TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
VeNoM Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ronald

Unhappy Question about weed use and finding a police officer job. - June 20th 2012, 01:50 AM

I am an idiot I really am. I want to become a police officer, this year I have decided that. But there is a problem. I have smoked weed a month or two back just 1 hit of a joint, but today with a friend I smoked a few pipe full or whatever it was. After I started to research what they ask you at an interview for a police job and i'm finding out they are very strict about past weed use. Some departments even use a lie detector. But i am finding mixed answers. Some say most don't really consider it a bad factor if you have not done it in a good few years or have not done it more than a certain amount of times, but other people are saying it is an automatic disqualification of the job in most departments. Also some are saying it just depends on the department all together and some are more strict I am so pissed at myself I did something illegal and I want to stop crime and I am afraid this is going to kill my dream of being a cop. Someone please help. Anybodies parents police officers and can give me a good answers? Thanks!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Toxic Roses Offline
Imma Monster ha ha ha
Not a n00b

Name: Anna

Re: Question about weed use and finding a police officer job. - June 20th 2012, 02:50 AM

Well first off, you are ony 15, you have at the very least almost over 2 years until you can even apply to be a police officer. Just try to calm down, and remind yourself that this is what you want to do, refuse to do anything illegal from now on. It depends on the area in which you are applying as well as the position you are applying for, but if you are truthful, and stop using it now, then you can probably still become a cop. If and when they ask, be honest, say you used it a couple times as a teen, and haven't since then and do not plan to. Assuming that's the truth by then. Just calm down, because like I said, you have at the very least, more than 2 years.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
VeNoM Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ronald

Re: Question about weed use and finding a police officer job. - June 20th 2012, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Roses View Post
Well first off, you are ony 15, you have at the very least almost over 2 years until you can even apply to be a police officer. Just try to calm down, and remind yourself that this is what you want to do, refuse to do anything illegal from now on. It depends on the area in which you are applying as well as the position you are applying for, but if you are truthful, and stop using it now, then you can probably still become a cop. If and when they ask, be honest, say you used it a couple times as a teen, and haven't since then and do not plan to. Assuming that's the truth by then. Just calm down, because like I said, you have at the very least, more than 2 years.
Thanks a lot I plan not to do anything like that for now on.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Mitch Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mitchell

Re: Question about weed use and finding a police officer job. - June 20th 2012, 06:21 AM

It could be about 3 years after finishing school before you ever graduate to become a police officer or a qualified law enforcement agent, based on the Queensland requirements at least. Over here, you have to complete a Cert 3 and a Diploma (advanced if you wish) in Police Studies and Justice respectively, which can take a year full time (20 hours study for 24 weeks) or up to 2 part time. Even then, you have to have a high level of physical fitness, pass theory and practical training at an academy which can take 2 years at least. So you have a long time to weigh things up. After so long, if your grades are good, I am sure your past history with drugs etc would be relatively forgotten. Just try your best through school and get good grades and I am sure they would consider you.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Question about weed use and finding a police officer job. - June 20th 2012, 07:18 PM

Well, number one, most police departments expect a higher education than just high school. I know they SAY that high school is all that is required, so theoretically, you could spend a few years in the military or learning a trade etc. but generally speaking, they value college or university levels of education. They like to see SOME life experience rather than just taking kids straight out of high school like the military will. I think the average age for the RCMP is 25-26 and I think the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) is 23-25 roughly. See my point? So you probably have a good 10 years before you can expect to be working for them. Though people DO get in younger.

AND I think they are A LOT stricter on drug use if you are an adult while doing it. Think about the logic here, if you get busted for smoking weed (possession) then it gets expunged when you turn 18, an 18-19 year old will not get the thing expunged quite so easily know what I mean? People allow a lot more leeway for minors to screw up than for adults who should "know better" to screw up. If you know you want to be a cop you should stop doing things like smoking weed, that way if you know you won't lie when asked you can be like "yeah, I tried it at 15 but never did it again because I realized how severe the consequences could be" or some such BS like that....

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: Question about weed use and finding a police officer job. - June 21st 2012, 02:00 AM

I agree with above I'm pretty sure they know most kids mess around at least once. It's more of a question of whether you did it a long time or through adulthood and got into other drugs kind of thing. I'm sure there are plenty of cops out there who have smoked pot haha. Plus if you're research is correct, just apply to a place that doesn't care much about past drug use.

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
JohnCoop Offline
Average Joe

Name: John W. Cooper

Re: Question about weed use and finding a police officer job. - June 26th 2012, 07:21 PM

If you wanna be a cop stop using now. My uncle is a cop and my granddad was the former deputy chief of Dallas PD back in the 1980s, my uncle said he knew a few guys on the department who had a harder time getting hired because they admitted to drug use during their high school years. It isn't a deal breaker per se (at least with the department he works for) but it may knock you down several slots on the waiting lists. You're only 15 now so you've got PLENTY of time to get this whole business sorted out.

Good Luck!!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Prof.Engrish Offline
愛してる
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Question about weed use and finding a police officer job. - June 28th 2012, 12:26 AM

Do you live in the USA?

I know for a fact that to be a police officer in the USA,most of the time they won't use a lie dector on you. For the most part they prob will ask you to do a drug test. Just try your best to stop now while your young, weed fully exits your body in a couple weeks(and won't show up in a drug test after) but as you get older the more and more habit forming it will be. If you stop cold turkey now by the time you graduate from high school you will be fine.

Good luck

"This is 10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Concentrated Power of Will, 5% Pleasure, 15% Pain; And a 100% reason to remember the name!"
Buddy/Live Help Operator/Technology and Gaming & Current Event and Debates Forum Moderator
PM/VM
  Send a message via AIM to Prof.Engrish  
Closed Thread