can talk to about finding other ways to cope or stress-management techniques? I know of a few but not off the top of me head. If you'd like to chat further about coping mechanisms and so forth feel free to PM me.

And keep holding on to your sobriety, you've done so well.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
oldaccount Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Reasons Not to Smoke Marijuana. - May 2nd 2012, 03:42 AM

Thank you... It's been hard, because I'm best friends with a hardcore pot user. It's been difficult not to ask her for some.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Michy_Blackrose Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Michy

Re: Reasons Not to Smoke Marijuana. - May 2nd 2012, 12:11 PM

I'm an ex-substance abuser and addict, cannabis being one of my primary addictions, apart from alcohol. It led me into a very dark place mentally, and caused me a lot of physical suffering, too.

PM me if you'd like, I'll try to help and give some advice

You're not alone, cravings are very difficult to manage, but you can keep striving.

Michy.

And I was in the darkness,
So darkness I became.

<3
  Send a message via MSN to Michy_Blackrose  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
oldaccount Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Reasons Not to Smoke Marijuana. - May 2nd 2012, 01:56 PM

Thank you... your support means a lot.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
LiuLiu Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Reasons Not to Smoke Marijuana. - May 10th 2012, 11:05 AM

Honestly I think you're doing pretty amazing, I am still currently addicted to marijuana :/ err I feel like I can stop but I just don't want to, and basically if you let yourself slide I think it will be so much harder for you to quit. Please hold out for a little more or you might end up like me, smoking 2 days before my IGCSE's, seriously, that shit is not good for your grades
One way I had of coping or to emulate the high I get off weed or MDMA or E is to listen to some heavy songs that I also listened when stoned/wired. the sort of heavy dubstep or drum'n'bass that has insane bass. anyway that's one thing that helps me, might not work for you but give it a go.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread